Options

Tab 320 Speakers

Hifi nerd here. Has anyone replaced the speakers in there 2021ish 320? I just did the tv, so speakers are next. They are awful. I was thinking about some sort of bookshelf enclosed speaker behind the existing grills. My thought is the existing ones aren't tuned correctly so they have too much volume behind them so they are muffled. I was thinking about trying to stuff behind them with polyfill/etc... Anyone who has info on how to remove them would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    I couldn't agree more regarding the sound on the T@B 320.
    While it's likely that there is too much volume in the speaker enclosure, that wouldn't account for the muffled sound (the larger volume would mainly have an impact on low frequencies). Adding fill won't really do much except perhaps make the low frequencies less boomy.
    My guess is that the drivers used in the speakers are relatively low-quality. You could consider replacing the drivers with some higher quality components. For a large selection of modestly-priced drivers, you can check Parts Express. You could also consider purchasing a crossover network from them; my guess is that the stock system does not use one. I'm sure that you could get new drivers (mid-range & tweeters) as well as decent crossovers for well under $100, so I'd start there 
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    The grills on my 2017 come off by holding the edges and rotating the grills.  Then you have access to the bolts in that attach the speaker to the wall.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    screwlosescrewlose Member Posts: 18
    I'm actually planning to use Marine Speakers for a replacement
    Being they are designed for outside use they'd last in a Tab pretty easily
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    Speaker upgrade is planned for mine this Spring. Got most of my Winter projects on it done.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 345
    Hello!  ...I suggest you consider changing your user name to hifi nerd!

Seriously, it might be useful for you to share what you did with the television. I'm in danger of joining the group that just ignores it. 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    DNL2021DNL2021 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks everyone! I think I found the model...jenson JWMS350. The manufacturers website has drawings for it so next step is to figure out what size will fit in the opening. I might get a small amp to fit behind the jenson stereo.

YanniLazarus: I replaced the tv with a 24 inch vizio D series. I had to adjust the mounting bracket at the wall to get it to fit...it looks good though because it fills up the space and has thin bezels. I got a cheap soundbar on Amazon and sticky backed it to the bottom of the tv. Also I cut the 12v wire and put a cigarette style plug for a 12v inverter for when i boondock. Much better sound and picture. I'll get pictures when I'm out in it next weekend.

• Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    I have an older 320CS. The speakers are larger than the newer model with the two door upper cabinets. But, some of the bad sound is echos inside the cabinet. Removing a speaker and filling the space with fiberfill will significantly improve the sound. Still, the plastic Jensen speakers have their limitations.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    Rodent77Rodent77 Member Posts: 79
    DNL2021 said:
    Hifi nerd here. Has anyone replaced the speakers in there 2021ish 320? I just did the tv, so speakers are next. They are awful. I was thinking about some sort of bookshelf enclosed speaker behind the existing grills. My thought is the existing ones aren't tuned correctly so they have too much volume behind them so they are muffled. I was thinking about trying to stuff behind them with polyfill/etc... Anyone who has info on how to remove them would be appreciated.
    Being that you are HiFi Nerd, would it be possible to just replace the 3"woofer and .5"tweeter with something better?

2021 T@B320 S - 2013 Ridgeline - Ont. Can

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

• Options
    JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    We have an ‘18 320-CS, (no indoor kitchen), and the speaker placement means that when we watch the tube, we only hear the one speaker directly behind us (full time bed mode config). I’ve  wondered about just using a good pair of Bluetooth speakers instead, which would allow for them to be placed virtually anywhere. Most likely one would reside under the tv, and the other on the counter top near the door. At least then we could hear each other and both speakers. Bose has a nice, but pricy pair.

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • Options
    I've thought about that too. Watching a movie and hearing only one speaker is not the best. I've thought about a sound bar under the TV and a small sub somewhere. We play music through the kitchen speakers the majority of time. It wasn't worth the work for a once or twice a year movie.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    PixandMsBeePixandMsBee Member Posts: 34
    We have a 2022 320-S on order, it has rectangular speaker grills. Does anyone know if 3  1/2" speakers will fit in there? I already have a good quality pair that re 2-way. 

2022 T@B 320-S Boondock Edition

2022 Outback Limited XT

SOK 100ah LiFeP04 Battery

• Options
    After researching speakers/upgrades I've decided to not touch the factory speakers and just add a Bluetooth transmitter to the Jensen and get a good Bluetooth speaker. Can use it inside, at the TV, and outside if I choose. More options and much better sound quality.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
  • Options
    ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    edited April 2022
    One of my first mods was replacing my speakers. I believe one of them was damaged from moisture and why it sounded awful. It vibrated alot. I replaced them with car speakers. They were around $30 for the pair and they work great. I simply made sure they were nearly the same diameter as the ones I removed. I untwisted the grills and used them over again since the grills for the new speakers didn't completely cover them and I wanted them to be protected. https://amzn.to/3k0G8fw
    Let me add... I have Klipsch speakers at home for my surround sound and Bose for my pc and these speakers are definitely worth more than what I paid for them. 
    2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    edited April 2022
    I think @SLJ has the right idea with the bluetooth solution.  When watching TV or even listening to radio the sound location coming from behind is just strange.  Also with 2 of us in the trailer one person hears the sound mostly from his/her side.  Better speakers aren't going to fix this.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    I think there are sound bars available for the TV/monitor. Blu-tooth is not a bad choice either.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    Mickerly said:
    I think there are sound bars available for the TV/monitor. Blu-tooth is not a bad choice either.
    Bluetooth for the TV can be a problem sometimes with sound lag. 
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    A small sound bar that directly connects to the TV and with Bluetooth for radio and phone casting may solve it all.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    TowheeTowhee Member Posts: 47
    2022 320bd. I fixed TV sound with small Bose sound bar.  It needs 120 AC, so only used when we are connected.  For the 4 x 6 speakers  each side of the cabinet I boosted both the bass and treble for some improvement.  Also noticed the worst sound was when using the radio tuner.  Both Pandora via Bluetooth from my phone and mp3s via a thumb drive sound better than the radio.  Still not great sound, but OK at low levels for background music.  For reference, my living room has Martin Logan's and media room is all Klipsch.
  • Options
    I've since added a  Bluetooth transmitter to the Jensen stereo and pump the TV audio through it to a Bose SoundLink Flex Bluetooth speaker. I was surprised there's no lag in the TV audio. Good TV sound and good music anywhere I want inside or out.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,191
    The main reason our speakers sounded so awful in our 400 was because of the bass and treble settings. Everything was muffled. Once I boosted the treble on the Jensen deck everything sounded so much better. Not audiophile quality but fine for watching movies.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    CapthavocCapthavoc Member Posts: 14
    2015 320s. Swapped speakers to punch with separate tweeter aimed at ceiling.  Put in 24 inch LG smart tv w/Bluetooth (kept Jensen receiver). Tv is 19v dc so I just put a dc/dc converter in line.  Uses all existing connections 
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,288
    Mickerly said:

For streaming movies or watching DVD's we picked up a cheap sound bar from Amazon. I doesn't sound bad and is much better than being blasted in one ear from behind. I used the optical output from a HDMI audio extractor to get sound to the bar, but it will also receive a Bluetooth signal . Very happy with the 27" Samsung monitor.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler