Options

2022 400 Fabric Shower Curtain Isn't Waterproof

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
edited June 2022 in Camping & Travel
The shower curtain in my 2022 400 is just fabric and water just soaks right through it.  The bathroom door gets wet and water runs down and out on the floor. What's the point in giving us a fabric shower curtain? Better than nothing.  

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited August 2022
    After it drys, spray it with 3M waterproofing coating, that should improve things. 
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Yea it occurred to me that it has no liner. I wonder if they forgot to give that piece to me. I assumed it was like the liner in my 2019 400 which was kind of plastic. 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,003
    Something is wrong with that.  We have a 2021 400 and the shower curtain is totally waterproof.  We joke that the 400's bathroom is the driest wet-bath we've ever been in.  The walls and everything in the storage cubbies stays completely dry.  Either you got the wrong curtain or they changed the type of curtain.  And if it's the latter then it sounds like it does not work at all.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    @bergger same with the shower curtain in our 2018 T@B 400. The bathroom walls stay completely dry behind it. We store all our towels in the storage areas above the sink, and none of them ever get wet. They must've changed something! 
  • Options
    I just heard back from NuCamp and the warranty person sent me a pic of the shower curtain shipping now and its definitely different from mine. I asked if they could ship me one under warranty, so hopefully I won't have to go to the dealer for this. I will keep you posted. 
  • Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 152
    @TabbyShack
    Can you put the pic from NuCamp up here? I have a 2022 400 built last Nov, we are taking it next week on first trip and haven't opened up the shower curtain package yet. How can you tell the difference between the two?
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    This is my curtain below. The pic nucamp sent doesn't have a pattern/texture like mine. Their pictures isn't very good and you really have to zoom in to see it in detail. I don't think an already bad photo is going to be clear after posting here.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    I guess I'm okay, mine has a different weave.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • Options
    Ah yes! That looks like the one Nucamp sent me. 
  • Options
    Even my wrong one can be used at least until I can get the right one but I just have to wipe the bathroom door down and any dripped water on the floor. It still diverts water down mostly but obviously not ok long term 
  • Options
    Here is the response below I got from NuCamp. I followed up this reply asking if maybe the wrong curtain is unknowingly being given.  I also attached pic of my bathroom door after I shower.

Robyn, 

I went out to the one we have here again and ours are cloth too. They are not water proof, they are going to get wet. 

Thank you,
    Megan

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @TabbyShack and @subkron - check the labels, please.  What is the fabric content?  Usually fabric shower curtains are polyester and are considered to be water repellent as opposed to waterproof.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM There is no information on the label that you normally would find, i.e. material content and/or use and care.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • Options
    The only label I found on quick look (my eyes were on fire inside super heated up (96 degree day) new camper from the VOCs!!!) was the Gary and USA labels. I can look more this coming weekend when I'm able to air it out but looks like subkron already checked. 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,003
    @TabbyShack if you have no luck with NuCamp here is a link for a 180" wide shower curtain that you could trim down to the 129" NuCamp curtain.  It's made extra wide for a clawfoot tub enclosure.

https://www.vintagetub.com/randolph-morris-180-x-70-shower-curtain-rmnh950-s.html
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Thanks I was just out there looking at mine and feeling annoyed! Haha. 
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited June 2022
    I just picked up a new shower curtain from nuCamp for my 2021 T@B 400 and it is exactly the same as the one provided when we purchased the camper two years ago. It does not look like what @TabbyShack has...
    I will say it is water repellent, not water proof. If you have the airflow in your camper so that it is pushing the curtain against the door, the door will get wet. I've learned that you need to be aware of this and adjust your fans so the curtain is either being pushed in (which I don't like because it will stick to you as well) or hanging down neutrally, and not pushed against the door.

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Wow so maybe I can get them to send me the one for a 2021. Yours looks like the one I had in my 2019 and it was water proof. It seems to me they switched curtains in 2022 and didn't realize it wasn't water proof. I said this to Megan at NuCamp but she seemed to just kind of say oh well this is what we use now. I'm going to email her again now that I see they are still sending out the old style and if I can get one like yours. 

Thanks so much for posting Chrisfix this is very informative! 
  • Options
    JDRotzJDRotz Member Posts: 6
    @ChrisFix, my 2021 T@B 400 had the same curtain you describe, water repellent only. I never have the bathroom vent fan on while showing, since, as you mention, it will suck the curtain in and it'll stick to you. First noticed the problem after getting a new Oxygenics shower head (per recommendations from this forum)  If I'm not careful and the more powerful jet hits the curtain directly, it plasters it to the wall and then the wall gets wet.  First time it happened, the curtain stuck to the door and water formed a puddle outside the shower under the door.  As an aside, I'm not a big fan of the Oxygenics head - shutting off the flow at the head doesn't really shut it off, it still trickles cold water, then when you turn it back on it takes a while for the mixer to rebalance the temperature.  I've ended up going back to turning the main control off and on, so while the new head does have better 'pressure', for me I don't think it's been worth the money.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    @JDRotz
    Have you tried this valve to shut the water off (while leaving the temperature control set as you like)? I find this works very well, and also provides a shutoff when not using the shower to prevent those accidental dousings when you bump into the shower valve. 
    And I've also experienced the puddle outside the door if the curtain gets stuck to it...but no issues at all if it isn't stuck to it.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XQJN6F8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    So chrisfix it sounds like maybe you're curtain isn't  water proof either then? The one in my 2019 400 never soaked through or stuck to the door but if you are having it stick to your door then it sounds like the exact same problem im having. I should cancel my request to Nucamp for a 2021 shower curtain then I guess. 
  • Options
    So chrisfix it sounds like maybe you're curtain isn't  water proof either then? The one in my 2019 400 never soaked through or stuck to the door but if you are having it stick to your door then it sounds like the exact same problem im having. I should cancel my request to Nucamp for a 2021 shower curtain then I guess. 
    I'd say it's water repellent...not water proof. If, for example you have the fantastic fan blowing out (exhaust direction) it will pull the curtain to the door...and that will cause it to leak through. As long as it isn't clinging to a surface, no water seems to get through, but if it is clinging, then water seems to wick straight through.
    I think the fabric is a compromise for it's flexibility and compactness when stowed, as compared to a true water proof plastic curtain.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I hate to keep harping on the shower curtain but am I expecting too much to not have a wet door and water on the floor outside the shower?  The water runs down the door drips down across the horizontal cut outs below the shower pan and puddles on the floor. Sure could just put paper towels there and wipe the door after every shower...I mean I always wipe the shower pan dry anyway after every shower but it still just bugs me. I can't help but wonder if nucamp just didn't realize this curtain isnt water resistant. The one in my 2019 400 was fine.  Never had this issue. 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @TabbyShack - we have a polyester shower curtain liner and a decorative cloth curtain on the outside.  Recently we find water on the floor if the cloth curtain has sustained contact with the polyester liner.  Water wicks into the cloth and runs down to the floor.  I think I would just apply a water repellent spray and go from there.  You will probably need to retreat at intervals.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    aphillipsaphillips Member Posts: 27
    ChrisFix said:
    I just picked up a new shower curtain from nuCamp for my 2021 T@B 400 and it is exactly the same as the one provided when we purchased the camper two years ago. It does not look like what @TabbyShack has...
    I will say it is water repellent, not water proof. If you have the airflow in your camper so that it is pushing the curtain against the door, the door will get wet. I've learned that you need to be aware of this and adjust your fans so the curtain is either being pushed in (which I don't like because it will stick to you as well) or hanging down neutrally, and not pushed against the door.

We have a 2022 400 BD and have this same curtain. It does a great job of keeping the wood and door dry.

We just returned from a 10 day trip and I took the curtain off to wash it in my washing machine. Unfortunately, every single grommet came out during that process. I found them all in the washing machine, but can't figure out to put them back on so that they will stay. I might have to get a rubber washer to put on the back side or something. Has anyone else had this issue and can someone post a photo of what the back side looks like? Thanks! 
    2022 Tab 400 Boondock