Options

Athens Ohio Stroud's Run Park

AubreyAubrey Member Posts: 149
Stroud's Run and Dow Lake make up the local park here in Athens. Land conservancy dedicates most of the hills between it and the town, bike groups maintain many many miles of bike-hiking trails. The lake has swimming (bit mucky at times) and boating etc..
  The campground is self-register and only 10 bucks in the off-season! No hook-ups, but spacious pads and site a nearly all dead-level, with a nice creek running by and trailheads a-plenty nearby.
   Some sites have simple "pavillion" type things to hang a hammock, but they are in need of replacing (still good enough to use for our hammock). There are at least 2 tiny cabins (never been inside one, aging as well). Fire rings with grates.
   There is a dump station and frost-free faucets near bathrooms (turned off for winter, but the faucet by dump station still works)
We had almost the whole place to ourselves on a thursday, and it is rarely crowded. Some locals collect wood from time to time (and occasionally sell split wood, seems harmless enough).
   The 3 pit bathrooms and playground were built new about a year ago, clean and stocked with TP.
  We have been in Athens for many years and there are still plenty of trails we have yet to see. We did part of Thunderbunny trail and in the morning Hollow Point trail (3.3m of swithbacks and toe ridges right next to camp) that is about as far as our 14 year old dog would choose to go, but she did it without much trouble)
Some of the bike enthusiast were there to clear deadfall. You should be aware of standing dead ash trees when hiking, especially if there is wind (some say we are nearing the end of this era of dead ash).
Getting to the park requires coming through the twisties on Scatter Ridge, or from town going through somewhat narrow Columbia Ave overpassing US-33
to Stroud's Run Rd. I drive right through town in my 400.
If my wife looks bored we can pack up and be camping in no time flat, with tons of great hiking or kayaking.

Comments