Options

Downsized from a A Class RV to a 400 Boondock

Just traded in my Class A for a new 400 Boondock and some cash!  Only had it a couple of days but loving the space we have got back on the driveway and have started to de-clutter and sort through all the stuff we used to take with us.  Would appreciate any advice re heating tips using the Aldi system when dry camping and do you heat it at all when parked on the driveway (in the winter) and connected to shore power?
If you're in Canada (Vancouver) and want to meet up to discuss tips over a coffee/tea PM me.
2022 400 Boondock + Disco 5 Diesel

Comments

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    Hey there @DirtyRanger and welcome. I will begin with what I would check on your Aldi as it should be similar to my 2019 with the 3020 model touch screen and the Flow added. We just got back from two winter camping trips where it was well below freezing and we had electric power, but if we did not then it would boil down to this:

Make sure your battery is charged and the switch is "on"

Make sure you have propane and open the valve slowly

Fill the propane line by lighting the stove briefly, with ventilation in the cabin

Ensure the Alde reservoir has glycol to the proper level. Location varies by year.
    You should be winterized so the water heater should be empty. That is OK

Go to the Alde control and turn it on. Green LED should be on and then press the Menu screen to bring up the settings for heat and hot water. You should see icons for Thermostat at top then hot water (this should be off) and the the electric heating icon, which should also be turned down/off.
    The bottom control icon is a flame which is propane heat. Turn that on and the thermostat should start the fan and then you can hear the burner kick in. It is pretty quiet but you can hear it. Go outside and ensure the exhaust is coming out and then wait for the convection to warm the cabin.

Lots more on this in the forum and the dealer may have provided the 3020 manual as well it will tell you more.

In the image below the control is set at 72 deg and the hot water at normal (partially filled). You would hit the Minus to clear that ramp in your case.
    Then the electric is set to 2KW and you would hit the Minus to clear that to Off as well.

The bottom icon will turn green when ON and that should get it going.

Good luck

PS as far as heating on electric in driveway it would depend on your humidity in the cabin. Where I live and with my storage it is not needed. I hear others use a small portable heater or dehumdifier for longer storage

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The reservoir is in the front dinette on the driver’s side in the front of the porthole opening.  The Alde works on propane or electric mode, the 2KW mode requires a minimum of 20amp AV power connection.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    DirtyRangerDirtyRanger Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the tips.  I have it running on electric at the moment (no propane) and set the temp to 50, just to keep the inside above freezing.  I have an outside power socket at 30amps that we used for the RV when people came to stay and used it.
    2022 400 Boondock + Disco 5 Diesel
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    That should work, just check the glycol level in the Alde reservoir tank after every week for a bit, until the system is equalized out.  You may need to add a bit of glycol after the first week.  I keep the Alde on electric at 50F in our TaB 400 to keep it above freezing dry in our damp NorCal coast weather.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @DirtyRanger welcome to the small side. Although sometimes I park in the shade of an A class, I am glad I I didn’t get one. You will be amazed at where you can fit a Tab. LOL
    Amen on getting rid of stuff! I got too much stuff when we started camping. It’s amazing how much of it we have voted off the island.
    Our Tab has frozen hard in the winter and we have not had any issues. When I run the heat there is condensation. I usually have the kitchen window open to the second catch on the levers and the bathroom vent open. I use a chunk of pool noodle to prop the bathroom door open. We have been in driving rain and wind like that with no water intrusion. Enjoy!
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Denny16 in the 400, the Alde reservoir is not always in driver side port hole window location. In the 400's with smaller two way fridge, it is in the closet on the driver side, the reservoir is in the back RH side of the closet at about eye level.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    @N7SHG_Ham,  Yes, that was true for your 2019 and my 2018 TaB400, and up until the 2021 models, after that, the Alde Reservoir was moved on all TaB 400s, regardless of fridge option, to the dinette driver’s side window, replacing a former locker storage area there.  The OP said he got a new TaB 400, which implies a 2021 or 2022 model.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    We sold our Class C motorhome and went to a T@B 320 S Boondock last Summer. Good move for us as we aren't really RV park people and the motorhome was too big for the sites we like. Didn't want to go back to tent camping and the 320 is perfect for our use. Going from 7-8 MPG to 17-18 mpg is nice also as I don't see gas getting any cheaper in the future.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Denny16, missed the "new" part. Anyway for future readers, good to note it really does make a difference about many things depending on exact model and exact year and maybe even variations within a year.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    True, true my friend…. nüCamp keeps improving their RVs and making small to large changes, sometimes in mid-year production.
    cheers