Options

Battery tray enlargement

Note: Didn't find this discussed before so I hope it's not a duplicate. Oh, and I'm cheap.... 

On the earlier T@Bs (mine is a 2015) the battery mounting area is sized for a group 24 battery box, 11.25" by 7.75". While the width is fine for many other batteries, the length prevents even a naked group 27 or one of the many 100Ah LiFePo4 batteries to get installed there. Get out the angle grinder and the welder.... 

The battery can't move back far without hitting the trailer body so the rear angle iron is moved back only 3/8th of an inch. The front is moved quite a bit more for 13" of distance which accommodates all sorts of batteries. 

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,452
    edited February 2022
    Nice work. I did something similar on my 2015 but I had to mount the new frame at an angle so that the larger box would fit. How did you get yours to fit in a prefect front-to-back orientation?

EDIT: Upon re-reading your OP, I see you did say "naked" group 27. That makes sense. A typical group 27 box is considerably larger (especially the lid) than the battery itself.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,683
    A lithium or AGM battery can be mounted in any configuration except upside down.  In some cases, "enlargement" may not be necessary if you can use a different orientation of the battery.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 456
    I tried to squeeze a group 27 battery box in but it's just too tight. Currently there is a group 27 battery without the box installed, just have to be mindful of the open terminals. 
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    I had my dealer upgrade to a group 27 battery before I picked up my 320S in early 2017. They just mounted the 27 base frame on top of the 23 base frame, and it’s worked well for five years and counting. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red