Access for Soft Start (EasyStart) Installation?

TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 604
I attempted to begin installation of a soft start on the Coolcat today, removing the access panel to the electrical stuff.  However, I don’t see the start capacitor in that compartment; only the run capacitor labeled “Herm”, “Fan” and “C”.  For those who have installed a soft start, where is the start capacitor? How did you access it?  Did you have to remove the entire unit from the camper?

Does this mean there is no start capacitor on the Coolcat?

I saw a “finished” photo posted by @ChrisFix saying he installed one, but how . . . … ?
2020 [email protected] 400 BDL w/ solar, Isabella awning
2016 F-150 4x4 Crew, 3.5L Ecoboost
Middle Tennessee
YNWA LFC

Comments

• TabbyShackTabbyShack Member Posts: 782
    edited May 8
    This video shows whole process.  View it from inside YouTube so you can read the comments section. The guy provides some critical need to know instructions prior to starting the install. Just know this will void warranty on the coolcat. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    2022 [email protected] 400 (Previous 2015 320, 2019 400)
    2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe (Hybrid 375hp 470 Torque)
    [email protected] Name: [email protected] Shack
    Fort Washington, MD
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 604
    After I posted, I realized that there was only one red wire on the “HERM”, which meant there was no separate start capacitor to deal with.  Also, I sent an email to Micro Aire just to verify, thinking it would be Monday or Tuesday before I heard back, but Roger at Micro Aire responded almost immediately!   I took some photos and sent them back to him, along with what I thought I needed to do, and he confirmed my steps in a reply email.  Service on a Sunday!  That’s awesome!  Now to see if I’ve screwed it up or not . . . . .
    Middle Tennessee
    YNWA LFC
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 604
    Just know this will void warranty on the coolcat. 

Both of the major soft start companies claim their devices should not void the manufacturers warranty.  (They reference the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and the voiding of warranties for adding an aftermarket part). At least for Micro Air, they extend their device’s warranty to also include the compressor of the air conditioner as additional piece of mind for the buyer.  The extended warranty is free, but you have to apply for it within 30 days of device purchase, and it will cover RV compressors up to 6 years old at time of installation.
    Middle Tennessee
    YNWA LFC
  • Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 56
    edited May 14
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/15060/air8-and-microair-easystart-read-this-first-so-that-you-can-avoid-our-drama#latest

Recent photos and steps for a successful installation.   Yes the start capacitor is hidden away elsewhere.  

2021 T&B 320S Boondock/ Tacoma 4 cylinder truck