Options

Battery power issue solved 2021 tab 400 BD

Hello all,
I wanted to share a little info because I thought our camping trip was going to be a bust as we lost battery power completely ( only worked on shore and vehicle). Battery power was out. Knowing this might be a fuse/breaker issue. I could not find any breaks until I saw the attached device. I can only assume I must have hit the little yellow button putting stuff away, and the little yellow lever dropped. After pushing it back up, I got power again. This saved our boondocking trip in the Rockies.
2021 Tab400 boondock, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Welcome to the Forums, and thanks for the picture of the Gloso circuit breaker.  Either by bumping or power surges, it is a fairly common thing to happen to 400 owners.  In this thread, the comment by "Dragonsdofly" gives a quick summary of the reasons for that special breaker (along with all the other battery fuses). 
    If you didn't bump the Gloso, the other reason for this circuit breaker to release is the power surge from the converter attempting to put too much power into a depleted battery.  Here is the comment, and there is some more info in the thread.

the change came from nüCamp. The t@b 400's manufactured after yours now have a 40A fuse or breaker in that position. The heavily discharged AGM batteries in the 400 will draw more than 30A through that junction in the charging process. Think of it this way: an extremely thirsty person, when given something to drink, will pull so hard that they collapse the straw in the drink. A much bigger straw is necessary for the extremely thirsty person to get enough liquid through the straw to satisfy their thirst. The same is true of the larger capacity batteries when they are depleted. They need greater capacity in able to charge properly. This was a lesson learned by nüCamp early in the production of the 400's. Since the early models (2018) they have been produced with the 40A in place to allow adequate charging without the damage you experienced. Good luck with your upgrade project. You may also want to check your wire gage at the new 40A location. Sufficient gage to carry the increased draw is also necessary for the system not to be overtaxed.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 268
    I have bumped that circuit breaker and caused it to trip as well. The switch is is uncovered and located in a vulnerable position on the back wall of the the outdoor storage compartment. I’m still working on figuring out how to put a cover over the circuit breaker so if something moves around in the compartment it won’t trip it again. Until then I will try to keep everything away from it.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 130
    Oh, how I love this Forum!!  I just ran into this issue while prepping the Bella Villa for this year's camping season.  Must have bumped the switch while reorganizing the storage area.  Many thanks to Kevin and Binghi for proactively sharing the solution and location of the switch - a one-minute fix for sure.  Saved me much time and frustration.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited May 2022
    I like the location of this circuit breaker on the 2018/2019 TaB400s, it was on the right side of the wall (where the battery used to be), and was more protected against accidentally being tripped.  The battery cut off switch was next to it, offering protection form being bumped into.  This is also easier to reach and reset if needed.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.