Options

2022 T@B 400 Cold Tire Pressure 65psi

I see the tires on my new 400 say minimum cold tire pressure is 65! Also says it on the trailer sticker. I was surprised by this as my 2019 400 the tires said minimum cold pressure was 50. Obviously different tires require different pressure, but 65 seems so high to me! Even my big all terrain Jeep Wrangler tires I think are like min 50 cold psi. I discovered that my tire pressure gauge doesn't even go past 60 psi!  I just thought I would mention it since I haven't seen any other posts on this and its higher than I was expecting, so maybe others might need a new gauge too! 

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Is your new TaB400 a Boondock version?  The larger Boondock tires have a higher pressure rating.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited March 2022
    No, standard model with regular tread.  Sorry forgot to mention that.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    OK, tis strang, if the tire is the same….  That said, I run our TaB400 Boondock tires at 5lbs less than the max rated pressure for highway driving, to smooth out the ride a bit.
    cheers
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    The pressure ratings for trailer tires assume the tires are used close to their maximum load rating. Typically that is the case with most trailers, the T@bs are a little different as they are fairly light. The factory just copies the numbers from the tire onto the label as a CYA. On the 320 that is total overkill, probably less so with the 400. Check the load rating on the tire. 
  • Options
    Great idea. I will check that.  
  • Options
    Yes, adjusting tire pressure for the conditions Is something familiar with off-roaders and the Jeep community in general.  But amount camping trailer owners, it is a mixed opinion, with some keeping at the max recommended pressure and others that vary the pressure depending on load and road conditions.  Even some tire companies have a different recommendation.

I try to go with the trailer makers’ recommendation, and adjust pressure +/- 5-10lbs depending on road situation.  This is what I find works for me, and I do not put a lot of high speed or long mileage use on my rig, so trailer tires get too old before the tread runs out…  B)
     Cheers 
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    I replaced the tires on my 2018 tab 400 with Goodyear Endurance load range D tires with 65 psi rating and keep them at 62 psi cold inflation.  Have towed it 19,000 miles with this setup and it has worked well. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    ViajeroViajero Member Posts: 123
    Less rolling resistance if the pressures are higher.