Options

Spare Tire Dilemma...I know, lots of threads on this.

Ok, I know his has been discussed and discussed over the years but I'm still not clear on why we can't find/get a donut sized spare. Is there just not one made, or is it because there are only two tires on the camper and having one size different would make towing impossible or dangerous even if just to get to a repair location?

I've never liked, or wanted to, store the tire under the tongue because I do not like/need/want that extra weight on the tongue and it can drag at times turning into gas stations...anyway, so on my 2019 I had the dealer just leave it under the bed (this is where Nucamp used to ship the spare) so now on the 2022 under the bed is reconfigured so it no longer fits. I already knew this so when I when to pick up the 2022 I had the dealer put it in the back of my Jeep.  My intention is to lug it with me positioned at the mid-point in my jeep, but obviously I wish there was small donut spare we could get to carry instead of the very heavy full-sized tire. 

Are T@B wheels so uncommon that a tow truck/service shop would not have a spare that would fit?

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited April 2022
    I do not think using a donut spare type spare tire would be safe on a single axle trailer like the TaB?
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    I've never seen a "donut" rated for trailer use so that probably explains it. Nothing special about the wheels or tires (except for the early Dutchman built T@bs) so you can easily find them in larger cities. In the boonies they might only have sizes that are typically used on farm trailers.

There are a few different solution to mounting the spare on the tongue but not under it. One is a mount that goes on the front jack, which obviously doesn't help with tongue weight. Others mount to the sides of the tongue and allow the spare a little further back.
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    The very best mod I ever did on my Tab was to get rid of the spare altogether! I use the Tab spare as the Jeep spare which weighs less than the original Jeep spare saving some weight on the jeep and that one spare which I carry mounted on the jeep (tab spare) where a spare is supposed to be mounted, that one tab spare is used for the JEEP AND THE TAB and it is carried on the jeep so no spare tire weight on the tab at all! I don't know what size wheel your jeep uses but all you have to do is find a wheel adapter for your jeep  (mine cost 32 dollars sure they have gone up like everything else) so the tab tire will fit on the jeep that way you no longer have to carry any spare at all on your tab! I have a thing on this site All about it but here are some photos to explane it. As a spare is only used to get me to a place where I can get it fixed or get another tire it is one step better than a doughnut tire!  Good luck Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    A friend got rid of her T@B spare after she called Good Sam road service.  They told her that they would bring a new tire if she ever called them out to come fix a flat.  Also, at T@Bazona last month, one owner did have a donut spare.  I'll prompt him to respond to this post.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    ColoradoDJColoradoDJ Member Posts: 8
    Tabaz just emailed me and inspired me to finally do my very first post. I’ve been stalking this forum for three years. I noticed someone else on this this forum put a spare donut on and just did it myself. I have a 2017 320S Max, pitched/boondock axel and 14” wheels. I never wanted to move my spare up front. I wanted to keep it out of the way and a lower tongue weight. My plan is to to never (I know, never say never) use the spare and I keep good tires to begin with, I have Goodyear Endurance. I’m fine with getting under there if I need to. The spare donut that fits is from a Chevy Equinox 05-09’. It’s a 16x4 T155/90 R16. It’s only an 1/8” difference in height, installed. I lost 3 Lbs. and gained 3” of clearance underneath. There are many on eBay for sale. I just happen to glance at Craigslist and found someone parting one out. I got it for $25. It had never been used. The tread is 4-ply, side wall is 2-ply and the temperature rating is A. It’s rated for 2337 lbs. I would assume I’m good for a few hundred miles. 
    2017 T@B 320S Max silver on silver “Tabin”. 2009 Toyota FWD White Tacoma Double Cab. 
    Leonard & Ronna, (Fort Collins, CO)

”Need More Cowbell”
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited April 2022
    Thanks ColoradoDJ!!  Tell me though how you managed to be a spectator for three years without chiming in! haha.  I'm a total forum addict!   I have a 400 so I wonder if it would still be ok since the weight is distributed on two tires?  

I guess I'm also trying to figure out what makes our wheel less common?  Are the mounting screws an odd configuration or something?
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    Tabaz said:
    A friend got rid of her T@B spare after she called Good Sam road service.  They told her that they would bring a new tire if she ever called them out to come fix a flat.  
    That's all well and good if you're always in cell phone range. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    Marceline said:
    Tabaz said:
    A friend got rid of her T@B spare after she called Good Sam road service.  They told her that they would bring a new tire if she ever called them out to come fix a flat.  
    That's all well and good if you're always in cell phone range. 
    And if whoever is being dispatched has the right tire on hand.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    ColoradoDJ won the "Most Impressive Mods" award at T@Bazona.  He's done some very cool things to his trailer. Hopefully he'll post some photos!
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    ColoradoDJColoradoDJ Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2022
    Thanks ColoradoDJ!!  Tell me though how you managed to be a spectator for three years without chiming in! haha.  I'm a total forum addict!   I have a 400 so I wonder if it would still be ok since the weight is distributed on two tires?   

Good question! I guess it’s my turn to start sharing. I’m no expert on this stuff but I would think at 2,300 lbs on one tire you would be ok
    2017 T@B 320S Max silver on silver “Tabin”. 2009 Toyota FWD White Tacoma Double Cab. 
    Leonard & Ronna, (Fort Collins, CO)

”Need More Cowbell”
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The spare donut that fits is from a Chevy Equinox 05-09’. It’s a 16x4 T155/90 R16. It’s only an 1/8” difference in height, installed”. 
    I guess with that close a fit, it,would,work, but all donut type spares are recommended to be used at reduced speeds…
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    I'm not comfortable putting a tire that old on the camper. I have 15" on my 400.