Options

3 Way Fridge Discontinued

I was just told (third hand from a friend with one on order) that NuCamp has discontinued the 3 way fridge. I don't have any other details. It could be supply issues, but maybe its because the 3 way can't keep up on propane when the temps are really hot outside?  I think I saw this complaint here on the forum and my friend said the same thing. I've not tried this personally. 

I'm wondering are you still going to have a big fridge/little fridge option but both will be 2 way? 

Comments

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Interesting @TabbyShack. Every 400 I've seen advertised on dealer lots in our region seems to have 3 way fridges.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    I love our 3 way fridge.  As long as we precool before leaving, and only store cold food in there, it keeps up well even in hot temps.  Mind you - our 'hot temps' here are rarely above 90F.  But I wouldn't be tolerating that heat inside anyways - the A/C would be helping out :)
  • Options
    The change is just now happening on the current builds so you wouldn't see the changes on lots yet. I love my 3 way too and I rarely boondock so it would only be an issue if you don't have AC power. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited March 2022
    Three way fridges are just not as energy efficient as modern high efficiency compressor fridges, now being used in marine and RV applications. The Marine industry stopped using three was fridge systems in favor of simpler compressor setups, which are more adaptable to odd size spaces.

The RV industry seems to be heading in the same direction, even in Europe where three-way fridges are in high use.  Lithium battery systems are making this even more possible.  It also has to do with using more environmentally friendly energy. 

There are larger 2-way compressor fridges, nüCamp used one on their TaB 400 Solo.  With a cabinet tweak, a similar size unit could be offered as the large fridge option on current TaB400s.  That said, I find the smaller fridge more thst adequate for a three day camp trip, and need the larger wardrobe locker, more than a larger (difference in size is only around 1-cu.ft.) fridge. 

The main advantage to the larger fridge to me, is easier access to its contents than it’s slightly larger capacity.  A similar size compressor feigns offers a larger useable fridge space over a three way the same size, another advantage when capacity is important.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Oh, I'm sure you're right @TabbyShack. My previous comment was more along the lines of 'They must be clearing out the 3 way inventory'...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    So long 3 way fridge, it was nice while it lasted.  :)
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    It sounds like they are making the change for good reasons and if it can be big and also more efficient, I'm all for it.  One of the biggest aspects of my enjoyment of the T@B is the larger fridge capacity.  I go hog wild in Wegmans every trip and usually can't fit everything even in the larger fridge! 
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    The three way in my 2019 T@B 400 works well in the desert at 100+ degrees F. I use only on propane and 110VAC. I did have to replace the fan in the back of the fridge after 6 months, other than that it works well. As a full-timer I'd like to have a no-frost fridge. I defrost my Norcold about once a month. 
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 997
    I too love our 3 way fridge.  So far has worked great.  I also have an compressor fridge in the truck and love it too.  We take that with us when we go on trips that are 5-14 days.  However I prefer the 3 way for the trailer and the compressor as our mobile option.  I like being able to use propane when off grid for long trips and not worry about my battery life ever.  Even with our compressor fridge in the truck powered by a jackery 1000 I do have to watch the charge and make sure it gets recharged enough every 3-4 days.  With the 3 way I never have to think about battery charge at all and thats a nice non-stressor for me.  A larger compressor fridge in the same spot as our 3 way might be fine as long and they increased the solar capacity on the 400 to at least 200 watts minimum to help make up for the extra power usage.  I have no desire for lithium as I live in a climate where temps are very cold and for months on end.  I'd have to remove my lithium batteries for 5-6 months of the year or heat the compartment just to allow the batteries to charge over the long winter when the trailer is stored.  I like my dual AGM batteries as they tolerate the cold much better.  Each type of fridge certainly has it's merits and I like both of ours.  However I still think the 3 way is better for longer off grid trips and works better for our situation. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I quess it depends where you live and rv. I have had 4 rv's and all the class A with the 1200 series had a recall due to them having fires. When I pulled mine out to replace it with a resadential one the wood behind it was charded! All 4 rv's never worked well enough to keep things cool down here on the Gulf coast in the summer. Now with the compressor type I am now a happy camper.  Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    CamperQueCamperQue Member Posts: 26
    With the 3-way refrigerator being discontinued with the 2-way refrigerator and by chance if there is ever an issue where you will need to replace the 3-way refrigerator will there be an option for replacement without having to do modifications to the cabinet opening.

• Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    edited April 2022
    I think the environmental conditions the 3-way is safe to use while boondocking is limited enough for NuCamp to pull the plug (or propane line). Ours was a poor fit for the areas we were going to be camping in (exclusively boondocking), but 1.) we didn't know any better and 2.) in April 2020, while RV dealers were still cutting deals on old inventory early in the pandemic, the only T@B 400s available had 3-way fridges.
    After several outings with refrigerator temperatures over 60 degrees for more than 7 hours, monitored with bluetooth calibrated thermometer from outside the door, we changed refrigerators for food safety reasons. It was costly, but two years later, the T@B is worth more than we paid for it at end of model year sale.
    Even safer, efficient, 2-way fridges have limitations when it's hot. It's more about cabin temperatures than ambient and also time at that temperature. Here are results from a reasonably controlled test of that new 2-way replacement fridge last June:
    We have since purchased a couple of portable solar panels so we can park T@B in shade and harvest sun with the portables. Keeping cabin below 95 degrees is key to keeping 2-way below 41 degrees (food safe upper limit).
    A decent bluetooth thermometer is a great investment in knowing what temps food has been exposed to and for how long. I can honestly say that a 60 degree beer feels cold when you're sitting in a 103 degree trailer (but it's a dry heat, right?  :)).

2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    IAjules_KSmikeIAjules_KSmike Member Posts: 5
    We have a 2019 T@b 400 BDL with the larger capacity 3 way fridge. We have not had an issue with the fridge cooling on any power source, however our freezer door cracked at the screw line and the door fell off in my hand!  We placed an order with our dealer in January for a replacement part, and are just now hearing the fridge is discontinued and they cannot get parts. The option we were given is a new fridge which would cost $1400… not happening! My husband found something similar online that may or may not work, for $140. Much cheaper, yes, but if anyone has a fridge they are willing to part out - dibs on the freezer door! Otherwise, I’m channeling my inner MacGyver…. Thx! 
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited April 2022
    Oh no that's terrible!  Try calling norcold direct. 
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited April 2022
    @IAjules_KSmike There are a number of RV salvage yards around the US & Canada. It may take a bit of Google and phone work as most don’t list their full inventories online, but if contacting Norcold directly doesn’t get you the exact freezer door you need, there’s a decent chance a salvage yard has one.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited June 2022
    Here is a pic of the new 2-way fridge in the 400. I wonder how well it fits in the opening compared to a 3-way? 

• Options
    The three way fridge was in the same area, with a larger black bezel around it, so the new larger two-way should fit.  The cabinet on the 2021/2022 where the fridge/wardrobe is has not changed.  You may have to remove or seal the rear vents in the trailer’s side.  The AC and DC power connections are there on both model fridges.
     Cheers 

• Options
    I got one of the last 3 ways and I'm glad. I guess it is known to not perform well on propane? That's my guess as to why they switched. I've not used mine on propane yet so I just don't know. 
  • Options
    Does anyone here have the new 2 way fridge in their 2022 400? Just curious about the specs. 
  • Options
    I believe nüCamp switched from the 3-way to the new compressor 2-way fridge because Norcold discontinued the 3-way model they were using.
    Cheers 
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    Denny16 said:
    . . . believe nüCamp switched from the 3-way . . . Norcold discontinued the 3-way model they were using.
    @Denny16 can you provide a source/document for your comment?

NorCold did stop production on the original N3104 3-way however their web-site continues to show the N4104 3-way (recently used by nüCamp in 400's) as available in different size options.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    That information was in a previous post here about the change from the three-way to the two way.  Not sure which one, but it makes sense.  New models of these appliances come out and the older ones are discontinued.  
    I for one, think a two way compressor fridge is a much better option than a three way, with todays better batteries and solar charging available, for those who Boondock: 
      1. For most TaBers who use full hookup sites, a two way gives them more space in the fridge than a three way in the same footprint.
      2. Compressor fridges hold temp control in the f ridge much better and use.
      3.  You do not have big vent holes in the side of your RV.
      4.  It uses less DC power/energy running on 12VDC than a two-way
    What’s not to like with a compressor two-way fridge.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    @Denny16 ;  I have no disagreement with your logic on why a 2-way might be a better product marketing as well as owner option today.

However, that does not address your statement/belief that
    NorCold has discontinued 3-Way N4104 (or similar size) production.

It's fine if nüCamp chooses a product marketing/production option.
    But that is not the same as a supplier discontinuing a product line.

So do you have a source other than this forum to state NorCold has discontinued smaller 3-ways?
    I'm not trying to be difficult . . . am just interested in how the RV refrigeration options are evolving.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Norcold is still advertising the N4104 https://norcold.com/product/norcold-n4104-refrigerator/
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    B11B11 Member Posts: 42
    @MuttonChops
    I posted this on April 24. It's my direct communication from nuCamp re the switch to the new 2-way fridge:
    Hi Brian,

Thank you for being a part of the nuCamp family.

Yes Norcold discontinued the 3-way fridge recently and did not give us any warning. As of now your unit is still scheduled to receive the 3-way fridge. In the event that your unit would not have the 3-way fridge we have a larger 2-way fridge that would go in the same space. The following website has more specifics on that fridge. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/isotherm--cruise-130-elegance-silver-4-6-cu-ft-ac-dc-silver-door-3-sided-flange--14995229

While its true that you will not be able to use propane, the newer fridge is very efficient. We have been using an Isotherm fridge in our 320 S for the past couple of years and it has been incredibly reliable. We have been very pleased with it's performance. 

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Have a wonderful day, 
    2022 T@b 400bd
    2022 F-150
    Gratitude
  • Options
    B11B11 Member Posts: 42
    @MuttonChops We have the new isotherm 2-way fridge. Haven't gone camping with it yet as we just got our 400bd. We will be camping next week(boondocking) and can report our experiences.
    2022 T@b 400bd
    2022 F-150
    Gratitude
  • Options
    tinknockertinknocker Member Posts: 22
    Taking a guess the new 12VDC/120VAC frig is the Isotherm Cruise 130 Elegance 4.6 cubic foot.
    Specs state average  418 watt average/24 hours based on 41 degree refir setpoint and 77 degree ambient temperature. The compressor draw is 4.7 to 5.0 amps at 12VDC. Continuous run time in 24 hours would be 1354 to1440 watt hours. So based on average daily 418 watt hours the compressor will run 29 to 30 percent of the time.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    The smaller Cruise Elegance 64 average power draw, is easily replaced by the TaB400’s 180-190 watt solar panels, our Isotherm 2-way, a little less efficient than the newer Cruise Elegance power draw is quickly replaced by mid day by solar recharging here in Northern California.  The bigger Cruise E 130 will draw a bit more, but still doable with the solar recharging of the batteries whilst Boondocking.  With full hookups, there are not disadvantages.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    @MuttonChops, see B11’s comment above, it was his post that I saw.
    Sharon, Internet listings are often out of date, and what appears to be available, is actual not when you go to order it, especially from retail dealer listings.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    @B11, @Denny16;  Thank you.