Options

New 2022 T@b 400 to be delivered without screens

schwartzkischwartzki Member Posts: 46
edited June 2022 in Trailer & Towing
Good morning everyone. New member here.
Have a 2022 T@b 400 Boondock 3way on order. Just got notice from my ordering dealer that my camper will be arriving soon but will be arriving without window screens as they are on backorder.
Anyone else have gone thought this? Trying to figure out if I will be able to install them later myself or need to wait for them to arrive at the dealer or able to take it back to the factory(factory is 1/2 the distance then the dealer). Sales rep is talking to NuCamp about those options but figured I would post to see if anyone else went through this.

Thanks
2022 T@B 400 Boondock (7200+ miles)
2022 - 11 trips - 34 nights
2023 - 4 trips - 21 nights and counting
--------------------------------------------------
2018 BMW X5 xDrive35d (17 mpg towing avg)
2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road (10.9 mpg towing avg)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited January 2022
    I'm expecting mine any day now. I haven't heard this for mine but I wouldn't be surprised.  The dealer 
     is three hours from me, so taking it back for the install would be major effort. I will attempt to install myself I guess.  I'm thinking it's going to be that entire plastic framing to install and not just the sliding screen part?

Is it just the screen or the shade too?
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,277
    Following because the string on my door broke yesterday. My thinking is that they will give you the entire frame like @TabbyShack said. Here on the forum I found the pdf on how to repair, but it looks to be too much for my fat fingers. I'm curious how you make out and when nuCamp will have screen doors in stock (and the cost). Have to give my local dealer a call.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 87
    AnOldUR said:
    Following because the string on my door broke yesterday. My thinking is that they will give you the entire frame like @TabbyShack said. Here on the forum I found the pdf on how to repair, but it looks to be too much for my fat fingers. I'm curious how you make out and when nuCamp will have screen doors in stock (and the cost). Have to give my local dealer a call.
    Window string repair is not difficult. Have you seen the repair videos? 
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,277
    mgreen2 said:
    Window string repair is not difficult. Have you seen the repair videos? 
    I should read more carefully. Didn't realize this thread dealt with windows. I have the door screen on my brain with the broken cord mentioned above. But yes, I have seen the videos for both windows and doors. 

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Waiting on the sales rep and the unit to arrive to see what all is missing and what options are for getting them installed and timeline.
    They said all screens windows and doors are currently on backorder not sure on shades and something I asked the sales rep.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Just as long as there are no valances or other things in the way of the four mounting screws, it should be a straightforward installation.  However, the screen door has two metal mounting strips that need to be installed on the wall itself.  Getting those positioned properly may be difficult. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    I would tell the sales rep/NuCamp to keep the trailer at the factory and send it when complete.  I would refuse delivery.  The dealership we bought from is not very knowledgeable on T@bs in my opinion and I would not trust them to install the screens.  And as a customer I do not think I should be responsible to do it either.  Also since it is winter, at least where I am, I would not want to take delivery anyway if I could postpone it and get a complete trailer.  However, if you have confidence in your dealer I would tell them to hold onto the trailer and install the screens when they arrive.   Then pay for the trailer take delivery of it.  Or take it to NuCamp and have them do it since you are closer to them.  But get that arranged before you sign for the trailer. 

I understand there are supply chain issues going on now but don't let the dealer or NuCamp to force you into taking delivery of an incomplete trailer if you're not comfortable doing that.  They should be dealing with those issues and holding onto the trailers until complete.  Especially for such an expensive trailer.  And when it finally does come in complete go through it inside and out before you sign.  And I mean crawl around it, under it and look inside every nook and cranny.  I did that with ours and that was before any of the current delay/supply chain issues happened.  Anyway that's just my opinion on the matter.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    For something that doesn't interfere with the operation of the camper, I would prefer to take delivery and just deal with the missing items later. I would not want my camper sitting on anyones lot for weeks and weeks. A thorough check over is for sure good to do,  but you are protected by the warranty even if you don't do a nook and cranny examination.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    We had an issue come up with our TaB400 a year after it was delivered, and nüCamp fixed the issues better than new on their nickel.  That said, I was without the trailer at the start of camping season for several months, but the TaB was fixed, and returned to us in better condition than it left.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Yes, I certainly would rather have the factory install the screen's or myself depending on the extent of the install. Hopefully the camper shows up with the screens but I really would rather the dealer not install them as they don't have the incentive to make sure the install is done carefully or correctly.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I wouldn’t judge all dealers based on the few dealers we have heard about that do not have a good service department or lack care about post sales service, or the nin-nüCamp dealers that do not care, once they sell the trailer.  Many nüCamp dealers have excellent post sale support and good service departments.  Our local TaB dealer has an excellent service department, with a tech that regularly goes back to nüCamp factory for updates on latest builds and recommended servicing techniques and solutions.  He performed all the nüCamp warranty service on our TaB to factory specifications, equalling nüCamp’s excellent service department.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    Denny16 said:
    I wouldn’t judge all dealers based on the few dealers we have heard about that do not have a good service department or lack care about post sales service, or the nin-nüCamp dealers that do not care, once they sell the trailer.  Many nüCamp dealers have excellent post sale support and good service departments.  Our local TaB dealer has an excellent service department, with a tech that regularly goes back to nüCamp factory for updates on latest builds and recommended servicing techniques and solutions.  He performed all the nüCamp warranty service on our TaB to factory specifications, equalling nüCamp’s excellent service department.
     Cheers 
    I assume that you’re talking about Vogel’s in Ukiah. They are supporters of our October rally in Olema and run a Q&A session. Awesome people. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Yes, I was, and Vogel’s is a model of what a good dealer is all about, excellent support after sales, with a service staff thst know what they are doing.  They are just finishing up a new, larger building for their Service Dept.  They even provide service and support for trailers they didn’t originally sell.  I didn’t call them out by name, as they are in Ukiah, as most of the dealer issues were on the other side of the country….  Most Tabers in NorCal already know about Vogels.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    SoCalEsbenSoCalEsben Member Posts: 42
    We took delivery of our 2022 TAB 400 BD yesterday (awesome to finally join the club!!!) and although we did a pretty thorough walkthrough, we never thought to check if it had a screen door. In all our prep it never came up as a priority to worry about, but then we read this thread right after we last night realized that the screen was missing! Reached out to the dealer (closed today) but will keep you all updated on how this whole thing plays out...
  • Options
    Operating the screens and shades on both windows and door was part of our walkthrough.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    We took delivery of our 2022 TAB 400 BD yesterday (awesome to finally join the club!!!) and although we did a pretty thorough walkthrough, we never thought to check if it had a screen door. In all our prep it never came up as a priority to worry about, but then we read this thread right after we last night realized that the screen was missing! Reached out to the dealer (closed today) but will keep you all updated on how this whole thing plays out...

Be interested to hear what your dealer says...still waiting to hear from mine but my trailer hasn't arrived yet.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    SoCal, are the screens missing in the windows too or just the screen in the door? If all screens are missing, is the shade part there in the windows? Is the plastic frame the shade/screen is housed in mounted but empty? 

I've bought two T@bs and I didn't think to check the screens/shades....duh!! I definitely should have been checking details like that but never found a single flaw on either camper. I will be checking the 2022 over more thoroughly just because nothing is a guarantee anymore.  

Congratulations by the way and welcome to the T@b family! 

Thanks!
  • Options
    I just heard from my sales rep, from the sounds of it on the 400's its only the main screen door that is in backorder.
  • Options
    SoCal, are the screens missing in the windows too or just the screen in the door? If all screens are missing, is the shade part there in the windows? Is the plastic frame the shade/screen is housed in mounted but empty? 

I've bought two T@bs and I didn't think to check the screens/shades....duh!! I definitely should have been checking details like that but never found a single flaw on either camper. I will be checking the 2022 over more thoroughly just because nothing is a guarantee anymore.  

Congratulations by the way and welcome to the T@b family! 

Thanks!
    Thank you!!

It's just the door screen - and there's not even a frame installed for it. Had I not known it's supposed to be there it would be hard to tell that something is missing. All the windows are fine and working well. 
  • Options
    Oh that's very good news.  I was picturing all the screens.  Yea, if you didn't know it was supposed to be there it wouldn't be missed.  
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Spoke to my dealer today and he said his Nucamp rep didn't mention my unit as missing the screen door, but I'm not assuming that means mine has one.   He said my unit was finished (completed for awhile) and it is held up waiting for an opening on a transport truck. He said it may be several more weeks before it can be shipped out.  I set my build/delivery expectations very low for an order in the height of the pandemic so I'm not feeling anxious.....yet.
  • Options
    Spoke to the dealer and NuCamp. Once NuCamp has the backordered screen door in stock, they will automatically send it to the dealer and we can get it installed. So it sounds like everything will be fixed, but not surprisingly, it requires a trip to the dealer. Didn't get a timeline though, but as long as we're not talking many months, it's not a big deal.
  • Options
    In wonder what they are going to do for people who live far from their dealer. I hope they will be willing to mail it to me. I don't want to tow the camper three hours out and back plus repair time.  
  • Options
    My selling dealer is 9.5hrs away. I asked if I could take it to the factory or have it shipped as both are easier.
  • Options
    I'm thinking it won't be too hard to install myself but I could be very wrong about that! 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Hey I see another new thread where someone is showing how to install it....of course there is!

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/14843/screen-door-install-320#latest
  • Options
    edwinhedwinh Member Posts: 7
    @TabbyShack Yeah, thats me.   Screen door installed on our 320, no issue and now have a complete trailer... Out again next weekend.  Glad I didn't drag the thing to the dealer actually.

• Options
    My sales rep on the 400 sent me a photo of the frame for the 400 and it is totally different then the 320 and doesn't have any double-sided tape.
  • Options
    I actually went into RV Trader and looked at all the recent posts for 400's and they don't have screens and they don't have double sided tape, but I would think they would be sending that with the screen door in the package rather than risk it getting damaged while awaiting the door.  
  • Options
    edited February 2022