Options

Is the external aux solar input (2022 T@B 400) wired directly to battery.

Hi folks. Don’t have the trailer yet (mid March) so can’t check. Is the Outside aux solar input on the side of the trailer wired directly to the battery or is it routed thru a controller. 

Thanks in advance. 

John. 

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,684
    Most likely, directly to the battery.  All the other trailers with ports are wired this way.  The installed solar panels are wired to a controller somewhere in the trailer.  The port can be used with a panel and a separate controller. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    If it like prior models with the SAE connector (Zamp type in some instances) on the side of the trailer it may go directly to the battery distribution block as it is in my 2019 where the dealer put in the aux solar on the driver side. The assumption is that the portable panels that you would connect here would have a controller built in.

Picture of my 2019 wiring here: The wires covered by black cable run from bottom of photo to driver side SAE connector and terminate at the distribution stud shown. This stud is a direct battery connection so no controller in my case. I have since put in a shunt but did not change the wiring of my aux solar.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,012
    It should go directly to the battery.  My 2021 400 is wired like that.  As mentioned just use a suitcase with it's own controller and you'll be good to go.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    ViajeroViajero Member Posts: 123
    That is exactly what I needed to hear. We have a DC to DC converter that we will use to charge the battery from the tow vehicle in a pinch. That port makes an easy connection to the battery. I can use a long run from the tow vehicle to the DC to DC converter and a relatively short run to the battery thru that port. The DC to DC converter does a good job of restoring the charge voltage to 14.6 volts albeit at a lower current. 

Thanks all. Love this forum. 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,684
    Just get a multimeter on the SAE port so that you completely understand how the port is wired, which "side" of the port is positive, which the negative.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    Does the wire gauge of the SAE port have any impact on using it to charge from the TV?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options

Just get a multimeter on the SAE port so that you completely understand how the port is wired, which "side" of the port is positive, which the negative.
    Great idea. Will do. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Does the wire gauge of the SAE port have any impact on using it to charge from the TV?
    It does to some degree Sharon. Max current after the DC to DC converter will be about 8 amps so we won’t be pushing lots of current. This is just an “in case” plan if we get in a situation where we have run the batteries down to the point where the Alde won’t come on to give us heat. We are experienced RVers and this still happens. You would think we would know by now. LOL 😂. Our tow vehicle is a Tesla so our T@B “reserve battery” battery is HUGE. LOL  😊. 

Cheers.