Options

Campgrounds

hikerchickhikerchick Member Posts: 31
Anyone camped in mountains in Ga? We are looking for hiking and maybe bike paths or greenways. Maybe Dahlonega area

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Search State Parks in GA, there may be one nearby. I use RV Trip Wizard, it helps me find campgrounds and attractions I may otherwise miss. It is far from perfect, but it is a great starting point for places we have never been. I believe it is worth the $50.00 per year, there is a 7 day free trial.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    hikerchickhikerchick Member Posts: 31
    Thanks I’ll check it out.
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    @hikerchick, that area is my old stomping ground, literally.  I've done a lot of hiking/backpacking in the N GA mountains.  
    Firstly, one of the top campgrounds in GA is Vogel State Park.  It is truly awesome!  The wife and I stay in one of their old Civilian Conservation Corps cabins for Valentines Day every year and we've pulled our T@b there a couple of times since we bought it.  It's a very busy campground so get online asap to book it if you think you might want to go there, weekends will be packed in the summer but you might get a spot during the week.
    From Vogel it's about a 30 minute drive to Dahlonega.  Check out the Dahlonega Wine Trail if you're into vino.  That area has a special climate that allows growing European grapes and some of the wineries make some pretty good stuff.
    The Appalachian Trail crosses Hwy 19 about 5 minutes south of Vogel at the Mountain Crossing outdoor store.  The AT runs right through their property.  Google "Walasi-yi Interpretive Center" and you can read all about the old stone facility.  If you hike south on the AT from there you can actually hike back into Vogel State Park, check at the park office for maps and such.  
    I'll stop for now, but I could go on.  
    Happy Trails!
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4