Options

Tab 400 history of problems

Hi,
I'm thinking about selling my 320 and finding a 400, but I have read what seems like a lot of posts about issues that people have had with their 400s and I have been a little hesitant about buying one because of that. Are there certain years that I should avoid, or what is your advise/recommendation? Thank you. 
2020 Tab 320S BE "Moonbeam"
2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 997
    I would avoid the 2020 model just because it comes with the Air8 air conditioner which appears to have issues cooling the 400.  Also there was a batch of trailers that had floor issues do to switching floor material when there was a supply issue.  I believe it was sometime in 2018 but you should be able to find an affected trailer based on the VIN.  We currently have an early production 2021 400 and we love it.  Trouble free so far and the construction has been rock solid.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    RayJimRayJim Member Posts: 128
    We have a 2021 400, some issues with it but nothing we could not fix ourselves, except the windows. The warranty department at Newcamp provided excellent service so if you have some problems with your new camper, based on our experience they will take care of you.
    2021 T@B Boondock 400. 2021 Toyota SR5 V6
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    NuCamp will definitely go above and beyond to take a care of you. 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    Our 2019 has been very reliable, though it has a higher tongue load than other years.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 145
    Our late-year production 2019 400 has had no real issues: I had to fix a window blind string in the back and I had to pry out the door latch a few mm to get the door to lock soundly.  Other than that it's just been regular maintenance (wheel lube, Alde fluid, clean and wax).  We are very happy with the lack of fuss and bother.

2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited January 2022
    I had a 2019 400 for three camping seasons (12-14 trips each season) and zero problems other than my brake line rubbed against tire and shorted out. I sold it in November and ordered a 22 only because it a has almost a 100lb lighter tongue weight. As noted above, the only issues of concern are the 2020 model with Air 8 and some 2018s with floor issues.  There is also the issue with the glycol and corrosion in some 400s. If you can buy new you would avoid those issues....of course something not yet known could happen but I would not hesitate to buy a 400 as long as you are aware of the issues on certain previous models, and even then, most owners have had the repairs done because Nucamp paid for the repairs. 

If you are anywhere near Juniata Valley RV in Miffllintown, PA, their prices are really really good. I paid $34390 for my non-boondock 400 and another forum member I referred got a BD model for just under $36k.  Ask for Rick and say you were referred by Robyn Eller. I don't get any kickback from them, I just love them and their prices have been unbeatable now on three T@bs! 2015, 2019, 2022. 

And like others said above, I agree that the NuCamp warranty goes above and beyond to take care of their customers. 
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 145
    TabbyShack said: And like others said above, I agree that the NuCamp warranty goes above and beyond to take care of their customers. 
    Just a note on the warranty, we bought a 3 month old used 400 but the warranty does not carry over to the 2nd owner.  It hasn't been an issue, but it does seem strange to me that they end it with the transfer of ownership.

2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The 1yr original owner warranty is not transferrable, but the 3-year structural warranty is transferred to the second owner.  We got a previously owned late 2018 TaB400 that had the front window manufacturer defect and the floor issue, both of which nüCamp took care of.  We have not had any other issues and are happy with the TaB400, its a great little trailer, easy to tow and setup.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    jules2gojules2go Member Posts: 164
    edited January 2022
    Thank you everyone. I'm appreciate your feedback. @TabbyShack I will check out your dealer recommendation, thank you. 
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • Options
    oh wow, i had no idea the warranty wasn't transferrable.  I would recommend getting the Good Sam Extended Service Plan. I think I was paying $26 a month for my 400 after the factory warranty expired.  I used it a couple of times on my 320 and it was a good process with Good Sam. 
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    One issue that made it to the forum on the 400 was the round versus square folding sink. Some found the round sink drains poorly. We have that sink in our 2019 400 (build date Oct 18) and find ours drains but slowly. Having said that we recently disconnected the drain trying to pull up the plastic stopper, and the whole drain tube went bye bye into the sink. So that sink is a bit of a weak point in that era of 400s in my experience.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    I had the same problem sink in my 2019. I never used that sink so I had forgotten about that. I'm a solo traveler so I just used the kitchen sink for brushing teeth which was my preferred location,  but I could see that not being a desirable thing if you camp with others. 
  • Options
    ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    edited January 2022
    We really haven't had any issues with our 2021 400 BD other than a couple of fasteners on the fabric panel over the bed coming loose. The 400 certainly is much more spacious inside. The added head room and not having to convert bed to dinette and back is nice. The down side is having a bigger unit to tow and maneuver. We use a Tacoma as our TV and at least for here in Colorado I would only rate it as adequate. On the other hand I'm not ready to trade for a full size truck when I'm only towing about 10% of the time.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited January 2022
    I had the same problem sink in my 2019. I never used that sink so I had forgotten about that. I'm a solo traveler so I just used the kitchen sink for brushing teeth which was my preferred location,  but I could see that not being a desirable thing if you camp with others. 
    We didn’t have a washroom sink issue, as our late 2018 was a custom build with the washroom sink eliminated, giving more shower room.  We use the galley sink also, having two sinks in a small trailer seems a waste of space.  Another option is a folding shelf and a wash basin you dump into the shower pan after using it.  You can use the shower head to wash your hands with, think 19th century…
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    We love our bathroom sink.  All about preference and what works best for you.  
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    jules2gojules2go Member Posts: 164
    Thanks again. You've got me sold on the 400! Looking forward to it. 
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    You will be very happy with a 400, for my wife and I it is the best camper we have owned in all aspects!

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    boonieboonie Member Posts: 83
    Our 2018 has been mint since our trade up for it 2 years ago. Superb quality, just a real gem of a trailer. We love it :)
    2018- 400- Colorado V6-Marin MT bikes :) 
  • Options
    CamperQueCamperQue Member Posts: 26
    Looking at purchasing a 2022 Tab 400 BD. Looks to be a May or June build. It has the new 2-way larger refrigerator and does not have the external solar port connection. I wanted to ask what to look for regarding any other changes and also any known issues with the 2022 model.
    thanks

• Options
    We have our 2021 400 since March of 2020 and love it.  I am not aware of any issues with the 2022 model.  The biggest improvement, I guess time will tell, is the new composite floor in the 2022 model.  While we have not had any issues with our floor I think the composite floor alone is a good reason to buy the 2022 model.  Also the larger compressor fridge is nice and the lithium ready convertor is a nice option to have.  Don't worry about not having the external solar port.  That is an easy thing to add yourself or have a dealer add as it is wired directly to the battery.  We had the port added on the door side right next to the storage compartment door.  It was easier to run the wires to the battery that way. 

When buying a trailer, regardless to the model year, I think the most important thing for you is to really crawl around the trailer.  Look at every detail and look for any flaws that need to be addressed.  And insist the dealer test every system during your walk through.  This includes testing the plumbing on city and 12v to look for leaks.  
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    CamperQueCamperQue Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for information will definitely make sure to test the unit out completely.
    We have looked at several other manufacturers the past year and keep coming back to the Tab 400. 

• Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    bergger said:
    I would avoid the 2020 model just because it comes with the Air8 air conditioner which appears to have issues cooling the 400.  
    Not all 2020 models had the Air8, so I would not dismiss the entire model year, and depending on where you live and the climate in which you camp the Air8 has been just fine for many.