Front Window Falling Out of T@B - Suggestions? Remedies?

ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
edited September 2022 in Products and Accessories
I live in Phoenix, AZ so I'm told that this might have something to do with the window falling out of the top track. It's been suggested the heat has warped it but visually everyone looks fine. It literally bakes here in the Phoenix summer weather so I guess it would depend on the heat tolerance of the window material. I haven't been able to find anything from anyone else on this forum whereby anyone else reported this problem. So far, I tried replacing the end caps after looking at another owner's T@B front window thinking that might be the issue. That's not it. I had a friend help me take the window completely off and we measured and inspected the aluminum rack according to the specs of the pics sent to me from the Trans Atlantic Products CSR, as well as the lip of the window that fits in that track. Nothing looks warped or damaged, but I have some rubbing off of the finish of the trailer where the window sits when it's closed and when I open the front window, it lifts out of the track on the passenger side. My friend thinks the window is rubbing on the trailer when it's in motion due to the window being loose in the track.
I did a temporary MacGyver fix with a plastic cable casing from Home Depot and it will hold the window in place when I open it, but this is not a permanent fix. It's the same as this one from Ace Hardware, pic below. I contacted customer service at Trans Atlantic Products. They were very helpful. From what the CSR told me, I would be able to purchase only the items of the window assembly that need to be replaced versus purchasing a complete new window assembly from the dealership which is about $350 from what I've been told. Anyone having this similar issue? What did you decide was the actual issue? Is it the aluminum track? The window itself? Or what did you come up with?
Scratching from window

Pic of measurements of the track and window from Trans Atlantic CSR

Window falling out of track when opening

A pic of the window and track for reference. This side seems to stay put mostly but it can be lifted out of the track as shown.

We took the window and the aluminum track off to visually inspect and measure. Everything looks fine.

My MacGyver fix that prevents the window from lifting (falling out) when opening, I can remove it when the window is closed as the window has no way of falling out when it's latched closed. 

A cross section of the plastic casing I used to hold the window in place

Legrand Cordmate used for temporary MacGyver fix

2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ

Comments

• RayJimRayJim Member Posts: 128
    edited January 2022
    If you can insert the window onto the aluminum rail without having to slide it out, there is too much of a gap in the window hinge. I had the dealer install new window last month and now when I park it in my driveway, I cover the windows with a heat reflecting material, it keeps the window from heating up all day in the sun. Hopefully this will help prevent a reoccurrence of the warping of the hinge.
    2021 T@B Boondock 400. 2021 Toyota SR5 V6
    Look at this brand-new window hinge the corners are straight.

• ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    edited January 2022
    Edit: My side windows are perfectly straight like this. I think this is a side window pic if I'm not mistaken so much of what I'vesaid is probably moot.
    @RayJim your new window looks really straight! After seeing your pic, I think mine is bowed/warped some.
    Thank you for sharing. It makes a huge difference. Also the explanation about the sliding in/out without having to remove the track. I think that's what you're saying and what I've read?
    What do your window coverings look like? And what state are you in? I have been using reflectix on the inside and was informed recently from another T@B owner that this is not a good idea. Maybe it's what caused the warping, or maybe it's just from the AZ heat.
    Closing the the shade on the inside during the day will cause the window to heat up and would be the same as putting heat reflective material on the inside. I live in southern California and the back of my trailer faces the sun most of the day, so it gets very hot. Since I added the reflective material to the outside of the window the window is cool to the touch mid-day, and the inside of the trailer is much cooler.  I bought a role of heat reflecting material from amazon and cut it to size for both the front and back window. then I used painters tape that won't leave a residue removed, to attach the cover over the back window. 

Reflectix BP24025 24-Inch by 25-Feet Bubble Pack Insulation - Pipe Insulation - Amazon.com

I needed to make it wider for the back window so I used duct tape to tape to parts that I cut that would cover the back window then covered the duct tape with a reflective aluminum tape.

Amazon.com: TYLife Aluminum Foil Tape,2In x 108Ft 5.9 Mil Aluminum Air Duct Repair Tape, High Temp and Heavy Duty Metal Foil Tape for HVAC, Pipe, Sealing & Patching Hot & Cold Air Ducts, Metal Repair, Insulation : Everything Else
    You have to remove the track to install a new window, the new window and the and the removable track are slide on the the trailer bracket together when installing.
    edited January 2022
    @RayJim The CSR from TransAtlantic looked at my pics on this comment thread. This is what he circled from one of the pics I posted saying he thought the track looked like it was spread although I had nothing to compare it to and the measurements seemed fine but apparently it's not.
    Were your replacement windows covered under warranty? I'm hoping this one is! Thank you for your help.

Yes, my windows were covered during the first year of ownership, during that time I had a total of 4 windows replaced, two in the back and two in the front, all had the same problem. I
    I don't see any picture just an empty box where the picture should be
    RayJim said:
    I don't see any picture just an empty box where the picture should be

Look again after rebooting your pc or phone. It's a cache problem. The pic is there. ;)
    RayJim said:
    Yes, my windows were covered during the first year of ownership, during that time I had a total of 4 windows replaced, two in the back and two in the front, all had the same problem. I

Wow! That must've been a huge headache! I just talked with Dan from TransAtlantic yesterday and we were discussing the covering up of the windows or shutting the shades, all are advised against due to the "slight possibility" of warping. He said out of hundreds of thousands of windows they only see this happen on occasion. He also thought he remembered your situation.
    Do you have any idea what caused this? Were your windows covered as in shades closed or some other way of sealing them up? I have reflectix in mine and the shades closed, which I need to remove and open I guess. I'm not as concerned until I replace the window and it's cool here now.
    Does anyone have a fix for the scratched off skin from (what appears now to me to be) a warped front window?
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 605
    If you're referring to the clear film on the trailer body, search 3M protective film tape.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
    edited January 2022
    @Horigan, it's actually the silver/gray skin that's cut through on both rounded bottom corners where the window meets the trailer.

I'm fairly certain it was the heat of the sun shining on the back window all summer and or me not opening the inside shade all the way, I am now leaving the inside shades open and covering the widow from the outside when I have it parked. Hopefully that works.
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 605
    ReenieG said:
    @Horigan, it's actually the silver/gray skin that's cut through on both rounded bottom corners where the window meets the trailer.

That's too bad.  My trailer has protective film there to protect the skin.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
    @RayJim interesting... Dan from TransAtlantic told me they manufacture hundreds of thousands of these windows and this rarely happens. I also stopped at Tom's Camperland in Surprise, AZ today where I bought my T@B used to inquire about the cost of a new window. He interrupted my sentence with knowing about the window track being faulty. So, apparently, this IS an issue at least in Arizona from the extreme sun and heat and in So Cal.
     I also purchased our T@B in Mesa Arizona and have made two trips out there to have new windows installed.  The service department staff were the ones that told me they have had customers come in with the same problem usually in the summer, and they believe that is is the heat causing the problem. 
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Just want to chime in to say that I have Reflectix covers for my windows BUT I used a 24” wide roll, so there is a gap at the top (the window is taller than 24”) and the covers are only loosely held in place by the window locks. IOW there is plenty of room for heat to escape. If I was parking a T@B for a long time in 90+ temps I would cover the whole trailer and leave the roof vent open a little bit. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    To add my updates to this discussion, I decided to NOT replace the window since this seems this will only happen again, under the circumstances so for now, anyway, this is what I've done (pics to follow) and this is what I'm planning to do, in case anyone else is dealing with this issue:
    1. The ONLY window that seems to get hot to the touch or have a problem with the track warping is my front window. I believe it's the hot desert sun, yes, @RayJim, that's the main contributor.
    2. I measured the front of the T@B with a straight edge to check for any warping or abnormalities as suggested by Dan from TransAtlantic. The trailer is straight so it's definitely the window.
    3. I removed the reflectix from the front window only, (for now anyway) since it seems the only real issue is that front window. I believe it's the design that makes it get so hot. It's just like a windshield shape (curved and angled) and whenever I camp, that window is oftentimes the only one that seems to have the sun beating on it where it gets hot to the touch and I often close the shade at least part of the way for part of the day.
    4. I put a tiny amount of gray caulking where the skin is cut on the trailer and covered that up with some leather/vinyl repair clear tape I had on hand. This "should" prevent further cutting into the skin of the trailer. I'll have to see how that holds up.
    5. As for the MacGyver fix (the cable casing) on the passenger side of the window, this assures I won't accidentally lift the window out of the track when I open it. Since there's nothing broken off of that hinge, when it's closed, it's closed just like any other window.
    6. I thought about how the awnings I made protect the window, and thought I would experiment with a little window storage awning made out of the reflectix I removed from the front window. My first thought was to simply put an awning on the front window while in storage but from my experience with my hot tub cover cover, any awning I would leave on would become a faded out rag in a minute, so unless I made something better than even outdoor fabric, it won't hold up. I'm planning on sewing elastic to the reflectix I removed and attach that to the outside of the front window just like an awning. Hey, who knows, maybe these will become a new T@B thing! I'll post pics when I've completed this. Stay tuned!!

Marceline said:
    Just want to chime in to say that I have Reflectix covers for my windows BUT I used a 24” wide roll, so there is a gap at the top (the window is taller than 24”) and the covers are only loosely held in place by the window locks. IOW there is plenty of room for heat to escape. If I was parking a T@B for a long time in 90+ temps I would cover the whole trailer and leave the roof vent open a little bit. 

@Marceline, this seems to be a problem from the southern beating sun on the windows. From the manufacturer of these windows, even closing the shades is a no no when not in use. Dan from TransAtlantic explained that the shades contain a small amount of metal similar to the reflectix and 'these trailers are designed to retain heat vs loss of heat,' so according to Dan, even the shades should remain open during storage. In addition, there is some normal venting through the a/c vent on the driver side of the trailer.
    I cover my trailer during the summer when not in use, but even still, this is Arizona we are talking about and it is what it is.
  • Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    We live in Massachusetts, and the sun in our driveway was hot enough to warp the dinette window in our 2018 T@B 400. I used to keep the shades closed when we weren't using it, and one day we noticed dirt and rain on the table. After scrutinizing the front window, I could see a small gap at the top hinge area, where the window had warped. We had to replace the window. It's not just desert sun that will ruin these windows if the shades are closed! 

@Deb55 good to know; not so good for you though, bummer. You say you replaced the window. So what did you do afterwards to avoid this from happening again? Are you simply leaving the window shades open now? Is that enough to avoid future warping on your replacement?

Here's my plan, subject to change:

I removed the reflectix from inside the front window. Since my window is already warped, I decided not to replace it and have this repeat as it seems to have with @RayJim so instead, I'm planning on making an awning out of reflectix to put over the front window (then the sides after I figure out how to make a good awning for the front) and "measure" the coolness of the window and inside of trailer by doing this.

Since I don't see anything structurally wrong with the window per se, I plan on continuing with my MacGyver fix until I troubleshoot this and know that I can (hopefully) prevent this from happening in the future since this seems it would be a recurring expensive replacement.

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420

In sunny weather, I have found, opening the privacy shade, opening the bottom of the window to its open latch position, and pulling the bug screen down works well. Air temp. is able to equalize on both sides, get some air flow inside the trailer with the top vent partially open, and so far two summers into the new front window, no wrapping, and window still seals when shut. Even if it rains, water will not leak in when window is in the “vent” position.

Cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.

I just got a price in a new front window from Tom's Camperland, Surprise, AZ.

Window - $425.00

Shipping - $40

Tax - $36.13

Total = $501.13

Yikes! That's without installation. Hopefully my MacGyver fix will make do for awhile.

edited January 2022

Wow, I would have spent around $2,500 for the windows I had to replace. I'm glad Nucamp and Transatlantic were able to help me out during the warranty period. Going to keep the new windows covered during the day when its stored and keep the roof vent cracked to allow for ventilation during warm sunny days.

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299

@ReenieG, I would recommend adding a full trailer cover to your plan. Get a good one that includes both UV and weather protection. Also, be sure to leave the roof vent open slightly as well as opening the front window and driver's side windows to the first "locked-open" setting. I say the "driver's side" window, because it is a good idea to keep the passenger side window locked so a thief can't simply forcibly pull the slightly open window and reach in to unlock the trailer door. I hope it all works out for you and this issue does not reoccur. Too expensive!

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Thanks!

@Bayliss I have a "good cover" however, here in AZ they disintegrate, just like my hot tub cover, which I have a cover for and then now have added a tarp over that since I'm not using it and... <drum roll> I was replacing the hot tub cover cover, which is over the hot tub cover on average every six months! These are "good covers" designed to "last" several years but don't.

I started covering my trailer this summer when I bought the cover, but haven't put it back on since I've been doing some mods and I didn't see the necessity wrestling with it (maybe I'm mistaken?) every time I went out to inspect and work on the T@B mods including the window issue.

If the warping is heat related, I'm not sure how much the cover would do... If it's sun related, well, then, yes, but I feel like this would be like closing the barn door after the fact.

Hopefully this will keep the windows from overheating. I noticed during the day when the sun is out it is much cooler inside the trailer than before I put up the window covers. I also put a wireless temperature sensor in the trailer and placed the digital display in the house, so if it gets hot in the trailer I will go out and open up the door and let it air out.

edited January 2022

@RayJim Thanks for sharing!