Options

Where are ground connections made?

I'm planning on adding some 12V receptacles to go back to an unused fused location on the WFCO convertor. Where are the DC ground connections made in a 2022 400 DB?  I know they do not all homerun back to the main distribution block (where the invertor/battery/etc. cables meet). Is there some other ground terminal/distribution block hidden somewhere or is everything just spliced together as needed?
2022 T@B 400 Boondock
2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
South Jersey

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited June 2022
    The ground bus bar (aluminum silver colored bar) is where all the DC grounds terminate Bach behind or next to the converter on the wall.  On a 2022 TaB400 this may be a challenge to get access to.  Most of DC runs are duplex wire runs, one to the fuse box and the negative to the ground buss bar.  Boats are wired the same way.  You could run a larger (8AWG) ground/negative) wire to a second ground buss located back where you want to add the 12VDC circuits.  Larger RVs and Boats do this.  The only larger ground only wire pull is the one to the Alde, in the TaB400.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    Can't say for the 400's.
    On 320's there is a Ground Bus Bar on the floor behind the WFCO Power Center, suggest you look there.

Please Share what you find; picture(?), location(s)

320 Reference
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited June 2022
    On my 2021 T@B 400 BD it is behind the WFCO panel:

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    That is what the ground buss bar looks like, unfortunately on the later TaB400s, this is behind the galley cabinets, where the WaCo is located.  You may need to pull the drawer above the power converter out to get to the buss bar as shown above by Chris.

That said, this is a residential power center ground/neutral buss type bar.  It uses set screws to hold the wire in the hole below, and is designed to hold solid wire, not stranded AWG, in a circuit breaker box, that is stationary.  

Using this type of buss for stranded (non tinned) wire in a application like an RV that shakes, rattles and rolls down the road, will result in the screws working loose and the wires coming out.  I feel nüCamp should have used marine type wiring busses, that are more secure, and designed for stranded wire, using terminal lugs.  Even if the screw loosens, the connection is maintained (somewhat).

This is what nüCamp TaB wiring should look like, an is what I am converting our TaB400 with, in place of the residential buss bar.  Notice the wires are all connected to lugs with shrink wrap (probably soldered on).  This keeps the wiring where it belongs and will not likely come loose, especially if Locktite is used.  Wires are bundled together and secured in place.
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.