Options

2022 320 gray water valve malfunction

(Posted on one of the Facebook groups the other day, but might be more useful here, as this gets searched/referenced more when people have specific issues...)

In case anyone is having a problem with the gray water valve on a 2021 or 2022 t@b 320... Ours didn't work on our first trip out.. always open regardless of handle position. Figured the issue had to be pretty simple, it's just a gate valve, right? Didn't want to run it to the dealer for something without looking.

I got the belly cover off, and there is a bracket (circled in red below) that holds the cable controlling the gray water valve. In our case it was not held up against the pipe, it was hanging freely. Moving the gray water handle just moved the plastic bracket back and forth.

There is a collar-like piece (circled in yellow below) that is supposed to hold the bracket up against the valve and pipe. Ours was installed incorrectly. I snapped everything together as it should be and it all works as intended.

FYI if you have this issue... Hardest part is getting the cover off!

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    @edwinh - did you notify nuCamp regarding this issue?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited January 2022
    My friend has a similar issue but her gray handle won't move at all its always stuck in the open position.  
  • Options
    edwinhedwinh Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2022
    @Sharon_is_SAM No, didn't.. was going to take it to dealer, but decided to look before that hassle.  Was obvious when I saw it.   Is there a way to contact NuCamp directly?  At this point it's just an "FYI this happened during assembly" thing...
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    @edwinh - you can send an email to help@nucamprv.com and include the photos.  You can also link to this forum thread.  It will be routed to the appropriate department.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    burkeksburkeks Member Posts: 19
    Edwinh, I can agree that getting the cover off the bottom of the trailer is difficult. My valve handle is very hard to move and I've been working to get access to the gray water valve all afternoon. I have everything loose in the valve area but am stumped on how to get the guard off the black drain line. It appears the external elbow was plumbed after the cover was put in place. Were you able to access the valve with the external drain line still running through the cover or were you able to get the cover past it?
  • Options
    eddyr0ckeddyr0ck Member Posts: 4
    My 2020 T@B 320S BD gray water valve got stuck in the open position the first time I tried to close it.  I left it open through the winter and found a solution before our first camp this season.  When I tried to close it the first time, the handle shaft bent slightly.  Looking at it a few weeks ago, I saw that when the shaft bent, the nut holding the shaft to the metal cover had dug into the handle shaft, deforming it enough to make it not fit back into the handle sleeve.  (this shaft is very soft metal since it bent the first time I tried to close the valve and got nicked causing a burr to stick up) I took pliers and straightened the shaft.  Then, used a file to file down the nicked up metal, then sandpaper to sand down the affected area using in and out sanding motion., Applying lithium grease, I was able to put the valve back in working order.
    Good luck with a fix.
  • Options
    I'm glad you were able to repair your valve shaft. The 2021 and 2022 T@B 320s have a completely different valve location than previous models. It is located under the bottom cover in the center rear of the camper and requires removing the bottom cover to access. I'm looking for help getting the cover past the drain pipe  (photo above) so I can access the valve.
  • Options
    eddyr0ckeddyr0ck Member Posts: 4
    Sorry for the confusion.  Our TV is a 2020 and the T@B is a 2021 - identical to your image above.  We bought it last June.
  • Options
    As a newbie RV owner, I also forgot to close the waste valve when I winterized last fall. I tried lubricating the handle shaft with no success but will look again for nicks. I'm afraid the seals may have dried out over the winter. I went as far as running tubing through the drain up to the valve and spraying silicone lube to the area. I also tried Thetford drain valve lubricant in the gray tank. Looks like I need to get past the cover and see what is going on with the valve. Thanks for your suggestion.
  • Options
    edwinhedwinh Member Posts: 7
    @burkeks,  I sliced that inch of cover to get it around the pipe.  Taped up later.  Not gonna worry about it.
  • Options
    DenverJaguarDenverJaguar Member Posts: 61
    Mine is stuck closed, and I can't empty the gray tank. This is such a terrible design, and I'm past the one year warranty. The cable for the valve is way longer than it needs to be. I bet this is going to be a big problem for everyone who owns a Tab with this design. 
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    Through 2019 the valve is at the sewer outlet. Only 2020 and newer have the remote, cable operated valves.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    jcook32937jcook32937 Member Posts: 7
    I had a problem with my valve not closing on my 2022 320.  I was confused by the complicated set up.  The long wire loop through an inaccessible area seems like a bad design. I'm thinking about bypassing all the and putting a valve with the handle pointing out the left side and bypassing all that extra complication.