Options

Time For a Model 400 Electrical WIRING Diagram = = Need Forum Input = =

MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
Background:
    Every few months someone asks for a 400 Wiring Diagram to help troubleshoot an electrical issue.  Yet, while the Model 400 has been available since 2018 no single owner/forum member has created a useful Wiring Diagram.   Of course the 400 is very similar to the 320S which has excellent owner created documents for the 2016'ish model-years.  Those diagrams are indeed helpful for troubleshooting newer 320's and model 400 issues . . . a TaB is a TaB  after-all . . . 

Task:
   Since no 400 owner has had the time/skills/tools to create a full Wiring Diagram
 - - - is it time for a Forum Group Effort to create a Wiring Diagram ? ? ? - - -

I've started a basic Wiring Diagram.
Input from 400 owners on whats what electrical circuit wise would be helpful to complete a usable Wiring Diagram for everyone.

Your Inputs Are Needed.

Pictures of the circuit labels nüCamp installed on the Power Center Door.

Your own data from tracing out which outlets/etc are connected to which circuit breaker or fuse.

{{ edit 060522 removed ver00 diagram, see next post 06-05-22 for ver 0.1 }}
As a 320S owner why do I care?
  1st  I like helping folks isolate/troubleshoot electrical problems and a more complete Wiring
      Diagram would be helpful in both finding & communicating the problem source.
  2nd  While I'm super happy with my 320S, I keep daydreaming of something different/newer
      and a model 400 is on the possible list . . .
The 320S Wiring Diagram created by Rick Parco is excellent and the milestone to match for any other TaB model documentation.  That said, I do not have access to an as powerful Electrical Wiring Harness CAD program as he used.
So the attached file is a bit basic/crude . . . .

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2022
    06-05-2022 have revised / updated the Wiring Diagram
    based on Forum issue information and review of a detailed 2022 model 400 walk-through.

It would be very helpful to have model 400 owners;
    photograph the nüCamp labels on the Power Center regarding AC Circuit Breaker and DC Fuse assignments.

Please include your model year, info on Fridge type, solar panels installed or not.

Updated ver01 diagram attached (picture file).
    06-07-22 newer version posted below
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    06-07-22 have revised the wiring diagram to draft ver 0.2 (pdf file attached)
    removed 06-13-22 ver 0.3 in a different post/comment below

By searching forum posts, watching different youtube reviews/mods, and with three helpful folks getting me Power Center pictures the Diagram Content has really improved. ( will work on style later )

More 400 Owner information is needed:
      -  As there are some points that are not clear.
           These could just be model-year adjustments or incorrect data provided by one source or another
      -  yr-2018 & yr-2019 seem to fall into product configuration learning period.
          Starting with yr-2020 the electrical distribution seems more stable with minor differences
          noted so far with the yr-2022.
      -  The changes from CoolCat, to AIR8, back to CoolCat (with axle move for tongue reduction) &
           Is it three different Fridge types - - - adds a bit of confusion.

The diagram focus is "typical" wiring diagram based on the 2020-2022 years.
    For any owners in that year range that have Traced Out / Confirmed the nüCamp 120VAC and 12VDC
    Power Center labels vs. actually what is powered and are open to sharing please do . . .
    P.S.   After watching a few hours of videos and looking at the 400 evolution I'm impressed (again) with nüCamp's product refinement and build quality.  If I really do decide a larger travel trailer is what I need the model 400 has gone up a notch or two on the possible wish-list.
        {{ that does not change my disappointment in many of the recent model-year
        'enhancements' made to the 320 - - - I would not buy a 2022 320 . . . the 2018 I have is near
       perfect and the recent 'enhancements' have made the 320 less perfect (imho).
       But that's way off topic
    :| }}
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited June 2022
    The 2018/2019 and 2020 TaB400s standard fridge is a 12VDC/120AC fridge, so it has a 120VAC outlet directly wired to the Waco AC circuit breakers.  In 2019 forward there was a larger 3-way option, moved into the wardrobe locker, with both 12VDC and 120VAC wiring pulled to it.  The USB outlets are all powered from the DC buss.

The Inverter on the 2018/2019 is on,y wired to a single outlet under the TV bunk end panel.  

On the 2018-2019 TaB400s, the CoolCat AC, 2-way (AC/DC) fridge, and Alde all are on their own AC circuit breakers.  The Driver’s side AC outlets are on one circuit breaker, whilst the Passenger side are on their own breaker.  I am assuming the AC wiring goes from the breaker to the Rear bunk cubby, washroom, and forward dinette area (not confirmed, but breakers are labeled this way) and the Galley and outside AC GFI are on a separate circuit breaker.  I assume the 2020 with the one change from CoolCat to Air8 is wired in a similar manner.
     Cheers 

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Well think I've gone as far as possible without having a 2022 400 to actually investigate.
    If/when any 2022 400 owners share their Circuit Tracing experience/knowledge a future update could be possible.

Hopefully the ver 0.3 Draft document attached will help someone during their troubleshooting of an issue or project planning - - - not as an official Your Trailer is Like This - - - but more as an educational aid providing things to consider while working on your specific trailer.

Time for a new rainy week project.

• Options
    Looks like a good start, and as complete as we can get it right now.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    hustoncshustoncs Member Posts: 18
    @MuttonChops Wow! Great work I have a 2022 Tab 400 and I will poke around and post my findings here Cheers
    2001 Toyota Sequoia || 2022 Tab 400 Boondock
  • Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 149
    @MuttonChops
    On page 2 you have the extra solar port going to the controller, in actuality it goes to the distribution block.  The integrated solar panel goes to the (single channel) solar controller.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
  • Options
    That is how my 2018 TaB400 is wired, SAE external solar input plug goes directly to the battery connection, not the solar controller, which is a Victron 75/10 and is only rated for 200-watts of solar input (which roof panels supply).
     Cheers 
  • Options
    @subkron & @Denny16 ;
    Thanks for the input.

Attached PDF file has the Solar Wiring changes.
    Note the updated sheet also moved the Current Shunt position,
    - - - do things look correct now?

I've included a new 4th sheet with a Ground System Overview.

P.S.  I'll wait for more comments before issuing an all-pages-update.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    @MuttonChops, a couple of corrections I see right off:  
     1. The Inverter is wired directly to the battery terminals, not the junction box, and has its own large cartridge fuse in line between inverter and battery.  
     2. The Power converter positive 12VDC buss connection is connected to the 12VDC at the battery switch, on load side, not the front 7-pin junction box, I believe, will verify this.  
     3. The Inverter has power control panel connected to it.

• Options
    Denny16 said:
     1. The Inverter is wired directly to the battery terminals, not the junction box, and has its own large cartridge fuse in line between inverter and battery.  
    I am assuming your comment is based on yr-2018 400.
    The 2019 & 2020 builds seem to be as shown on the Draft Wiring Diagram.

Here are the 'source pictures' I used to make the diagram:

2019 Tab 400
    Denny16 said:
     2. The Power converter positive 12VDC buss connection is connected to the 12VDC at the battery switch, on load side, not the front 7-pin junction box, I believe, will verify this. 
    Please do verify.  If as you state the Cut-Off Switch than has two wires on the Load Side.
      -  one to the junction box
      -  one to the Power Center (convertor)

That would be a different wiring approach than used on the 320 models
    Denny16 said:
     3. The Inverter has power control panel connected to it.
    What is "power control panel" . . . . the on/off Remote Switch hidden near the bed ?
    Do you have a picture

• Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 149
    You have indicated that this is the typical wiring 2020-2022, but you are showing the victron shunt. Was that standard wiring from the factory? For mine I added it and I'm sure a lot of people do. It may be best to either show details of popular modifications on separate sheets or somehow denote the items (like with a ** reference and notation) as they are drawn. For anyone new they will be looking for something that may not be there. 
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    @MuttonChops, you are right, I was going by a photo of a modified 2020 Battery/Inverter setup.  Factory install on trailers with the battery in the middle back area under the bunk, also have the Inverter connected to black battery junction box.  Your photo was of a late 2018/2019 TaB400 with the battery in the outside locker area.  Here is the 2021-2022 setup:

The inverter wires are going through the plywood divider to the black battery distribution/junction Box, which is mounted on the other side where the battery cables go through wire glands to make the battery box sealed.  This one was modified by the owner to install the Victron Shunt, adding the black negative cable to the shunt behind the inverter, instead of to the junction box.  Battery box is vented with the large hole next to the battery cable penetration point, and is sealed from rest of the TaB interior as required by RIVA.
    Cheers 
  • Options
    Here is the AIMS Inverter control panel, on the 2021/2022 (and 2020 I believe) this panel is in the rear bunk cubby compartment on the bunk side of the wardrobe/fridge compartment:

It is connected to the Inverter via a gray phone line type cable.  This turns the Inverter off and on.  Best to leave it off when not using it.
     Cheers