Options

Small storage bins/shelves

vitovito Member Posts: 181
With the very limited storage capability of the T@b itself, possibly augmented with some Command hooks on the walls, I was hoping to find some small cubbies, shelves or bins that would attach to open wall spaces or hang under cabinets (over the kitchen area) in my S-Maxx. I'm hesitant to drill holes in the walls but am hoping for something like the Command hooks that would affix to the walls or bottom of the cabinets that could later, if need be, be removed without damage to the camper. I checked the Little Guy store and didn't see anything useful. Any suggestions? 
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

To help you, let me tell you what the construction of the wall is.  I kept the piece Austin cut out for my new outside electrical outlet. 

The outside is 1/8" fiberglass laminated to 1/8" plywood, then 1" or 1.25" of closed cell white Styrofoam (very, very dense), and then about 1/4" laminate on the inside.  I'd say it wouldn't be good to even try to get a screw to stay in the 1/4" laminate.  I was traveling back to Indy from Tearstock and I hit so many bumps that there was a lot of "stuff" that ended up on the floor.

My sister suggested a net in front of the storage shelf at the rear of the T@B S M@X to help keep the things on the shelf.  You could attach it to the birch wood shelf and to the bottom of the rear cabinets--at least that is what I'm thinking of right now and I'm not in the T@B. I was thinking of a bar going across in front of the shelf, but you wouldn't want to put a lot of outward pressure on the walls. 

I am going to try to attach a plaque to the wall using industrial Velcro to hang it, and possibly using a command strip hanger(s) under it to help support it.  It would be taken down whenever the T@B moves.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Verna - Are you talking about the rear shelf that encloses the Alde radiator - if so, there's a couple threads from last fall where I put a rail across the front to keyed things in place and someone else (Jenn?) put cargo type netting.
  • Options
    Yes, I need to read up on those details.  I have been concerned with the fridge (new vent fan installed at Tearstock), water pump (replaced at Tearstock), Alde (very impressive array of piping), and size of fresh, gray and black water tanks. Now for some mods.  I like the idea of a railing.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Verna - I used std. bathroom towel bars mounted vertically - took three, two short, one long in the center. Think it was 2-24" & 1-27" or whatever the standard bars are at Home Depot.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I put some little Ikea bins back there. I think that it could end up being a pantry of, sorts, since I really only have one cupboard food with the water tank in the second cupboard below the sink.

I put the mesh net across the back floor, but I don't know that it is working. First, the little anchors are not flush, so the futon bed will not lay completely flat. Second, I think the sleeping bag is too heavy for the net and pulls it loose. It might work as described, above, but I am not sure it is necessary. Will ruminate a bit more on it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jennifer, it looks like my sleeping bag in the compression bag will fit behind the Alde that has a plywood wall separating it from the Storage space.

I can fit 4 cloth covered cubes (12x12x12) easily under the door side of the bed, and can probably squeeze in one more. It's nice to have everything organized, but I need to make a list of stuff in the cubes. I had an extra pair of shoes in there also that I wedged into a spot, which worked well.

I can also put a plastic box of fuses, electrical tools and other tools in the space next to the converter. Those will need to be secured so it doesn't move.  Austin didn't seem to like that idea, but as long as it doesn't interfere with the wiring and is secured, it won't damage anything. 

This fun stuff will need to wait--new computer is copying files from the old. Long drawn out process. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    For the fuses...I just put some strong velcro to hold the box in the electrical space.  The small plastic box doesn't move, has a lid and is where I need it if I have a fuse issue...
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Verna said:
    Jennifer, it looks like my sleeping bag in the compression bag will fit behind the Alde that has a plywood wall separating it from the Storage space.

I can fit 4 cloth covered cubes (12x12x12) easily under the door side of the bed, and can probably squeeze in one more. It's nice to have everything organized, but I need to make a list of stuff in the cubes. I had an extra pair of shoes in there also that I wedged into a spot, which worked well.

I can also put a plastic box of fuses, electrical tools and other tools in the space next to the converter. Those will need to be secured so it doesn't move.  Austin didn't seem to like that idea, but as long as it doesn't interfere with the wiring and is secured, it won't damage anything. 

This fun stuff will need to wait--new computer is copying files from the old. Long drawn out process. 
    I actually leave mine out of the compression sack since it has the sleeping pad inside of it. It fits fine, I was just looking for a way to keep it from sliding too far back. How do you reach way behind the Alde?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I pulled the back of the sofa forward and the space is down there. I won't need it until December, but I want it to have a permanent spot in the T@B storage. I can't remember if I could see the area with just the cushion pulled out.  My pictures don't show if I could see that area when I had my mattress out, and the cushion out.
    Verna, Columbus, IN