Options

Removable outdoor shower hose mod

YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
I've been on the list of 320 owners that find the stock outside shower hose storage in the maze of piping and wiring to be problematic. With "retired guy time" on my hands I did the following mod...
Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT

Comments

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    @YanniLazarus can you give some info on the quick connect fitting (source/part number)? Also, how is the wood plug attached? Thanks.

Nice work!

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    NS6D10008 Valved Male Thread Coupling Body 1/2 NPT - Single

NS6D42008 Valved Panel Mount Hose Barb Coupling Insert 1/2 ID Barb - Single

From freshwatersystems.com

Expensive but beautifully crafted. Waited months for shipment...

The wood block is held in place by one wood screw with fender washer from inside. Visible in picture. I used the tip of a glue gun to melt the fastening hole since i was scared to drill that plastic. That is the only change I made to the shower casting. I wanted a really solid backing for the new fitting so there wouldn't be any chance of breaking the plastic shower unit. The wood block and fitting are easily removable so I can access the rear of the hose connection if I ever need to. 
  • Options
    AubreyAubrey Member Posts: 144
    Does it improve the shower stream and reach of hose? What shower end are you using?
  • Options
    The hose reach is going to be significantly better... instead of pulling the hose out of the "crazy" cavity and trying not to kink it, and having to leave a foot or two of hose in the cavity itself, the hose is attached on the outside face of the T@B.  I'll be using a 5' hose.  The shower head?  It seems like people on this forum like Oxygenics.  I've ordered two heads.  I think I'm likely to use  the 26788 Oxygenics head for the outdoor shower since it is a bit smaller and will stow more neatly in the back of my car when not in use.  I'll be using it to wash dishes outside as well -- so I do like that it is a bit more faucet like.  I've also ordered a Dura Faucet Premium RV Handheld Shower Wand which I may use for the inside shower.  I should also mention that the small pressure tank installation I recently did makes EVERYTHING water related work more smoothly and quietly when boondocking.
  • Options
    AubreyAubrey Member Posts: 144
    I will be investigating the pressure tank for sure...  thanks
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    Nicely done @YanniLazarus.  This mod has been on my to-do list for awhile for my 2015.  Like you I would want to store the shower head and hose somewhere else and not have more stuff snaking around under the bench.  I'll have to shop around for the box & hot/cold control valves.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 289
    NS6D10008 Valved Male Thread Coupling Body 1/2 NPT - Single

NS6D42008 Valved Panel Mount Hose Barb Coupling Insert 1/2 ID Barb - Single

From freshwatersystems.com

Expensive but beautifully crafted. Waited months for shipment...

The wood block is held in place by one wood screw with fender washer from inside. Visible in picture. I used the tip of a glue gun to melt the fastening hole since i was scared to drill that plastic. That is the only change I made to the shower casting. I wanted a really solid backing for the new fitting so there wouldn't be any chance of breaking the plastic shower unit. The wood block and fitting are easily removable so I can access the rear of the hose connection if I ever need to. 
    Ebay sometimes will have these parts cheaper and more readily available. That's what I had to do as Freshwater systems were out of the one of the parts.
    I did this modification using the same connectors and added a 12' hose to boot. One of the best outside modifications to bring added utility to the outside water access.
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 418
    @YanniLazarus that is fantastic modification. Excellent work!
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    elbolillo said:
    I did this modification using the same connectors and added a 12' hose to boot. One of the best outside modifications to bring added utility to the outside water access.
    My guess is I got the part numbers from you in a previous post!  Thanks! 
  • Options
    Did you drill a larg-ish hole in the plastic housing for the fitting? Was it difficult? Does it seem strong enough? I do wonder if my wooden insert solution was (typical) overkill. 
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    edited May 2022
    Not sure that I was the first to do the quick disconnect outdoor shower mod, but we've been using ours with the long hose for quite some time without any type of insert and it has held up well.

edit to add that this picture was from right after the initial work was done last summer. I've since blocked off the opening where the shower head use to rest.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    AnoldUR... how did you drill that hole in the plastic housing? Any trouble? 
  • Options
    @YanniLazarus. No, it was pretty easy using a hole saw with a pilot. Next I plan to get another 12’ of hose and put disconnects on either end so that it will reach further to a campsite picnic table for doing dishes.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    SierraSierra Member Posts: 42
    @AnOldUR - In the third pic you have used an all plastic internal connector hose to the quick connect. I don't want to use metal on plastic and don't want to cut done the plastic shower hose as I have found new connections with a clamp often leak. And is it a true 1/2 inch size?

2019 TAB 400 Boondock Lite 
  • Options
    @Sierra, that plastic fitting is a pipe thread to fit the disconnect on one end and barbed on the other. I’m pretty sure it was 1/2” barb, but can’t remember. I know that I stuck the hose end into boiling water to soften it up so it would slip over the barbed end. It was a very snug fit and probably wouldn’t have leaked even without the hose clamp. I was not worried about cutting the original hose since I knew I’d never use it again and is easily replaced if the need was there.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
    @YanniLazarus, great job. I'm going to add it to my "retired guy time" too.  :D
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    elbolillo said:
    My guess is I got the part numbers from you in a previous post!  Thanks! 
    I like your additional work with the plug. I didn't get that fancy and only put a couple of pieces of gorilla tape across the opening. I think I might need to rig up something a bit more durable.