Options

Spare tire question

CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
edited May 2022 in Camping & Travel
I recently had to remove the spare on my 2021 320S BD to get at the junction box behind the tire. When I went to put the spare back in place, I noticed that the fitting that goes through the hub seems about 1/8" too large. No matter how I try, the fitting is slightly askew and will not fit flush in the hub with both of its outer wings resting on the wheel, as you can hopefully see in the photo below.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I somehow not putting the fitting in the hub properly?
2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @CharlieRN, I do not have a spare mounted like yours, but was the exterior side of the wheel facing toward the ground when you initially removed it?  I am wondering if you may need to flip the wheel over and see if that makes any difference.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited May 2022
    Bayliss said:
    @CharlieRN, I do not have a spare mounted like yours, but was the exterior side of the wheel facing toward the ground when you initially removed it?  I am wondering if you may need to flip the wheel over and see if that makes any difference.
    EDIT - I spoke with my local T@B dealer about this. Apparently this is normal and how the 320 is shipped from nuCamp. I'm assured that even though the T-fitting will not seat flush in the hub of the spare, there is no safety issue as long as the tire is drawn up snuggly.
    Thanks for the thought @Bayliss. I did not notice how the spare was in there initially, but I did try it with the wheel in both positions. Same story either way, which is no surprise since the hub diameter is the same regardless of which side is up and there is no difference in the finishing of either side.
    The dealer actually pointed out during the walk through that the wheel and tire for the spare is different than the road wheels on my Boondock. The stock spare is a steel wheel that is narrower and has a smaller tire than the aluminum road wheels. I wonder if the spare carrier is sized for the aluminum wheel, and that's why things don't quite fit.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    jcook32937jcook32937 Member Posts: 7
    I was reading your post on the spare tire and was wondering if you can help me. I am trying to remove the tire for the same reason, to access the junction box. I can't figure out how to get the tire off. I assume I am supposed to unscrew the fitting. I have been beating on it for 1/2 hour and it barely moves.
  • Options
    jcook32937jcook32937 Member Posts: 7
    Never mind. I figured it out.