Options

3 Way Fridge Discontinued

2»

Comments

• Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    edited June 2022
    Due to measured health risk in our particular camping season climate, we replaced 3-way fridge in T@B 400 with Isotherm 115 Freeline 2-way. Interestingly, it performs better than its specs, but we became super vigilant about opening door as infrequently as possible when cabin temperatures rise. Good probability the Isotherm 130 Cruise Elegance will still be a good match for the standard Boondock solar setup. Testing it out on a shorter trip would diminish any risk.

The door opening thing is real. Imagine the swoosh of 88+ degree air displacing 38 degree air in that tiny space compared with 72 degree air displacing 38 degree air in one side of your comparatively large french door fridge.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    Used our 3 way fridge for the first time.  AC at home to pre-cool; DC while on the road; propane while boondocking.  All worked well.  The original owner travelled for  weeks and claimed to have no problems but I think mostly used AC.  Perhaps we are lucky and hope it will continue.  How does one use a fridge w/o propane when boon docking -other than relying on a generator?
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    edited June 2022
    @Gherzig the newer fridges on 12v use very little power compared to the 3 way fridges on 12V.  My 2017 3 way uses 11 amps, the newer 3 ways are up to 16 amps.  The newest compressor fridges on 12V are rated at less than a third of those numbers, but: they run on a "duty cycle", so once they cool down, they run only about 1/3rd of the time.  Owners report using about 25-30 amps in 24 hours, which doesn't include any solar power charging the battery during the day.  A larger battery bank compared to the stock 80 ah battery is usually a good idea, and solar, of course.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    @Denny16 - also possible that they have inventory to use up.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    tinknockertinknocker Member Posts: 22
    Based on Isotherm info of average 418 watt hours that's about 35 amp hours per day. Could get a lot higher if the ambient temp is above 77 degrees and you keep opening the door for another cold one.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited June 2022
    Yes, good point Sharon, existing inventory from some dealers could also be available, and is an option.  I have seen this with other discontinued parts.  Tracking down existing inventory for fixing or replacing an older unit is always an option over replacing with a new replacement unit.  Unfortunately, my experience has been more than not, to find the dealer advertising a part or older stock item, didn’t have the item available and would offer a replacement part instead.  Thanks again.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    CAYoungCAYoung Member Posts: 1
    This is what we were told at the time we ordered our T@B 400 Boondock - "Nucamp has eliminated the 3 way-fridge option effective immediately and they are now offering a larger 12 volt compressor fridge in place of where the way fridge had been in the closet space. This fridge had been used in the T@B 400 solo and is cubic 
    foot bigger than the 2 way fridge and it is also deeper with a bigger freezer. You would still lose 
    the closet space but you get more room in the fridge. If you prefer the closet and want the smaller 
    one below the counter, that is perfectly fine. I just wanted to offer the 2nd option to you."

2022 T@B 400 BOONDOCK - 2020 JEEP GLADIATOR RUBICON
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    @MuttonChops I too received the information from Customer Service, Michael, that the 3way was not produced anymore: "Norcold discontinued the 3-way fridge that we installed in the 400. We have since moved to the larger 2-way fridge which is an Isotherm refrigerator and there are no need for vents."

It's the only reason moving to the 400 is now a probability!

Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    edited June 2022
    I also understand that nüCamp will only be offering the larger Isotherm AC/DC compressor fridge on 2023 TaB 400’s, no smaller 2-way fridge and hanging locker/wardrobe option.  This makes sense, as it seems the TaB 400s are majority customers are retired couples looking for adventures, the the larger fridge is acceptable without getting down on the floor or bending over, as was required with the smaller fridge.  

@CAYoung, I wondered if the 2-way larger fridge was the same or newer version of the one used in the Solo.  The original wardrobe locker area on the original TaB400s was too narrow for this larger 2-way fridge.  Then when more sales of the larger fridge option occurred, or just to make the option quicker to install, the wardrobe was redesigned, with the inside cubby shelves eliminated, the door and frame panel widened, with a drawer added below, allowed the transition to the larger Solo Isotherm fridge with a minimal change to the face of the cabinet, if any.  

Any RV is a set of compromises, I miss the option for the larger hanging locker/wardrobe with its interior shelves, removable bottom to easily access the water pump system and electrical systems, without having to disassemble anything.  But the larger 2-way fridge comes close to making this loss doable, along with the many other improvements over the last few years, including the new one piece composite floor.  

It will be interesting to see what other changes/improvements are made to the 2023/2024 TaBs.  Perhaps an all electric TaB400, eliminating the propane systems, with an induction cook top, using 300AH lithium battery bank, and additional solar charging.  That would be a TaB I would consider upgrading to…  B)
     Cheers 
  • Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143

We have a 2015 T@B S Max that we bought new to move to Alaska from Minnesota. It has a Norcold 3-way frig model 3163.  There are several RV dealers and services in our area, but none handle NuCamp products nor are there any in the state. The propane mode in the Norcold hasn’t worked properly for several years now, but works well in the A.C. and battery modes. So far this has not ben a handicap to us as we are senior citizens and have not done boon-docking so we always have had shore power at the camp site.

However, we may want to visit some state campsites that don’t have shore power and were wondering if there is a new, more reliable Norcold replacement with propane or one efficient in battery mode that would replace the current one without the major cabinet modifications I have noted in some of the posts here. Also what might the price of one of these be?

Of course shipping cost to Alaska would have to be taken into account. If anyone has ideas, it would be appreciated.

Fergie

Palmer,

• Options
    Yes, several TaB 320 owners have replaced the 3-way fridge with the Isotherm Elegance 65, which is the fridge nüCamp is currently using in the new 320s.  This is a very efficient AC/DC fridge that will run on DC power, without killing the battery.  Add a solar panel, and you can Boondock for extended periods.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    Made a new observation on a recent trip with our 3-way.  While temps stayed fairly consistently in the mid-70s (mid 20s in Celsius), and our interior stayed around 80 most of the day, the fridge did fine (kept nice and cool) when the sun was on the passenger side or directly overhead for the first half the day, but then when the sun started hitting the drivers side (fridge side), the fridge started to really struggle.  We would get interior temps of as high as +12C (53F), as the sun was directly on the wall containing the fridge.  So it's not just the heat but also where the sun is directed that made a big difference for us on this latest trip.

Might start planning to eat more perishable foods (meats etc) sooner and keep longer-lasting dairy, eggs, condiments, drinks in there for longer term..

Btw my wife has a great way to bring eggs - just put them in an old wine bottle before leaving home and stick the bottle in the fridge door :)