Options

Battery Upgrade

I have an early 2019 400BDL and I'm changing out the batteries from the factory AGM to Lithium (going with Lion Energy).  Couple of questions:

The instructions from Lion suggest that the batteries should be in an unvented space, to keep them warm in colder climates.  The batteries are under the bed, in a vented plastic pan with cover.  Since I'm moving to Lithium, and don't expect to move back, is there any reason that I shouldn't plug the vent?

Everything is disconnected at the moment, and I'm checking and tagging all of the cables going to/from the batteries.  I had cardboard over the solar panels, but pulled it off today to verify what I thought were the leads coming from the Zamp solar controller.  It's a bit overcast, but there should still be enough sun to generate some juice.  However, I'm not getting any reading with my multi-meter on the cables that I think are coming from the solar system.  Or on any other pair of cables, for that matter.  Shouldn't something be showing current?

Finally, the new batteries are smaller than the original AGMs. I can get the straps tightened down, but I'm still concerned they will rattle around some.  Any reason why I shouldn't put some foamboard (or the packing from the box) around them to cushion them?

Thanks!

-Tres
2019 Tab 400 Boondock Lite
2017 Dodge Durango AWD with Tow Package IV
A can of Skyline Chili in the pantry

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 456
    edited June 2022
    - You can plug the vent but I don't think it's gonna make a big difference.

- The solar controller won't ramp up charging if it doesn't detect a battery. On my simple portable panel controller the "fault" LED comes on when it is not connected. 

- Foamboard should work fine. Packing material might detoriate, especially if it's made biodegradable. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited June 2022
    You can discard the plastic cover, and seal,the vent, if you like, I would as it is a source of dust into the trailer.  The 2018 TaB400 didn’t have the vent or cover, and my AGM batteries are fine.  

You want to keep the batteries in the original location, as the sub h trailer follow) and the false floor are supported with additional 2x4 blocking to transfer the weight properly.   I would just ad some 1x1 blocking around the smaller battery setup, to prevent the batteries from shifting.  The foam cord will occupy some  of the extra space, but can compress is a quick shift,  

You can add a strap of you like, the plywood bed support is going to cover this area, and keep the batteries safe, and warm, especially when the Alde is running in cold weather.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.