Options

AllPro Cover for TAB 400 & windows

geoBgeoB Member Posts: 67
What is nüCamp's position with respect to the effect of AllPro Awnings on Tab Boondock windows? We live where there are often wind gusts to 50 mph and higher. The first winter with at AllPro awning on our trailer while in storage has, we think, resulted in scuffed up windows. An example of the tough to photograph scuffing is below - it's the cloudiness of the tree in the shade. Every window on our trailer has been affected.

2018 Audi SQ5 + 2021 T@B 400 BD replaces '99 Roadtrek 190 Popular (same mpg with half the range)

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    edited May 2022
    Here is the “cover” disclaimer from the AllProAdventures.com site:

Notice: This top-quality material does not tear and has the potential of scuffing your window in high wind.
     To avoid this, cover your windows with soft linen. Some people use flat sheets or even pillowcases.  
    We are not responsible for damaged windows.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    All Pro awning? Or do you mean cover? The covers definitely scratch the windows and also rubbed the silver finish off the tops of the tail lights. 
  • Options
    Ouch! Wish I'd seen that last year. I like the possibility of UHaul wrap method I saw today.
    2018 Audi SQ5 + 2021 T@B 400 BD replaces '99 Roadtrek 190 Popular (same mpg with half the range)
  • Options

Oops. I meant cover, not awning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited May 2022
    Despite the rubbing and scratching on my 2019 400, I still put the cover on my 2022 400. I think the protection against sun damage outweighs the scratching, BUT its a personal choice. I'm still a bit torn.  I did put blue painters tape on the tail lights though on my new one.  I tried saran wrap once but since I cover after every trip, it was way too much trouble. 

I saw a post recently where someone had a McGuire's product that helped with the scratches. I will see if I can find it. 
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,184
    The packing wrap or Saran Wrap method suggested works extremely well. 

This past fall I covered all of the windows with Saran Wrap before covering the trailer. We had a couple of high wind events during the winter and the wrap held up great and we have scuff free windows. 

It’s a little bit of effort but not bad. And it just peels right off in the spring.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Good use for non-adhesive window film.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    Can you explain what the “Uhaul wrap method” is? Are you simply laying Saran Wrap on top of the windows or do you need to tuck in in at the ends? 
    We have used the cover for 2 seasons now and really wish we had known about this at the start because our windows are slightly scuffed. 
    Anyway to clean them up now? 
    Mary
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    You mentioned a "McGuire" product. Was it perhaps Mequiar's?
  • Options
    AubreyAubrey Member Posts: 144
    There are good products for repairing scratches on motorcycle windscreens that will polish out light scratches. Check your local Harley dealer...
  • Options
    I understand the need for a disclaimer.  There would be many fewer surprises if there was also a disclosure. Perhaps they could include a tag on the cover's zippered container to advise users of the potential for damage?

The scratches on our windows are now virtually all gone with a judicious application of elbow grease & Novus 1 & 2.
  • Options
    hustoncshustoncs Member Posts: 18
    edited July 2022
    We purchased the Allpro cover for our trailer and it fits perfectly. However before we put it on we did cover the windows with plastic sheet material and used painters tape to anchor the sheet material down. We did this after reading this thread "Thanks very much!" and reaching out to Allpro.  Next time we'll use cling wrap on the windows since this will be easier.

The area where our trailer is stored is outside and windy on most days, so this makes sense to do. Overall we are very happy with the cover as it will protect our trailer from the sun. Thanks for all the info about this! Cheers
    2001 Toyota Sequoia || 2022 Tab 400 Boondock