Options

Breaking Norcold N751 plastic shelves

Has anyone had issues with their Norcold N751 blue shelves breaking at the mount points. I kept finding little bits of the shelf on the floor. Apon investigation it looks like it's due to the bouncing. 

My "test" solution was to use some epoxy to glue the parts back into place but also build up the support of the rather thin brittle support brackets.  Not pretty but even if I purchased new shelves I would likely have to bolster them up too.

Is it just me or is this a common issue?

AndreO
Ontario, Canada
2018 Tab 400
Ford F150 2.7 Lariat

Comments

• Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 346
    We have the NR740 in our 2018 320CS. Just like your refrigerator only smaller. Our door shelf broke in the same place. We have purchased two door shelves from Norcold and removed the wire shelf. We seem to fit more food by having short things in the door and tall stuff in the body of the fridge. It takes some of the weight off the door shelves too. I'm hoping this will make them last longer.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    AndreOAndreO Member Posts: 69
    Hi @Mickerly,
    Thanks for the feedback. I was bregining to think it was just me.
    I just added some epoxy build-up around the support areas then used outdoor Command strips to stop any bounce. I hope. I guess only time will tell.

AndreO
    Ontario, Canada
    2018 Tab 400
    Ford F150 2.7 Lariat
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    We have broken 2 shelves on our NR751, always the lower shelf. I suspect it is because my wife had things sticking out beyond the wire shelf. Unfortunately, I have extra shelves because I killed a refrigerator last year. 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    AndreOAndreO Member Posts: 69
    Hi @Dutch061,
    Mine happened to both. 
    I think the issue is in thier design.
    First they are a brittle type of plastic and fit loosely on thier supports.

These fridges were actually made for boats and likley most boats with fridges don't bounce as sharply as a trailer. Hence the non-reinforced supports.

Even if I got new shelves I'd probably reinforce them before putting them in. I'm thinking the Command strips may also help, if they hold, by preventing the jarring bounce. Similar to shooting a rifle. If you don't pull the stock into your shoulder the kick is more akin to a sharp punch than a soft push.

I'll wait a few trips to see how well my solution works then post my results.
    AndreO
    Ontario, Canada
    2018 Tab 400
    Ford F150 2.7 Lariat