Options

Battery Box for 200ah

Are any of you using a 200ah lithium battery? If so, what battery box did you purchase?  I'm considering the 200ah CHINS and the dimensions are 20.55 x 9.45 x 8.58 inches.  The box that came with our 320 CS-S will obviously need to be replaced with something bigger.
2022 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock
2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
SW Ohio

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    edited April 2022
    That is...big.  It may be easier to find almost any other type of container, storage box, milk crate, etc.  I would take really close measurements, too.  Remember, a lithium battery can be mounted in any position except upside down.  You may find standing it on the side, etc.
    This Noco box was mentioned in the Amazon comments, but it is even bigger.

Edit:
    Someone else in this group pointed me toward this company who makes larger, easier to deal with battery boxes.  I bought the 30H for my 100 AH battery.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    @pthomas745 I started a new comment thread before I saw your post on this. The previous link I referred to, you and a couple of others were discussing battery replacement. I see you have a 2017 and I'm wondering what type of battery box/setup you had and how and where you replaced it. I want to get at least a good AGM group 27 battery and I don't think it will fit in my plastic tub and battery box. I currently have my second Interstate battery in less than two years and it's a group 24 to boot.
    2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    edited April 2022
    I have the 2017 Outback.  I bought a 100 AH lithium battery, which means I went from a Group 24 to a Group 27.  Apparently, the lithium batteries are "not exactly" the same measurements as the "lead acid" group size measurements, but they are close.
    In my trailer, the new battery sits along the back wall of the tub. I bought a Noco group 27 box for the new battery, but the "ordinary" battery boxes have odd shapes.  The lumps and bumps of that box made made the newer, bigger battery a bit hard to handle in the tub.  Somewhere, in one of the battery threads, someone pointed out the All Battery Sales web site.  Pricy box, but the larger battery has a few extra inches to move around in my tub. The pictures below show how the group 27 fits on the back wall of the tub, or can fit "front to back".  There really wasn't much room for the battery box in the "front to back" configuration.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    edited April 2022
    @pthomas745 because you have the Outback, you have a different tub than mine. Mine doesn't have a bottom so it'll be a bit trickier to figure it out. Are you concerned about having such an expensive battery exposed in the tub? I see many put their gems under the bench inside. That may be another mod I'm not thinking I want to do, like a few other ones I tackled.
    2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    Buckster, we put two 100ah Battle Born lithiums (200ah total) in our 2022 T@b 320s BD and they fit snugly in the space next to the propane tank.

Doug K
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited April 2022
    Battery boxes go back to lead acid batteries that could and have developed leaks, and to,protect the battery from damage and shorts.  A good lithium battery already has its own rugged battery box, the case it is assembled in.  Even the new AGMs are not normally put in a box, except when they could be exposed to weather or potential damage.  

The original nüCamp install of the large AGM in the TaB400 in 2018, was not in a box as such, but was framed in under The rear bunk.  Later a black shroud was added around the battery to vent off any possible outgassing to an external vent.  This and the current plywood battery box used in the 400 is for sealing any outgas venting from the battery, since it is under the bunk.

Original nüCamp install of the TaB400 battery, no box.

The AGM Battery was enclosed in this shroud after Jan 2018, and used in the 2019 model year TaB400s to provide additional protection to the battery.  Whilst this enclosure appears to add some vapor protection, it is not entirely sealed, nor vapor proof.  See the cut corner on lower right side of the enclosure.

If mounting the Lithium battery in the front tub, you might want an additional case to protect the top of the battery from any possible shorts.  Lithium batteries do not off gas or vent any fumes like lead acid batteries do, so no need for a vapor proof enclosure.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    Yes, the two BB 100ah lithiums each have their own battery box and fit nicely in the tub of our 320s BD.

Doug K
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    @Buckster, A lithium (or AGM) battery doesn't require a battery box, as @Denny16 noted. You can consider battery post terminal covers to reduce the possibility of accidental shorts. Here is an example...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    As @Denny16 points out, a lithium battery doesn't really need a box, except to protect it from the elements. I have a mouse problem where I keep my trailer, so I didn't want to use a traditional vented battery box. I searched high and low, and found a cheap plastic file folder box was a good solution. I hit on this solution by typing the approximate dimensions of the enclosure + plastic box into Google, then looking through the hits under "Shopping" and "Images." 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Nice solution @Marceline, but you may want to add a grommet to the wires where they exit the box to prevent any chafing of the wire insulation.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BucksterBuckster Member Posts: 62
    CrabTab said:
    @Buckster, A lithium (or AGM) battery doesn't require a battery box, as @Denny16 noted. You can consider battery post terminal covers to reduce the possibility of accidental shorts. Here is an example...

Everyone's input has been helpful - thank you! CrabTab: is the cover you are using basically the plastic top off of a battery box?
    2022 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited April 2022
    The gray rectangle you see is a Renogy AGM battery (100AH size) @Buckster. The terminal covers I mentioned are red and black, sitting on top of the battery. They look something like this.

You can find them at most auto parts stores. Those shown are from NAPA.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022