Options

trying to understand all the heating systems available on T@B 400

we bought our used 2021 TAB 400 a week ago. I downloaded and have read most of the manuals. It is very cold here in Dallas, so thought it would be a good weekend to test out the available systems. I wish I could find a Dometic Cool Cat manual.
Do I understand this right? There are 5 ways to heat our camper?
1. Using the Alde thermostat choose gas to heat the glycol radiator system (only way to boondock)
2. use Alde thermostat to choose shore power to heat the glycol radiator system
3. use both gas and electric to heat the glycol radiator system
4. Use the Dometic heat pump system (on shore power) in addition to the above.
5. Use the Dometic heat pump system (on shore power) alone.... without the Alde central radiant system.
Karen and Chris
2021 T@B 400, 2018 Land Cruiser
Dallas, Texas
“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.” Edward Abbey

Comments

• Options
    I think you've got it. I have to be honest, I was a year in on my 2019 400 before I finally figured this out! haha.  The advantage to using both propane and electric simultaneously for the Alde is the speed in which it heats the interior.  

You wouldn't want to use both the Alde and the Heat Pump at the same time because they will be competing with each other and will cause some constant on/off activity with the devices. 

One thing to note, the heat pump doesn't perform well in temps below 40 degrees. This is when the Alde shines. 
  • Options
    Its pretty amazing that there are so many different ways to heat it. I was surprised it had a heat pump. We have it out back with one form of heat or the other, because we don't think it is properly winterized. I am familiar with the limitations of a heat pump in the winter. Its pretty cool technology. We want to Boondock as much as possible. We've been tent camping for many many years. 
    Karen and Chris
    2021 T@B 400, 2018 Land Cruiser
    Dallas, Texas
    “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.” Edward Abbey
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited February 2022
    Just curious, what leads you to believe its not properly winterized?  One thing you might want to check is under the head of the bed are two yellow flappers.  Lay a paper towel under the camper under the two drain outlets that coinside with the two yellow flappers.  Then lift them briefly and put back down. Then go out and see if you have pink on the paper towels.  If so, this means you have antifreeze inside your Alde.  Alde advises to not use the Alde if antifreeze was allowed to go into it.  It is believed that if the AF boils it could degrade and become corrosive. If you get pink, I would discontinue use of the Alde until you can flush it out good in the spring.  When you winterize next winter, you will use the Nautilus in "Winterize" mode which will bypass the alde and allow you to use it during the winter if needed. 
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited February 2022
    Side note: You may want to get the Good Sam Extended Warranty Plan. Its pretty reasonable for our unit and since the original one year factory warranty does not transfer, you will want some protection especially in a used unit.

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,696
    To fill in a bit.
    1.  When not on shore power, and using propane, the Alde requires at least 10.5V of battery state of charge.  If the battery drops below that voltage, No Alde For You!  The Alde is pretty light on 12v power.
    2, 3.  On shore power, you can use either Electric or Gas, or both.  You can set a priority for either one.
    4,5  The Dometic heat pump is not too effective below 40 degrees.
    Read this comment by "Denny16" that explains the limitations of the heat pump and a good way to think about how to use the heaters in the trailer.  (The rest of the thread involves an older model of heat pump in a 2008, so it isn't really relevant to your trailer.)

In TabbyShack's test, if you have water come out of your Alde tank, it may not be winterized at all.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    I can add, you can use the CoolCat heat pump to start warming a cold trailer whilst waiting for the Alde to heat up.  To use the CoolCat heat pump mode, the trailer needs to have at least a 20-amp shore power connection, as does the Alde in its 2KW mode.  A small portable heater in the TaB may be more efficient at keeping the TaB warmish (40F to 60F).
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    EarthwalkerEarthwalker Member Posts: 5
    I'm brand new to owning/operating a trailer and just bought a used 2020 tab 400 BD... trying to learn all I can and feeling fairly overwhelmed.  I need a quick and dirty explanation of how to get heat into the trailer in a timely manner. The Aldi system seems to require lots of time and unsure about how the heat pump fits into the picture.  Any help very much appreciated.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,696
    Welcome to the Forums: the Alde takes a bit of practice.  Believe it or not, the manual has all you need...it just is kind of scrambled around.
    The Alde works fastest on propane.  The amount of "BTU's" available from propane is about double compared to the Alde electric elements.
    The Alde has two electric "elements"  Think of these like a small space heater in your home, with a low or high setting.  No matter what, propane will always heat the trailer faster, since it is about twice as powerful compared to the electric.  After the trailer warms up, the electric is perfectly capable of maintaining the heat. 

But: the Alde does take a little time to heat.  The Alde heats the trailer by heating the "glycol" in the system, and that heated glycol gets pumped around the trailer through pipes and 'convectors".....and those warm convectors radiate the heat.  (This will make more sense as you get more used to the whole thing).
    This thread has a better rundown of the "heat pump" capabilities.  In mild weather, it seems some owners have been comfy using just the heat pump.
    Don't hesitate to ask questions!  We love questions here.  You are not the first owner to be a bit flummoxed over all of this, and you will not be the last!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    If you have shore power available, get a small electric ceramic type heater to quickly warm the camper whilst waiting on the Alde to warm up.  Depending on the outside temp, the Alde can have the TaB toasty in bout an hour or less, quicker if on propane and electric elements at rhe same time, with priority set to propane.  The 2020 TaB400 doesn’t have the CoolCat AC under the dinette bench, but has the Air8 under the bunk, which is an AC only unit.  Only the CoolCat AC has the heat pump option.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.