Adding additional solar

I have 2021 400 BDL with the 162 watt panel and victron mppt 75/15 controller. I would like to add a 100 watt potable to use when the main panel is partially in shade or cloudy days etc. I am concerned if both panels did receive full sun I believe the max voc would be safe at 58.55. The combined current be about 21.83 amps which exceeds the max controller output of 15. Will the extra current harm the controller or foes it just get spilled out somehow?

Comments

  • tinknocker
    tinknocker Member Posts: 22
    The Victron is current limiting and it will not be harmed. It only passes 15 amps and there is no spill out. It is pretty hard to have both panels fixed in a position to get 100% efficiency based on time of year, location and panel angle in reference to the sun.
  • pthomas745
    pthomas745 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,662
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • AnOldUR
    AnOldUR Member Posts: 1,757
    We bought a Renogy suitcase without a controller and added a second Victron controller in the storage box. The two controllers network together to optimize battery charging. Keeping the controller close to the battery helps limit voltage drop.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler
    60,865 camping miles through the end of 2025
  • Basil48192
    Basil48192 Member Posts: 437
    We did the same as 'AnOldUR'.  So far it has worked out really well.  The Victron controller is a bit pricey, but they work together perfectly, and I love being able to look at both controllers and my battery monitor with the same app on my phone.