Options

Hot instead of cold, and no cold???

Brand new (OK, fine 3 months old) T@B 400 Boondock.  Brought it home to complete my de-winterizing that we started at a friends house a couple weeks ago and start loading non-perishables for our trip next weekend.

Well, the trip is still happening, but the plumbing ain't!  Hooked up to my hose, all the Nautilus knobs facing the right way to bypass the hot tank to flush the lines first, so far so good.  OK, lets switch the red so the hot tank gets flushed.  Hmm, no water from the faucet when set to hot, but still getting cold.  OK, maybe the hot water tank needs to be on, I'm plugged into my house, lets do it.  Give it a bit, turn on the hot, still no hot, what's going on?  Turn on the cold and...

It's hot?  Checked the shower, same thing, checked the shower sink, same thing, yet the toilet still flushes (didn't stick my hand in there to check.)  Turn the drain valves under the camper, nothing comes out of the hot drain, and hot water out of the cold drain???  So I call the service dept of the dealer I got it from.  Service guy calls me back, walks me through checking all the valves in the Alde box, the Nautilus, put some water in the fresh tank and run the pump.

And he's stumped.  So he's thinking there's a valve installed wrong somewhere in there that's got the water system all catty-wumpus, so they're going to look into it when we bring it to them on the 6th on our way home for the kinked water line.

Leave it to me to have the weird, odd ball problems!
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,218
    When you opened your hot water bypass lever could you hear water filling the Alde Flow tank? 

Also, try heating the water on propane. If you’re hooked to a regular 15-20 amp house outlet it could take while to even get warm. Propane is really fast in my experience. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 223
    @manyman297 yes the tank did fill when I switched from "bypass" to "normal."  And while it did take a while to get hot, it did get hot.  The problem is, it comes out hot when the faucets / shower head are set to cold...

And nothing comes out when the faucets are set to hot...

:| 
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,218
    Wow, that’s really odd! I would check the plumbing lines from the nautilus back to see where everything is routed. Try and keep some hot water running so you can feel the pipes for warmth (to verify if the cold lines are switched somehow). So strange that you aren’t getting anything when setting it to hot. 

Just another QC issue that should be taken care of before these leave the factory. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,529
    @Jay_and_Kat - I think there is a one way check valve on the Alde outflow.  If it is defective or installed backwards, I think you can end up with hot water backing up through the cold water line that feeds the Alde, resulting in hot water coming out of the cold taps.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,529
    Or, maybe the Alde outflow is occluded somehow.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 223
    @Sharon_is_SAM I think I spent close to an hour on the phone with the service manager from our dealer making sure everything *I* could check without more tools than a screwdriver were right and he's thinking the same as you.

Somewhere, a valve or something is in wrong...
    Jay and Kat