Options

Batteries fully charged but have no power

When I went to get my 2016 Tab 320 from storage, I turned on the battery switch but got no power. Thinking that I had a dead battery, I brought the batteries home (I use two 6V golf-cart batteries) charged them for 2 days each, tested them with my voltmeter (got 6.44v each) put them back in the trailer, and still got no power. The voltmeter shows 12.8 volts at the battery switch when on, and zero when off. I want to guess it’s a fuse, but I briefly did get power after the same thing happened 3 months ago. Could this be a short circuit? Corrosion? How can I problem solve?

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited June 2022
    @anaugle, based on your description, it most likely is a fuse, so double check those.

Pull the 30A fuse that is connected inline on the positive wire (the wire is usually  black, but could be red) at your battery connection.  Also, check the 30A (battery) and 40A (reversed polarity) fuses at the WFCO power center/converter inside the trailer.  I am not specifically familiar with the 2016 320 S, but the power center should be below the driver's side bench seat (brown box - - - the front door drops down.)  Those two fuses are likely the bottom two of the vertical row of fuses.

Also, make sure that you have not accidentally reversed the wiring at the battery.  The white (ground) wire will connect to the negative post of the battery.  I am assuming that your disconnect switch says "On" when power is being delivered to the trailer, but just as another troubleshooting step, turn the disconnect switch in the opposite direction to be sure it is not miswired.

If that does not work, then there could be other issues, such as a loose ground or a broken wire, but that takes a bit more troubleshooting.  Let us know if the above information resolves the issue.

QUESTION:  Were the batteries connected during the winter months?  If so, was the disconnect switch set to "off?"  Sounds like it, but just checking.  How old are the batteries?
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,604
    Suggest you first check the two lowest position Fuses at the Power Center Fuse Panel;  30A is battery,  40A is a protection fuse.

Have Battery Switch in Off position and Shore Power Off.
    Remove fuse and check with your multi-meter for continuity.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+