Options

Stargazer Window Attachment Issue

We own a 2020 Tab 400 Boondock Lite.  When opening our stargazer window, it frequently comes detached from the top rail.  In order to reattach it, I'm outside the trailer and carefully realign the top of the window (plastic hook running along the window) in the railing while my wife inside the trailer closes the latches.  So far we've had no water leaks when getting it aligned right.  However, during our last camping trip, a 5-inch plastic piece (the hook part) broke off along the right top corner of the window.  Note this plastic hook had turned yellow, which appears to be discolored by sun damage, and became brittle.  We took the camper into the local NuCamp dealer and it appears the entire window needs to be replaced.  Of course, the trailer is out of warranty.  The dealer must order the replacement window and I'm waiting on an estimated cost for the replacement.  Does anybody else have any experience with this issue?  I'm interested in any thoughts or comments.  Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    I would take this to a dealer with a good repair dept., to have this looked at.  We have not had any issues with our 2018 TaB400 Stargazer window coming off at the top.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    AZGalAZGal Member Posts: 7
    My Stargazer window has popped out of the railing on top. Luckily I was able to push it up and it went back into place. The first time by a big wind but today I was opening it and it popped again. I have an appointment at dealer next month but I'm on the road until then. Out of state dealers are too busy to see me so I hope with help this pm I can get it back in.
  • Options
    Did you get yours fixed?
  • Options
    RayJimRayJim Member Posts: 129
    edited July 2022
    Yes, this has happened to me, I am on my third set of windows front and back all within the first year of ownership and covered by Newcamp warranty. It's the heat, when stored/parked with windows closed, over time they will warp. I cover the windows with a heat reflective material now when camping or stored, so they don't bow out and warp. Also don't close the shades leave them open when the windows are in direct sunlight during hot weather. Note make sure when you cut the material to cover the windows it is long enough overlap the hinge by a couple of inches.
    2021 T@B Boondock 400. 2021 Toyota SR5 V6
  • Options
    edited July 2022

• Options
    Thanks RayJim. Some good ideas. My 2021 is out of warranty and when not traveling I live in Arizona. Have to go back for a couple weeks. Hot there. I've been in forests of Idaho and Utah this month and it's hot here when sun on TAB. I have been having more luck keeping fridge fairly cool by opening all windows and fan on. I've been putting a light throw on sunny window. seems to help. the light straps you have are good idea - once on.
    In another post, someone said there is a screw that is suppose to hold in the channel. I have a 2021. Dont see a screw. When installing did you deal with a screw tightener?
  • Options
    Thats the screw that holds in the channel that the window slides on. You slide the window onto the channel then slide the channel onto the tab then screw it in to hold the window and channel in place.

• Options
    TAOSMACTAOSMAC Member Posts: 27
    I posted the following comment on June 27th responding to similar thread. 

“My rear window has failed at the upper connection point. The two black plastic clips popped off from the end of the aluminum connection rail and the hard plastic (at connection point) at the top of the window has broken off each side. I live in Central New Mexico so the heat/solar bake the rear window as well. I purchased my 2021 400 new and I’m in my second year of ownership. This issue is clearly a design/product flaw and should be taken care off by Nucamp. I will contract Nucamp and see if they have a fix or recall in the works.
    I will also cover my rear window with a solar shade taped to the outside.”

I haven't contacted T@B yet but plan to this week.
    2021 T@B 400BDL Solar, 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel Diesel
  • Options
    I contacted Nucamp and they put me in touch with the manufacturer of the window, no one is going to admit it is the heat causing the window to fall out of its railing. 
  • Options
    After I contacted Nucamp they decided to send me a replacement window. Even though I was over my warranty by approximately 15 months, they stepped up and replaced the window. Now I need to figure out how to install it. Does anyone have a recommendation as to whether I should try an install the replacement window myself or have the Nucamp dealer install it?
  • Options
    We had a nüCamp dealer install our replacement front window.  You might contact your local dealer to see of they will do the install for you.  
    Cheers 
  • Options
    Hey TAOSMAC - Was the metal railing part of the window replacement? Or just the window with the plastic that slides into the railing? When I talked to NuCamp they said to slide the window in from the side and then add the tabs at each end to hold in place.
    My TAB is at dealer in Mesa. Since window has popped out from top railing 3 times they said that it must be replaced. Nothing is visibly  broken, but I'm afraid to open it now. Cost $400. Install $295 with a 2 week wait to get in stock. I'm leaving town so it will have to wait.
    Good luck. Take pictures if you do it yourself. Let us know. Thanks.
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay. My replacement window included new aluminum parts. However, I used the original aluminum parts because both appeared to be in good condition. I was able to installed the stargazer window with the help of a friend. After removing the old window, we prep the new window by inserting the movable aluminum rail into the wraparound hooked plastic at the top of the window. We then positioned the window on the outside. (Note: the plastic stops at each end of the plastic wraparound hook are fixed. On my old window the plastic clips snapped off.)  I stood/knelt on the bed and held the window while my friend stood on a ladder and helped slide the window and aluminum part onto the fixed aluminum bracket. This method took a few tries but we were careful and eventually successful. After the window was in place, I reinstalled the set screw into the movable aluminum part. The set screw keeps the window/movable rail from sliding on the fixed aluminum bracket. I then attached the adjustable struts and made sure all other existing screws on the inside of the window frame were tight.
    Thanks to everyone who provided previous comments and photos. I also purchased the aluminum faced bubble wrap and will make an exterior shade. 
  • Options
    ncarbsncarbs Member Posts: 10
    How will you attach the exterior reflective shade?
  • Options
    Window cover
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    My front window fell off and broke the support rods, and have since ordered a replacement window - cost $499 with shipping.  No instructions on how to install it, and it came with a very strange plywood jig in the box.
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    I also just realized the replacement window sent to me has a completely different hinge design.

• Options
    It seems nüCamp redesigned the hinge on the Stargazer window for the current TaB400s.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    SimplysteveSimplysteve Member Posts: 15
    I just received the front window replacement, hinge is also supposed to be a new design.  I will post photos when I open the box.
  • Options
    85Redwood85Redwood Member Posts: 52
    Both my front and rear windows on my '21 400 are no longer attached to the top rails...this happened last summer but I just took it to the dealer yesterday.  The dealer showed me the new top pivot hinge design... it's now a metal-to-metal connection.  I'm not expecting a cheap fix.

A brief rant...it is absurd for a manufacturer to supply window blinds that when closed likely result in window damage in hot weather.🤬. My adult son stayed in my camper last summer for a week and loved the window darkening shades...perhaps windows warped as a result.

2021 T@B 400: boondock, 3-way fridge, microwave, solar
    2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7 L
  • Options
    RobynERobynE Member Posts: 31
    The rear window on my new 2022 400 became detached at only about the third opening of it.  Had it replaced with the new aluminum hinge. I asked Nucamp directly about the side and front windows with old design and what if they fail also for same reason after warranty expires. I was told the window manufacturer may cover replacements after the nucamp warranty has expired. I suggest contacting warranty@nucamprv.com to ask if they might still cover you and if not contact info for the window manufacturer. 
  • Options
    Thanks @RobynE.  The dealer doing the window fix will be checking with nucamp.... I'll post again when I hear more.
  • Options
    Nucamp warranty covered replacement of my front and rear widows on my 2021 Tab400 but I had to pay for the 5 hours of labor.  I am grateful for the warranty coverage and for a great dealer.
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    I am taking mine to the dealer in a couple of weeks. The front window was replaced after a neighbor kid's baseball did it's thing 4 days after we brought it home. Now the stargazer rail has failed. 
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    RickyRicky Member Posts: 24
    I spent hours in 98 degree temps reattaching my front window which somehow popped out of top rail. Feeling happy I checked my stargazer and it had jumped out also. Freaking out because rain was 30 min out I backed up my Jeep and stood on the tailgate. No good, you’d have to climb on top. I went inside the sauna and was able to reattach on the top rail by working from the inside on the bed. My 2022 Tab 400 and I think my windows are warped from the hot weather. Yep, outta warranty, damn, what’s next?
  • Options
    RobynERobynE Member Posts: 31
    Hi Ricky, I responded to your post on my wall.  You might still be able to get NuCamp to cover the window replacement. It's a known defect and they discontinued use of the defective windows mid production year on the 2022s. Mine warped and became unattached too. I was still under warranty though but still email Nucamp to ask if they still cover since it's a known defect. 
  • Options
    Thanks RobynE, my 400 was built in Feb 22 and I picked up in April. NuCamp has agreed to furnish the windows and I pay labor. I’m in the process of figuring who to do the work. Prob will take a while . Guess I’m happy
  • Options
    cost me $700 labor after NuCamp furnished windows. the fit and finish of new design is night and day different