Options

Just picked up a new 320 S Boondock can't unhitch the coupler ? I tow with a Jeep Gladiator, Ideas?

CCCCCC Member Posts: 116
I tow with a Jeep Gladiator and had a drop down hitch which they converted to a drop up hitch and added 10 lbs or pressure to the tires. It seems the angle it too severe (high) to crank the hitch up high enough to release the ball. Is there some trick? I've never used one of these coupler hitches before.
2022 T@B 320 S Boondock  "UGA", Jeep Gladiator Overland
North Georgia

Comments

• Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    @CCC can you add a pic of the hitch and hookup?
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    Sorry, can't figure out how to post pics.
    North Georgia
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    edited April 2022
    If you backed into a spot, try pulling forward even just a few inches before trying to uncouple. This can relieve some of the pressure on the hitch, allowing the coupler to open. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,595
    If the newer units continue to use the Yoke-Style Coupler . . .

Suggest you place blocks of wood under the Jack Post Wheel as you must be able to raise the trailer 2-4 Inches higher than the towing ball.
    Do make 100% sure you have chocks on the trailer wheels so the trailer Does Not Move.
    Also, new couplers can be stiff . . . do not Hammer On It . . . play with tow ball vs coupler contact distance and angles until the coupler will open By Hand.

For reference:

P.S.
       Weird that you have installed a 'drop-up ball' as the Gladiator is a high clearance vehicle while the topical Boondock coupler is some 18-inches above the grounds.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    edited April 2022
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited April 2022
    You probably do not want a raise hitch on the Gladiator for a TaB320.  I use a straight receiver tube for the TaB400 Boondock on my Gladiator.  The trailer need to be level when it is being towed.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    @CCC, to clarify, is the problem that you can't get the hitch to unlock from the ball, or is it that the hitch unlocks but you just can't crank it high enough to clear the ball? 
    2015 T@B S

• Options

North Georgia
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    @CCC, to clarify, is the problem that you can't get the hitch to unlock from the ball, or is it that the hitch unlocks but you just can't crank it high enough to clear the ball? 
    Cannot get the hitch to unlock.
    North Georgia
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited April 2022
    Try rolling the Jeep forward just the tiniest bit. I've had this happen before. Just even an inch or two. This usually happens when I'm ever so slightly to far back. It traps the mechanism inside the latch. Moving forward tiny bit releases it
  • Options
    Also agree....flip the hitch back over the other way. You don't need rise with a jeep. Normally you need a drop hitch. 
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    A few other things to try:
    Lower the jack again and then hold the lever up continuously as you crank it up again. 
    Roll the trailer forward onto leveling blocks (both sides) to flatten out the tongue angle. 
    I agree with others that it looks like the ball is too high. I think the top of the ball is supposed to be something like 20” from the ground for a Boondock. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited April 2022
    Yes, raising the tongue Jack with the hitch lever in it’s locked position, will just pick up the Jeep’s rear end, you need to get the lock lever released first, with the trailer and Jeep in a neutral position, trailer weight resting on the hitch ball.  
    Once the lever is pulled back, the trailer’s tongue ball mount should slip off the hitch ball, allowing the trailer to be jacked up and off the hitch.  As previously stated, place something in front (and rear) of the trailers wheels to prevent it from rolling, put the Jeep in neutral, to let it slightly roll forward (you do not want pressure pushing back into the trailer’s hitch) to release any pressure on the hitch, then crank it up.  
    Sometimes I need to jiggle the trailer release lever a bit to get it to release all the way up.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 354
    If you backed up hill into the spot, you may need to push the trailer back while you release the coupler. The weight of the trailer rolling forward against the ball prevents it from unlatching.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 614
    edited April 2022
    It may help to spray some lubricant (not WD40) into the mechanism from below.  That has helped mine unlock/lock more easily.

Also, is your trailer level?  If the hitch is too high, I could see the mechanism not operating as intended to clear the ball to unlock.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Thanks all. It was backed uphill a bit and with the uplift position of the hitch put pressure on it. Opened up pretty easy once I got it level. Glad I learned when I wasn't out in the wild. Ordered a neutral hitch.
    North Georgia