Options

Dump When Leaving vs Dump When Arriving

NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
My normal procedure has always been to drain my fresh water into the sink, dump the black water and then the gray (all that fresh water flushes well) - Once dumped, I add a gallon of water to the black water tank (along with a bio tab) so it sloshes around cleaning the tank while out on the road. And last, depending on my next stop, I refill the fresh water tank.
But, I got to thinking that maybe I should just leave everything until I get to my next stop (unless that's boondocking) so the black water has plenty of time and road miles to break down the solids with the sloshing. It would mean traveling with extra weight but it would probably keep the black tank from collecting any unwanted solids.
Or, many one could alternate.

Comments

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    edited July 2015
    This guy did a test of the old ice cubes in the black water tank trick (I know, not exactly the same question) and after reading it all, I think I'm with Sandra. Dump when leaving unless there is some other impediment.

http://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/do-ice-cubes-in-the-rv-black-tank-really-work/
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Watch your tongue weight on some vehicles, moving that water forward.  The exterior fresh water tank on our T@B sits over the axle, so tongue weight really doesn't increase a lot.  The black tank on these trailers are so small, I think solid build up isn't that large of a concern.  Where the concern with the black tank, is when it is large flat and low profile, like a 20-40 gal tank, the water is dispered over a large area.  Our Winnebago View motorhome had a more rectangular tank which gave us no problems over 7 years.  We would empty and then add a couple gals of water with a tank tablet.
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    Interesting.  My dealer suggested to add a bucket of ice cubes on leaving and let the ice do its work on the trip to next destination.
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    I assume when dumping the black tank,  you are flushing water down in the tank after the initial dump.  Our dump procedure is:
    1 Open the dump valve.
    2 While valve is open, flush water in tank.
    3 While water is flushing in tank, close valve 
       and count to 100.
    4 Shut off water and open valve for final 
       flush.  Close valve.
    5 Add water with sewer tablet, unless your 
       trip is done.
    You will have to adjust the procedure for being only one person.  We have never had a problem with a black tank in 16 years of RVing.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    jdargis - Yep, I pour some water down while the valve is still open and then a gallon or so with a tab after it's closed.
  • Options
    OneotaOneota Member Posts: 17
    what is the ground clearance for the black water drain? TAB 320 Boondock?
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Oneota , my 2019 T@B 320S Boondock Lite is at 13 1/4" (call it 13" to be safe) up to the bottom of the drain cap.  I have the Rainier ST Apex tires on 15" wheels.  (Greg)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)