Options

Towing and MPG

My wife and I are about to take a delivery on a tab 400 somewhere around April 15. We are curious if we have a ram 1500 do we need any weight distribution or sway bar since it’s a half ton truck? Also does anybody have a ram 1500 and what kind of mileage are you getting pulling the 400? With gas prices going crazy this is a big concern for us as we want to travel clear across the United States and back. Thank you for any information that you can give

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Whilst I do not have a Ram1500, I do have its cousin, the Jeep Gladiator, which has the same rear end setup as a Ram1500.  With the V6, I am getting 16-18mpg (driving at 55 and under).  I do not feel the need for either a WDH (Ram1500 weight is much greater than thenTaB400) or a sway control, as both trucks have a build in trailer sway control system (if you have the factory towing package). 

I have no issues towing a TaB400 and Your heavier Ram1500 should not have any issues either.   Other 1/2-ton truck owners here also do not tow with a WDH, some however, do use a sway control setup.  A WDH helps when thenTV is the same weight or less than the trailer it is towing, to get weight back on the front wheels of the TV.  A WDH does not reduce the net tongue weight of the trailer on the TV hitch point.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    edited March 2022
    Montanahope, we’re also planning a cross country when weather changes.  I just read an article with AAA stating $15 a gallon fuel may soon be our world.  We’ll still be going.  It’s just going to hurt a lot more.  But it also may mean campgrounds won’t be as crowded.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 149
    edited March 2022
    I have 2015 1500 quad cab with 5.7L and we just brought our T@B 400 BD home last week. I don't think wd is warranted but i am considering sway contol. The truck has it but it does not adjust trailer sway. I may actually go with a e2 fast way hitch since it gives 2-point sway control  and I can control the wd to be minimum.

I had a 29'  Everlite, tandem axle trailer at 5900 lbs and used blueox for that, it towed great.

Added: sorry, didn't check gas mileage. 
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
  • Options
    USSBirdUSSBird Member Posts: 66
      @montanahope We have 2020 Ram 1500 workman classic, no factory tow package. We are towing a T@b 400 BD 2021.  We get 12mpg on average.  Hoping a tonneau cover will improve that, but doubt it.  Most of our towing has been on the beautiful rural 2 lane highways of AR. YMMV
      We do not have WDH or a sway bar.  No issues running at 60MPH when the T@B has been properly loaded.  The T@B picks up a wiggle if we did not have the 10-15% of the gross trailer weight in the front (aka tongue weight).  Other than that, you would not know the T@B is back there.

The gross weight of the T@B400 BD (Dry) is 2947lbs.  The 20' Ram Owners Manual, "If the Gross Trailer Weight is 5000lbs or more, it is recommended to use a weight distributing hitch..." 

@GatorEgg $15/gal!  Our summer trip of 850 miles would cost $1062 in gas EACH WAY.  Say it aint so!

2021 T@B 400 BD / 2020 Ram 1500, Northwest Arkansas
  • Options
    montanahopemontanahope Member Posts: 10
    thanks thanks for reply’s 
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    We towed two different Airstreams with two different Ram 1500's all over the country.  The smaller trailer was about 4500 lbs loaded and did need a weight distribution hitch with sway control.  The Ram 1500's tend to have relatively light payload ratings, but the axles (3900 lbs each) are quite capable with the weight distribution hitch.

It isn't just the trailer tongue weight that you need the weight distribution hitch for, but also the weight you put in the truck's bed behind the truck's rear axle.  This rear truck weight is combined with the trailer tongue weight to push down on the truck's rear axle and lighten the truck's front axle.  The lighter front axle loses some grip  on the roadway affecting braking and handling (understeer).  

Also on Interstate type highways, there is heavy, heavy semi traffic.  You will be traveling slower than them, and they will be constantly passing you.  When they pass, the air they push creates a bow wave that will push your trailer to the right as they go by, and out of alignment with your truck. This sideways force will leverage to your truck's steering axle (which is lightened by trailer tongue weight and rear truck load weight).  They push you around.  It is a really uncomfortable feeling, and by the end of the day you may feel exhausted.  Especially if there are crosswinds, and the in central states there usually are.

So a weight distribution hitch with good sway control is a very good thing.  The only w.d. hitch I could find to fit the newer T@b 400 is the Fastway E2, without modifying the Tab's aluminum platform and tub.  Get the 600 lb w.d. bars for your rig, larger ones are too stiff and rough up your trailer on bumpy/rough roadways.

Doug K
    (We have a T@b 400 on order)
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona