Options

Atwood propane/co detector glowing

On our last outing in our 2016 320 we noticed a never-seen-before faint green glow on the refrigerator and trailer door. Hanging my head over the edge of the bed I could see that the glow was coming from all of the circular alarm and vent holes and the small bulb openings on the Atwood propane/carbon monoxide  detector. It looks like the upper left always-on "running light" bulb slipped back a little and is leaking out wherever it can. At home when I turn on the battery it does the normal red flashing for several minutes and the test button triggers the "siren" and red lights so it appears to be working normally - except for the glow.
We moved all the bedding around to open up the driver-side wheel well access area, but the detector is a single unit. There are tabs on the top of the housing that appear to allow the front to come off. I was hoping to glue/tape/reseat the bulb, but I couldn't split open the housing and didn't want to break it. Has anyone had to deal with this situation? After many pleasant, quiet, DARK nights in the T@B it is annoying to have a green glow bouncing around. :/

2016 T@B S - TV 2004 Toyota Sienna

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @rajamar this is a new one to me. I read any and all posts to this forum and remember many of the unique and unusual ones, but don't believe anyone has encountered this before. Sorry I couldn't help, but good luck to you!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    @rajamar - the Atwood 36681 model has a life expectancy of 7 years.  Based on annoyance from the light and that it is at the end of its life span, just replace it.  Not everything can be repaired.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rajamarrajamar Member Posts: 112
    edited March 2022
    Thanks for the input - was not aware of lifespan. I'm going to replace it.

I posed this question over at trailer.com:

"Since the Atwood 36681 is discontinued what would be the best replacement considering the size of the 36681 hole I'm dealing with?"

Their response:

"You could use the 2-wire Propane Gas and Carbon Monoxide Detector part # RS34FR in place of the Atwood 36681 that you referenced. This would fit in the cut out you have now and has a flange that is large enough that would cover the hole."

Also came across this bit of info in another question there regarding detector lifespan:

"Detectors have varying lifespans between 5 to 10 years. For instance our RVSafe # RS34FR detector has a stated 5 year lifespan. Also, effective 8-1-2009, all detectors will give an repeated audible warning when the detector has reached its end of life. That said, new detectors beginning their life cycle at first power up."

Good to know if you have an older T@B or any other RV for that matter.
    2016 T@B S - TV 2004 Toyota Sienna
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    edited March 2022
    @rajamar - if you Google “Atwood 36681” there are supplies of the detector for purchase. The only problem is the unknown shelf life!

The RV Safe model is currently installed in the 2021 and 2022 TaBs.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio