Options

Towing Capacity Guide

kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
It's easy to get confused with terms such as GVWR, GCWR, GAWR, etc.  Here is an easy-to-follow guide that describes these weights.

https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-capacity

Do remember these are static weights and do not necessarily describe what happens when the rig is out on the interstate with a stiff side wind and a semi blows by at 85 mph.  Just hope it's not downhill and you have to suddenly brake or swerve to avoid something in the road.  That's where weight distribution and sway control come into play.

Doug K
Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
Minnesota and Arizona

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Very true, and whilst my Jeep Gladiator is rated to pull a 6,000 lbs tailer, it’s 9,600 GCWR reduces its max total trailer weight to 4960 lbs, subtract the Gladiator’s cargo at around 900 lbs and you are down to 4060 lbs for the trailer weight.  This is well within the limits of towing a 3,400 lbs loaded TaB400, with 600 lbs to spare.  But this shows, the weight adds up quickly.  

My Jeep Gladiator is rated to carry 1180 lbs, subtract the 425 lbs of tongue weight, and I am down to 755lbs of cargo which includes my wife’s weight, so I am left with 600 lbs for gear in the Jeep.  My average cargo load less my wife is normally around 400 lbs, so still good here.  You need to pay attention to all of these weights and factors whilst towing a trailer.   

As kottum pointed out, it’s more than just the weight of the trailer and your TV’s trailer weight/tongue rating.  You need to track to total weight of the TV and trailer together.  This is going to be the elephant in the room when it comes down to towing limits, not the TVs max trailer weight rating.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    For what it's worth, here are our towing weights, last time I did a complete check..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/113925/#Comment_113925
    We're probably due for another check, since there is a tendency for more stuff to be added over time.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods