Options

Shore power cord details

1. Would someone please tell me the length and wire gauge size of the 30A shore power cord that NuCamp provides with the Tab 400? (I've been assuming that it is 25ft and 10AWG?)

We are picking up our new trailer in a few days and have a camp site booked for 2 days later. We had already bought a 30A 25ft 10AWG extension cord, assuming that would be long enough for any situation. But we just  found out from the campground that for our booked site the MINIMUM distance from trailer to power post will be 65ft! (sounds far!) So we will return the current extension cord and instead get a 30A 50ft 10AWG extension cord. It looks to me like the 75ft total combined original cord (if) 30A 25ft 10AWG plus extension cord 30A 50ft 10AWG is the longest you can go (assuming worst conditions, for safety). 

From an online wire size calculator...
If I enter:
o starting power post outlet voltage 114VAC (120V with maximum allowed 5% drop delivered at outlet, according to building code?)
o and 30A load over 75ft
Then the calculator results show that you need 10AWG wire to get 108.3V at the trailer (and I believe 108V (120V -10%) is the minimum acceptable for motorized or air conditioner devices?) It looks to me like to go any further than total 75ft, you would have to instead use multiple (25+50ft) 50A 8AWG extension cords along with 30A adapters...and THAT does not seem worth the trouble.
2. If anyone is similarly interested and has more knowledge could you please give me a sanity check of the above assumptions and results?

3. When using an exterior EMS device AND an extension cord (especially a long one), wouldn't it make most sense to place the EMS not on the power post, but instead in-line between the NuCamp power cord and the extension cord---so that the EMS also sees the extension cord voltage drop? Further, I guess it would be even better to instead use an interior EMS so that then it would additionally see the voltage drop of even the NuCamp power cord. (However, I haven't been able to convince my better half to go for a humming/buzzing EMS inside the trailer)

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited May 2022
    You need to size any extension cord to keep voltage drop in the extension cord form occurring.  I would go with a minimum of AWG 8 for 25.  But the issue here is how long a run is the 125 30Amp outlet from its source, and the EMA at the source outlet (pedestal) checks the source voltage available to start with.  This would be a situation that is somewhat variable from one situation to the next.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    We installed our Progressive Industries EMS inside. In the 320 it would be inside under the seat where the cord comes in. We haven't noticed any humming or other sounds from the EMS. Maybe the cooling fan on the power converter is too loud to notice.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"