Options

Do I need pressure regulator on black tank flush? UPDATE YES I DO!

So on my 2019 I didn't need pressure regulator to flush black tank.  The connection was right there at the black tank. On the 22 it's inside the Nautilius so that makes me think I need the regulator for the black tank flush now? I used it just in case but I only have one so having to move it from fresh water hose over to blank tank flush hose and would rather not do that, so need to know if needed so I can order another one.  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 268
    I would buy another regulator and use it. Last thing you want to do is blow out one of your lines in the trailer. The leak will flow all across your trailer floor. You still can flush out your black tank with the regulator’s lower pressure.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited May 2022
    I thought the 2022 T@B had an inline fresh water pressure regulator and an external one wasn't needed. Wouldn't you just need the regulator for the black tank (if at all)?

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    In my opinion there is no need for a pressure regulator on a black tank flush as it is an open system so water will continually flow out the sprayers.  The line does not hold pressure. 

I've used mine with a regulator at the spigot and without a regulator.  Both options appear to work fine as with the regulator on I did not seem to notice a change in how the nozzle spray sounded vs without the regulator.  I guess what I'm saying is that if there is already a regulator attached to the hose there is no need to really remove it prior to flushing but if there is not one hooked up I would not bother attaching one prior to flushing.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    Agreed.

Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Also, the black tank flush connection on the Nautilus is just a hose to pipe connection, with its own separate pipe run to the black tank.  You want pressure on this to get the best spray action in the black tank.  This dedicated pipe run, has its own check valve and regulator, so additional ones are not necessary.  The only difference between a pre Nautilus TaB and the new er units with the Black flush connection on the Nautilus panel, is the location of the hose connector (on Nautilus vs being on the trailer’s side) and a little longer internal PEX pipe run for the flush line).
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Reading through discussions today I came across the one where I had seen the topic of the built-in water pressure regulator. I see now that further discussion in the thread disclosed that this update was discontinued. If I could, I'd delete my previous comment @TabbyShack. Sorry to All!

Here is a link to my source: Do the 2021 or 2022 Tabs have a built in water pressure regulator (vanillacommunity.com)

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    Yes, the built in pressure regulator was only on a few builds, didn’t even last for the entire year model,run.  This regulator was also only on the city water connection, and not the black tank flush connector.  They are entirely separate plumbing runs.  Unlike the City Water connection, Black tank flush does not go through any of the Nautilus valves either.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited May 2022
    Thanks Bergger, Horigan, and Denny. This is what I was kind of thinking, so I have three more people in agreement, so I will go without the pressure regulator on the black flush.  We do want as much pressure as possible for the sprayer mechanism to work good and I thought it has its own separate plumbing (obviously wouldn't be tied into the hot/cold lines!), but since it was back at the Nautilus I didn't want to take any chances, but I will go without out it next time.  
  • Options
    Ok so last trip I used pressure regulator when I flushed the black tank. No issues no water alarm.  This trip (just got home) flushed without the pressure regulator and water alarm went off n alde compartment and I had about 1/2 cup water in the alde compartment which of course ran out from under there and all over the floor while towing. Thankfully not alot of water to wipe up BUT any water is not a good thing.  So at least on my unit I need the pressure regulator to flush black tank.
  • Options
    Sounds like you have a loose connection, and it depends on what your shore water pressure is.  Some communities can have water psi greater than 80-100 psi, which will cause leaks in any plumbing.  My house in Diego needed a pressure regulator on the house to reduce the pressure to 65-70psi (max recommended psi for most homes).  

Glad you got it sorted.  Adding a pressure regulator to the black flush doesn’t hurt anything, and offers some additional protection.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Now that you mention it, the pressure did seem really high at the dump faucet.  When I was finished dumping I turned the hose back on to rinse the dump hose and it got away from me from the pressure pushing it around like a loose fire hose... not that strong obviously but it was moving around like a snake.  I hope I didn't damage anything.
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 268
    Just use a pressure regulator whenever you introduce water into your trailer and you’ll be OK.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    Docbadger1Docbadger1 Member Posts: 8
    I had a loose fitting on the black take flush line that enabled water water to come out into the space where the Alde is under the bed on my second use of the black tank flush. I was using a pressure regulator too. Others have had similar issues. Luckily, mine was where I could easily get to. If you are unlucky and it is one of the fittings behind the sink you are looking at a bigger issue to deal with to get to the fitting. After tightening the loose fitting I haven't had any issues with leaks. While both sides are correct on this, it is safer to use a cheap pressure regulator to ensure that you are not putting too much stress on the connections. While the black tank flush is technically open, the sprayer causes a restricted flow so with enough pressure you could possibly exceed the safe pressures for the line connectors. Not likely with most water systems. Having an inline regulator will ensure that you don't ever exceed and probably won't take away much from the cleaning action of the sprayer. Only dumping your black with at least 3/4 tank is a bigger deal. I always add water before I dump so that the tank dumps well. Followed by running the black tank flush for a bit before moving on to drain the grey.