Options

No Bike rack on top of roof of TaB 400?

I rented a TaB 320 last year and carried our two bikes on the factory roof rack of the Tab320 from Dallas to Georgia nd back with zero issues. We decided to buy our own TaB but a bigger one. We got our 400, used, a few days ago. No roof rack, but I was sure at the time i would just buy one and install it. Has anyone done this? Any reason not to? If the 320 can handle it, why not the 400? 
Karen and Chris
2021 T@B 400, 2018 Land Cruiser
Dallas, Texas
“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.” Edward Abbey

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    Congrats on the 400!  I have a 400 and not a 320 so not sure if this is true or not.  But I assume the 320 has reinforced mounting points for the roof rack.  I know the 400 does not.  I would not mount a rack like that into the aluminum frame of the 400.  Also it would most likely interfere with the window.  You might be better with a tongue mounted bike rack or on the roof of your tow vehicle.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    To the best of my knowledge, even the 320 does not have any special reinforcements for the rack--it is simply screwed into the aluminum cross-members that make up the camper body. That is probably the reason why the stated capacity of the rack is relatively low. It's really not designed for heavy-duty applications.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    This thread has a video of a 400 being built at the factory.  Except for the big window in the back, there doesn't seem to be that big of a difference from the 320.  (Not an expert on this!)

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Ive seen other posts saying the weight limit of the roof rack on the 320 is 100lbs. I wouldn't expect a 400 instslled rack to be able to support any thing more than that but it would blocking your rear window which is also your emergency escape access window. 
  • Options
    one of the reasons i chose the 400 over the Horizon Sol was because i like carrying my bikes on the sloped roof on the 320 so much. I am getting used to the idea of carrying them on the tongue (which we are warned not to overload.). It is just too difficult and to in-aerodynamic to carry them on the roof of my tallish LandCruiser.
    Karen and Chris
    Dallas, Texas
    “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.” Edward Abbey
  • Options
    85Redwood85Redwood Member Posts: 52
    edited February 2022
    Similar to what was suggested a few posts back I once carried bikes on a front-mounted hitch with a Durango but never did like how they obscured headlights and affected airflow to the radiator.  I switched to carrying 4 bikes on the roof of my Sequoia...that worked well but I did bring along a 4' step ladder.  Now the kids are grown and we often use the Sequoia roof rack for a 2-person kayak.  I wouldn't want to risk something on the 400's roof or adding to the 400's tongue weight with a tongue bike rack.
    2021 T@B 400: boondock, 3-way fridge, microwave, solar
    2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7 L
  • Options
    Dont underestimate your Sequouia. It has a 700-740lb max tongue weight limit. Much more than most of the other peoples tow vehicle on here. https://www.toyotamobility.com/mobility-solutions/hitch-load-guidelines
    Karen and Chris
    Dallas, Texas