Options

Spare Tire Mounting Location?

I thought I saw a thread about mounting the spare tire on a T@b but can't seem to find anything. My apologies if this topic has been covered elsewhere. I understand that there is a designated place to mount the spare on a T@b. Apparently it doesn't come mounted though. When we picked up our slightly used trailer, the seller said he didn't want to mount it underneath as, in the event there was a flat, it would be difficult to retrieve it from underneath the trailer. Right now, ours isn't mounted anywhere. For anyone willing to share, we would be interested to know where your spare is mounted (or not) and why? If mounted underneath in it's designated location, have you encountered any issues having it there? Thanks so much!
Elaine ~ 2013 T@b U, aka Lei-la. TV 2010 GMC Terrain

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited May 2014
    Here is the discussion you were probably remembering.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    geromogeromo Member Posts: 33
    I mounted mine on the tongue near the battery box. Much easier location when you need it with very little extra weignt addition. Bought the mounting bracket from etrailer.com. Under the trailer is tough to get to and reduces the clearance  a lot.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited May 2014
    I've pulled mine out from under the trailer but have not remounted it anywhere yet.  The tire would scrap the bottom of my driveway when pulling out or backing in.

I plan to mount it on the tongue, but have to do some experimenting so that it won't interfere with the bikes when I am carrying them.  I am currently storing it under the back bench inside, which is where it is stored when it is shipped to the dealer.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    BryanRBryanR Member Posts: 32
    Nathan - Here is a picture of my tire mounted on the tongue. I used a Fulton heavy duty mount that gave some additional rise and offset.
    Bryan & Vicki 2014 T@B CS-S MaXX ** 2016 Chevy Silverado Double Cab
    Transplanted Hoosier in Richmond, VA
    Go Colts!

• Options
    That is how I originally planned to mount the tire as well, but after looking at it I found that it would hit or even crush the bicycles in a turn, there is not enough room there.  I think I can mount it in front of the tongue box however; it should then allow for the clearance.  I just have to find the right mount, and I honestly have not yet gone looking.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Now that I think about it and go looking, I think something like this may do the trick.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Torres2906tabTorres2906tab Member Posts: 37
    Thanks everyone for the feedback and pics. Most helpful.
    Elaine ~ 2013 T@b U, aka Lei-la. TV 2010 GMC Terrain
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    Hi Everyone,
    I am also wondering where else to re-mount my spare. On a Clamshell model T@B, it is mounted under the back of the trailer and it looks like it would scrape on a pack of gum!!  On another site, they had found a mount for the tongue but also had said it wouldn't work with a clamshell model. If you mounted on the side of the tongue, like the above mount, is the weight being off to the side an issue? 
    Wanna Be T@B
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Foolish question from someone not looking at it... how do you remove the spare? Is it a crank down, like a pickup, or is it lug wrench hard bolted?
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    BryanRBryanR Member Posts: 32
    Mine was a lug wrench.
    Bryan & Vicki 2014 T@B CS-S MaXX ** 2016 Chevy Silverado Double Cab
    Transplanted Hoosier in Richmond, VA
    Go Colts!

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Mine's ngoing to get moved. I'm towing it right now, and since I put a new bumper (with receiver) on, my hitch ball is about an inch and a half taller. Not a huge deal, but yeah... that spare location leaves much to be desired. I'm dreading any speedbumps at our destination.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    JackStaubJackStaub Member Posts: 3
    geromo, Can you show which model you got from etrialer.com
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I'm happy with ours remounted on the front, in front of the battery/propane box. It was terrible trying to take it from the bottom, especially in the mud and snow.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    We decided that we will carry our spare on our TV roof rack.  Bought a 15 inch step to be able to reach it.  Wanted to limit the tongue weight.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited October 2016
    Being from MN - The Land of 10,000 Lakes and a billion boat trailers - It was just natural to side mount it to the tongue like every boat trailer I've ever seen :-)
    Was one of the first things I did.
  • Options
    RedDoorGalsRedDoorGals Member Posts: 23
    Nomad said:
    Being from MN - The Land of 10,000 Lakes and a billion boat trailers - It was just natural to side mount it to the tongue like every boat trailer I've ever seen :-)
    Was one of the first things I did.
    Nomad; I know this thread is from last year...but can you tell me (us) what name brand mount you used on the trailer for your spare? And where did you get the wheel cover? Thanks from a former Minnesotan! (nearly some 40 years ago!!)

2018 T@B CS-S; pulled by a 2010 Toyota Tacoma v6