Options

Installing a JackIt Wing bike rack...

Might be a bit of a silly question, but seeing as the tongue jack needs to be removed to do this, would keeping the front end supported by having it hitched to the TV work, reasonably safely?  Especially if we chock one of the wheels as well?
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    subfreq111subfreq111 Member Posts: 45
    That should work fine. Jack stands under the tongue would also work.
    Nick / 2018 T@B 320 S / 2010 VW Jetta TDI / Coeur d'Alene, ID
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited March 2022
    As @subfreq111 indicates, leaving the trailer hitched to the TV will work fine. The drawback to that method is that it limits access, making it a bit harder to add the needed spacer (or washers if that's the route you're going).
    I have a hydraulic compact trolley jack that travels in my T@B, along with some cribbage from scrap dimensional lumber. The jack is relatively light but has a two-ton capacity and costs only $35 at HF. While its primary purpose is for tire changing - much easier to use than mechanical jacks - it comes in handy for a variety of tasks, like adding the Jack-it tower.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    The bottle jack route is the way we went with our installation, but I can't see where any of the other mentioned solutions will not work.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited March 2022
    @Jay_and_Kat, I agree with the above comments.  There are different viewpoints, but I left my trailer attached to my truck while installing the Jack-It.  For me, that made it easy to install and avoided having to unhitch the trailer and support the trailer tongue with a jack.  I also found it to be the safest way to install it (i.e., no chance of the trailer moving/shifting during the installation.)  Photos of my installation are included in the discussion thread linked below, but there are similar posts by others on the forum.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/11049/bike-rack-for-2015-t-b-320#latest
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 215
    So, Jack-It installed by leaving it hitched up!
    Thanks everyone!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Jay and Kat
    Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
    Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge