New Camper

Thinking of purchasing new/used T@B 320 S since I now know I can tow it with a 2.5L Subaru Outback 4 cylinder.  I would like to know what kind of hitch and whatever I need for the car (hitch, electrical brakes, stabilizer, etc. ).  Can someone give me recommendations and where is the best place to have it installed?  I checked with Subaru dealer and was told it would be around $1,000.  Thank you for any information you can offer to a newbie.  Thanks, Jen

Comments

• I recommend having the hitch work done where you buy the trailer so you get exactly what is suited to your vehicle and the T@b. 
  • newcamper320newcamper320 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for quick response.  Dealer is 4 hours away and said it take 6-8 hours depending on car.  I guess I will have to take the dog and stay overnight close to dealer.  Makes sense.  Thx
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    But the trailer dealer may not have any idea how to mount a hitch to a Subaru.  U-haul is famous for just drilling the frame of the vehicle to match the holes on their hitches.  That may weaken the frame of the vehicle.
    Research tow hitches on the internet and find a company who will ensure that their hitch will mate up with your year, make, and model of vehicle.  One outfit is eTrailer.  You will also need a wiring harness.  You should check with Subaru to determine if serious rewiring is needed.  Some vehicles come with a convenient plug-n-play system others do not and require a PhD to figure out how to connect a wiring harness into the vehicle's electrical system.  A general run-of-the-mill mechanic may be able to figure it out but may also compromise the vehicle electrical system in some way.  Modern vehicles are rather picky about their electronics.
    Even at $1000, the Subaru dealer may be the safest and best option.  Buying the parts from the 'net and then finding someone reliable to do the install may likely come close to or exceed that cost.
    Thanks, will check with Subaru dealer first.  At least I know it will be done right since I take m car only to dealer.  Thanks for responding.  This is completely new to me.
    Jen
    Is it a standard 2" ball on a T@B 320 read so much thought I saw 2 5/16" ball somewhere.
    Thanks,  Jen

• PassportPassport Member Posts: 112
    It probably will be done right by a dealer but things have happened.   If you are handy with tools (and have them) it's very easy to install a hitch.  One can purchase a hitch for U-Haul, off the internet at many sites for a pittance.  I hope I'm not too far out of order for advising you on this, but I don't like to see someone gouged by some business if it can be done by the customer.  Labor costs have increased in recent months.  Kind of wish I'd gotten Scoobedoo for the gas milage.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    @newcamper320 Yes, the TaB takes a 2-inch ball.  Most receiver hitches are in two parts, one. The receiver is mounted to the TV and a draw bar with the hitch ball is put into the receiver.  The dealer can mount the receiver, and you can buy the ball and draw bar as required (drop, rise, etc) for the trailer.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • screwlosescrewlose Member Posts: 18
    www.etrailer.com is a good site to research what would be needed.
    You'll want at minimum a class 3 Hitch with a 2" Ball at about 21" height.
    For a Brake Controller there are a bunch of options, all require some splicing into your Subaru's wiring except for the newer Bluetooth options which require a Smartphone.
    I have contacted Subaru to order parts for my 2018 Outback 2.5L hitch.  Parts department  says they have 1 1/4" receiver for my car, don't have 2" ones.  Will this be ok for a T@B 320 S?
    Thanks in advance.  This is completely new to me.  Thanks for all advice.

• scott14scott14 Member Posts: 132
    edited March 2022
    I realize this post may be slightly off the topic of the original post, but is the tow vehicle suitable for a 320S?  I have very little experience with towing, however, you mention a 4 cylinder is in the Outback.  A quick search shows a tow capacity of 2,000 to 2,700 pounds.  If my results are correct, at the low end of that capacity you may be over that amount even at the dry weight of the trailer.  Before spending the money on a hitch, are you confident it will tow to your satisfaction?  Again, not trying to stir up a hornets nest, just asking.
    Scott / 2022 T@B 320S / 2019 T@B 400 / 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ / Northern Illinois
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited March 2022
    Good point Scott14.  At first glace, not knowing the exact tow capacity of Jen's tow vehicle, it does sound like even the dry weight of the 320 is at the max.  Even with bare necessities, ready to camp it could easily climb to 2300lbs and the dry tongue weight is190 and packed ready to go it might be 230lbs.

Edit: it looks like the tow capacity might be 2700 BUT the fact that the hitch receiver for that vehicle is 1 1/4" says alot.  The turbo Outback can tow 3500lbs it says! Wow, that's a big difference from not turbo to turbo. 
    edited March 2022
    Newcamper, the fact that Subaru said the hitch for your vehicle is a 1 1/4" receiver is our answer to scott14's concern.  The 1 1/4" receiver will not work for the 320.  They sell adapters (I think) but what this really means is your vehicle is not rated to tow with a 2" receiver (which means higher tow capacity than the 1 1/4" receiver) Unfortunately, it sounds like you won't be able to tow a 320 with your current vehicle. 
    edited March 2022
    Tow vehicle choice aside, the Class 2 trailer hitch uses the 1,25” receiver, and typically has a gross carrying weight of approximately 3,500 pounds. In addition to higher towing capacity, a class 2 hitch also typically has a tongue weight capacity of around350 pounds.  So a TaB320 would be within the specifications for a Class 2 towing setup (given the TV is approximately rated.  Note, a Class 1 also uses a 1.25” receiver, but has a max rating of 2,000lbs.

That said, it is better (safety wise) to have a setup that would allow keeping the trailer load at 85% of the max rating.  So 3,500 lbs Class 2 setup would work fine for up to 3,000 lbs.  So a Class 2 is a suitable (minimum) size receiver/tow ball setup for a TaB320 using a 2-inch ball, but not the TaB400.  A Class 1 towing receiver setup would not be suitable for any TaB, but should work OK with a TaG kept at 1800 lbs loaded.
     cheers 
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @newcamper320, you will be able to find someone, somewhere who will install a 2" hitch to tow a t@b 320 with, BUT if you are towing over your vehicle's manufacturer limits your auto insurer may negate any policy you have. If an incident occurs, towing or not, with installed equipment rated over the manufacturer's limit, they can deny any and all coverage. The reasoning by the insurer is that if you would install what is considered to be inappropriate equipment on the vehicle, you would also tow equipment that is inappropriate to your vehicle's rating. The extended consideration is that you would also operate your vehicle in a negligent or inappropriate way. Thus, they have a right to deny any and all coverage.

As @TabbyShack said, your vehicle is not rated to tow a t@b 320. Consider your options for either a more capable tow vehicle or a smaller/lighter camper. Good luck.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • TabbieannecamperTabbieannecamper Member Posts: 32
    @newcomer320,  we have a 2015 320s and own a 2012 Subaru Outback 6 speed manual. For two years we towed our T@B with the outback, even out to Colorado. The 4 cylinder did fine on the level and most of the slightly hilly areas.Going up long hills was a strain. Slower going. Word of caution, have the hitch installed at the Suby dealership. They can also wire it up correctly and there is a warranty. We have owned numerous Subaru's and trust the dealers and their knowledge. You may need a transmission cooler installed also.
  • MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 342
    We tow with an Outback Onyx XT. It has plenty of power. 3500lb tow capacity and 350lb tongue load. A 320 should weight about 22 to 2300ish loaded. Well inside the capability of the vehicle.

You need to use the factory hitch. Aftermarket hitches often attach to areas not stressed for the added weight. Subaru provides a very good hitch. It's worth the money. As Denny16 said, after the factory hitch is installed, the rest is for you to find. Yes, a 2in ball. Determine the amount of drop needed for your Outback and your trailer. If your getting the trailer from a dealer, I would recommend getting that last piece when you pick up the trailer to make sure it pulls level when attached.

Because of the electronics involved in the Subaru traction control/braking system, we elected to use the Curt Echo brake controller. We have talked to other Subaru owners with other brake controllers. They work fine when properly installed. If you go with a hard wired controller, make sure the installer is familiar with the Outback's electrical system.

Stabilizers, etc. are unnecessary with the 320.

Welcome to the group.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    @newcamper320 I think that you're going to be overloaded based on your engine and towing capacity. If your towing capacity is actually 2700#, with some older Outbacks limited to 2000#,  you have to remember the laws of physics above everything else.
    Even with a 2700# capacity for a newer Outback, with the base weight of the Tab is approaching 2000#, that leaves very little room when you're loaded up for camping. You may consider looking at a T@g or simply finding a tow vehicle with at least a 3500# capacity.
    Yes, you can a tow with 2700# pound capacity, but it will stress your engine and transmission and possibly lead to a shortened tow vehicle life or expensive repairs. You hinted that $1000 for a hitch at the dealer being expensive, and it is, but so are major repairs to your damaged Subaru.
    Lighten the load (consider a T@g) or increase your towing capacity. Give yourself some wiggle room for a safe experience. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

edited March 2022
    New Camper, I highly recommend researching the reliability of the Curt Echo Wireless brake controller both on this forum and google.  I, and many others, think it is absolutely trash. (mine went out with the trash after about 18 months of use)  Most users seem to get about one season out if it before it starts locking up your trailer brakes no matter how meticulously you set it up even with Curt Tech Support on the phone with you.  I'm also seeing the same exact issues over on my Jeep Wrangler forum.  
  • MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 342
    The Echo does have a love/hate relationship with few customers in the middle. Ours has worked fine...after some time on the phone with Curt. They are very helpful. I know others using and Echo for many years without problems. I also know people that have nothing except problems. It's a modern product with modern quality control issues plus a few things not in the instruction manual.

That said, I agree with TabbyShack. You should research all the stuff you buy.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
    So far our Echo has worked fine.  
    Cheers 
    Thank you for all your comments, being brand new to all of this is a little over whelming but I want to see our beautiful country and sights.