Options

Can you use the Fantastic Fan when its raining if you crank it up a little bit?

CCCCCC Member Posts: 116
Asking for a friend.
2022 T@B 320 S Boondock  "UGA", Jeep Gladiator Overland
North Georgia

Comments

• Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    I don't know if it's recommended, but I've done it. Opened the vent a bit and set the fan to exhaust on low speed.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 346
    You can use the Fantastic fan any time. Depending on the angle of the rain, you may need to keep it mostly closed. It has to be open some of the fan won't come on.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 144
    Ours will run for a few minutes or so then the rain sensor activates, it closes and we have to start over.  The bathroom fan works fine in the rain.
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    First thing I did was add a vent cover. Can be fully open in the rain with no leaks. You get stuck inside during a long storm and you'll be glad you have one.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    B11B11 Member Posts: 42
    @SLJ can you share which cover you added and your experience with installation? I'm considering adding a cover or replacing with the Maxx Air Maxxfan Deluxe 7500k. 
    2022 T@b 400bd
    2022 F-150
    Gratitude
  • Options
    The newer trailer do have a rain sensor that will close and turn off the fan if rain enters. Older trailers don't have a rain sensor.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    B11 said:
    @SLJ can you share which cover you added and your experience with installation? I'm considering adding a cover or replacing with the Maxx Air Maxxfan Deluxe 7500k. 
    I used this one. Just four bolts into the existing fan mount.  https://amzn.to/3LshYFZ
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    I had nuCamp install a Maxxair in the cabin in my 400 and move the FantasticFan to the bathroom. I love it, one of the best modifications I've done 
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited May 2022
    I think you were one of the last TaB400s modified by nüCamp, as they no longer offer this option, as the newer TaB 400s have a smaller round exhaust/vent fan in the washroom.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    I think you were one of the last TaBs modified by nüCamp, as they no longer offer this option, as the newer TaB’s have a smaller round exhaust/vent fan in the washroom.
     Cheers 
    The 320s don't have a bathroom fan. I had to install one in mine.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    For another approach, I added a speed control to the original bathroom fan. I prop the bathroom door open and run it on low speed. Water never comes in. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    hikerchickhikerchick Member Posts: 31
    I have a 2021 Tab400 does my vent have a rain sensor?
  • Options
    KimmieGuyKimmieGuy Member Posts: 27
    I use the fan 99% of the time, sun or rain. 
  • Options
    Hikerchick,  I can't tell if you have a rain sensor or not. The NuCamp manual for your 400 refers to the bag of owners manuals that came with your trailer rather than explainig what was installed. If you have a rain sensor, there will be a blue sticker that looks like a cartoon rain drop. You will also have a remote for the vent.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    edited July 2022
    @hikerchick - My 2021 400BD had a model 1450 Fantastic Fan which is different from the former model 1250 in that it does not have a rain sensor like the earlier models.  It also does not have a kill switch which shuts the fan down when the lid closes.  Dometic claims that the 1450 can be operated at full speed with the lid closed while the earlier models (1250) are not designed to do so.  Of course that moves air but does not provide any ventilation.

I replaced my Fantastic Fan 1450 with a MaxxFan Deluxe primarily because it can be fully open and operating in the rain (it is also quieter, more energy efficient, and better all around quality).  It seems to me that being able to have ventilation in the rain is a very important feature.  
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    You can add an external hood over the Fantastic Fan, which ours has, and you can open to max, and use the fan in the rain, unless it is a driving hurricane force wind doing at you from the rear…  :#
    cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    We have the MaxxAir cover and leave ours open year round, come snow, rain or sunshine.

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    Denny16 said:
    You can add an external hood over the Fantastic Fan, which ours has, and you can open to max, and use the fan in the rain, unless it is a driving hurricane force wind doing at you from the rear…  :#
    cheers 
    It looks like hoods such as the Camco 21015 require drilling through the roof into the cabin interior for its attachment bolts. Is this the case? 
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    The Camco 40421 attaches directly to the side of the existing fan unit - not to the roof.  I have a brand new / never installed one in white which I will provide for free - just the cost of shipping.  I bought it and then decided to replace my Fantastic Fan with a MaxxAir.  The 40421 is 1.25 inches lower than either of the Fantastic Fan or MaxxAir hoods.  This model can be opened to provide access to the fan from the roof if ever needed without removing it.
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    OkpeteOkpete Member Posts: 15
    Mickerly said:I have a late 2022 320. No rain sensor !
    The newer trailer do have a rain sensor that will close and turn off the fan if rain enters. Older trailers don't have a rain sensor.

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,499
    CharlieRN said:
    Denny16 said:
    cheers 
    It looks like hoods such as the Camco 21015 require drilling through the roof into the cabin interior for its attachment bolts. Is this the case? 
    I installed the Camco Aero-flo myself. I didn't have to drill through the roof. You attach brackets to the side of the existing vent and then the cover attaches to the bracket. It's one of the best improvements that I made to my trailer. I also installed the variable speed motor hack described in this thread.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    We generally keep the fan lid open only a bit more than the shut off switch allows the motor to turn ON for cabin venting when cooking or it's very hot and on city power (rare). We've owned the 320 for over 2 years and never had a rain entry problem. Though it's very rare for us to be in a driving rain. Otherwise we get a lot of rain in the Pacific NW. What are the conditions users have found water entry that lowering to this point would not solve? Note we also modified the speed switch with the variable speed mod - THAT was one of the best and easiest changes on the trailer. I'm wondering if those in very hot situations where max airflow is important and dislike moving the cover from full open to minimally open? We've not been there yet.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network