Options

New CO/LP detector?

pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,679
edited December 2021 in Products and Accessories
Anyone with a newer trailer have this type of CO/LP alarm?
Here is a link to the Manual for it.

2017 Outback
Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited December 2021
    Sorry, I don't have experience with that one, but it's a little more 'attractive' than our earlier one is.

I realized while reading about it though, that CO detectors should be installed near the ceiling. (CO is lighter than air), whereas propane detectors need to be near the floor (heavier), so combining these, as ours are, is kind of "counter-productive".

Ours is near the floor. Maybe installing a second one, near the ceiling, makes sense! Being passed out before the CO detector goes off wouldn't work very well...

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,679
    You can fall down the rabbit hole on carbon monoxide detector placing.
    CO is lighter than air....but not so light it will simply drift toward the ceiling.  But, if the radiant heat of the Alde presses the CO toward the ceiling.........
    It would seem a better spot would be somewhere a little higher in the trailer.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    edited December 2021
    Well, on my 2019 at least, the smoke detector is up high. I haven’t checked to see if it’s a combo smoke/CO unit, but if not, it’s easy enough and cheap enough to replace with a combo one. Then you’d have coverage for CO from two different heights.

This new one really is better looking, the black matches the converter cover. I may have to track one down, since I’m toying with relocating mine and putting the Lagun mount in its place anyway. Hmmm… 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW