Options

Echo Brake Controller

DSSBoonDSSBoon Member Posts: 2
I have a 2021 Subaru Outback Onyx XT as TV for 2021 Tab 320.  The brake controller I have is the Curt Echo.

Tab was purchased July 2021 and the Echo worked smoothly until the end of 2021 when the brakes began grabbing (jerkiness) especially as I was coming to stop.  Went approximately 1K miles through the season.  The brakes became more grabby recently and had some  lock-up at slower speeds.  

I took the following steps at attempt to correct.  Adjusted the brakes to tight and then backed off to the tires would spin smoothly.  Reinstalled the Echo App as well as bluetooth.  Set multiple settings beginning at 50 max output down to 5.  There has been grabbing and lockup at lower speeds (<20 MPH) and also when braking on cornering and backing up.  Only setting max output to 5 which is no braking at all prevented the problem.

In reviewing discussions appears that many have made a decision to change to another brake controller.  One controller that is a fit for the Subaru is the Redarc Tow Pro Elite.  My focus is to eliminate the grabbiness and lockup and hope to get a simple to run solution .

I would appreciate and thoughts on both the Echo problem and the Redarc as a solution.  It would not be fruitful to install a Redarc if this is not the problem.

Thank you!  

Comments