Options

On the road challenges and great support

DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
edited May 2022 in Modifications & Upgrades
While on a long awaited cross country trip (8500 miles) I encountered some challenges. with my 2018 Tab 400. 

The first challenge was my Ultimate trailer jack failed and the gears stripped and wouldn't go up or down. I was able to hitch to our Tab after lowering the air bags on my TV and I was on to Tucson area from Las Cruces NM.  On the road I called Tom Camperland RV in Tucson and they said the had an electric jack.  Upon Arriving at Tom's, they were unsure the jack would fit but they just removed a jack off a new camper and sold it to me for $10, they saved the day.  Very thankful.

Next challenge was battery failure which took a bit longer to diagnose but after reading a post by @JeffroNC my issue was clear.  The battery would take a charge but would lose voltage overnight to the point it was reporting low voltage alert even though the SOC should have been 90%.  The 2-way refrigerator was cycling frequently and just off a bit.  Long story short, I had reservations every 2-3 days and 300 miles between stops and my challenge was getting new batteries while moving.  I contacted Battleborn and they were able to ship two heated 100 Ah batteries to a RV park I had reservations within the next week.  The RV park agreed to receive and hold the batteries for me.  Everything came together and I removed the two AGM batteries and installed one 100 Ah Lithium to allow us to complete our trip.

We arrived home and I just completed the battery installation with a new converter, fabricated a new battery enclosure and mounted a switch for the internal battery heater.

The support and kindness I received during my challenges was truly heartwarming and allowed us to continue on our trip without interruption.  NuCamp was there when I needed them, Creed, Raphael and Elsie were at the top of their game.  Tom's Camperland came through at a crucial time and I didn't miss a beat.  BattleBorn was flexible and could not have been more supportive for ordering, timely shipping and installation support.
We met our goal of visiting the rest of the lower 48 states on this trip and visited some amazing National Parks on our way. I love my Tab and after almost 4 years my appreciation only has increased.
2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
Massachusetts

Comments

• Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    The information I have gained from the folks here has saved my bacon more than once. It’s good to know that I returned the favor to a small degree. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Guessing a new battery enclosure was required because OEM was designed for a pair of GC2 form factor batteries? If a person were to replace with the BB GC2 firm factory would they be drop in?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    @N7SHG_Ham  I would check dimensions with BattleBorn, they are extremely knowledgeable. I did make a new battery box which in the end was a benefit to enclose the battery monitor, inverter fuse and fuse from DC/DC battery charger. I had heard that the BB GC2 do fit in the original battery box but that is unconfirmed. I also opted for the heated batteries as I live in the Northeast and have traveled in sub-freezing temps. I never checked to see if BB GC2 were available with heaters. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @DenisP thanks. Last I checked no heated GC2. GC2 version should fit if BB made them to standard GC2 size since that is what the dual 6v AGM size is. If course two would need wired in parellel rather than stock configuration of series.

BB says storage to -10F is spec, charging is auto cutoff below 24F and can be used down to -4F.

With that in mind with a 400 with batteries in heated space not sure the heated version is needed? If you are storing below -10F sure, but then the battery likely won't do that for long without being dead, so seems external heat or power is required or removing them to a heated space for storage anyway below -10F.

2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    @N7SHG_Ham  My reasoning to get the heated batteries was in the past we have traveled South to escape some of the winter for a few weeks and the temps for the first 500 miles were below 24 F. The tab was unheated during travel and wouldn’t have accepted a charge. The BB will discharge until you get below -4F but the charging is important. I have 200 W rooftop solar and a DC/DC charger which are both active while towing and combined with the heated BB will allow maximum flexibility in the cold. The upcharge for the heated batteries was minimal ($100 each) compared to the total cost of the batteries. 
    I plan on removing the BB during winter storage and made the battery box with the removal in mind. (Lexan cover). 
    As with everything camping, everyone’s situation and needs can vary and in my case this should work for me. 
    Take care.
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Nice install Dennis, I agree with getting heated batteries in this location next to the storage locker door.  Did you 2018 have the dual 6-VDC batteries in the black battery cover, or the one large 230 AmpHrs AGM?  Our 2018 TaB 400 had the original single big AGM battery, no black cover (Jan 2018 build).  This original battery location under the Pax side of the rear bunk, has more room than the new rear center location being used now.  It also gives better access to the batteries, no screwed down panels to remove.

This area is also,has additional floor support under the battery area to Cary the weight of the batteries, and the Lithium batteries will weigh less anyway, but still has a good lbs per square foot load, that requires the extra bracing under the false floor of the storage area.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Denny16 My 2018 400 had the two 6v AGM batteries with the plastic battery box.(March 2018 build). The space once the box was removed was perfect for the two batteries. I had some beautiful maple acquired locally which was nice for the new battery box.
    The heated BB 100 Ah batteries are 30 lbs. a piece as opposed to the AGMs at 68 lbs.each.
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited May 2022
    Thanks, our TaB was one of the last ones built before the dual covered batteries were being installed.  This location has more room than the new location being used now.  So we have more options.  I know lithiums are 1/2 the the weight, and there is room for three 100-AmpHr batteries and still be within the original 120 lbs weight.  The large single AGN we have is around 200 lbs, so a heavier footprint yet.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.