Options

Brake controller

I purchased an ECHO brake controller along with my new TAB 320S Boondock last May (I am towing with a Tacoma without a towing package).  The dealer installed it and synced it with my phone.  Since then I lost my phone -- no problem I am told, the PIN and serial number are under the flap.  But...not on my ECHO - its like a baby's bottom - no little stickers.  No problem, there is a back-up on a business card....except I wasn't given the card (I'm pretty sure -- I keep everything).  I'm just wondering if anyone  else has had this problem? Apparently I am now the proud owner of a $300 electronic device that can't be recognized.
 So my second question is do I need a brake controller? and my third is Can anyone recommend a good brake controller?

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Well, unless you have an older Tab with surge brakes, towing without a controller means towing without brakes. Legally, brakes may or may not be required. State law determines that, usually by trailer weight. Problem is, are you going to look up every state to see if it’s legal before you travel there?

As far as your vehicle goes, your owners manual will tell you if trailer brakes are required. Generally most vehicles state that brakes are required over a certain weight, often that weight is as little as 1000 pounds. Obviously both Tab models exceed that even empty.

From an insurance/liability standpoint, if trailer brakes are provided on the trailer, it’s expected you will utilize them. Not doing so could potentially put you at risk of greater liability in an accident. 

On a practical level, the Tacoma could probably manage a 320 without brakes. But common sense wise, it makes sense to protect your expensive trailer by adding a new brake controller. Yes, it stinks that you have a $300 paperweight, but spending another $300 is better than endangering your RV or other people on the road. If you want to stay wireless, the Tekonsha Prodigy RF is a popular choice that isn’t dependent on your phone.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    Have you tried contacting the brake controller manufacturer? I am sure they have a resolution for situation such as yours. 
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    foureman1foureman1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi weber23,
     You'd think so wouldn't you?  They basically said tough luck - its not our fault if there's no sticker!  Except....they are the only ones who could place the sticker. And it is not there -- the controller has been in my bedroom under a shelf so it's not like it washed off in the rain!
      The manufacturer by the way is CURT.
  • Options
    VictoriaP,  Yes - I'm totally on board.  The TAB is in the driveway until the controller issue is resolved :|And, hey - it WILL make a great paperweight!

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 448
    From what I understand if you have set up the controller in the past it continues to work even without the phone connection. Obviously you won't be able to change the settings or use the manual override. 
    Depending on your proclivity for digging into things here's what I would do: As it is a bluetooth device there should be a FCC ID on it somewhere. Use that to figure out who actually makes the thing. (Curt is more into welding than assembling SMD PCBs  :) ) Slim chance the FCC docs might reveal how the pin is calculated but there may be some contact info. 
  • Options
    Previous vitriol and frustration notwithstanding...my dealer graciously simple replaced the brake controller.  They agreed there were no stickers - we double checked it and believe me the pin and serial number are in several places!  Thank you Tom's Camperland in Mesa!!