Options

Water Pump Noise

While on our maiden voyage we noticed that every time we opened any faucet in the camper, the water pump would engage. Wondering if the water pump should make a rumbling noise each time any faucet is used? 
Thanks in advance. 
Brian

2022 T@b 400bd
2022 F-150
Gratitude

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited June 2022
    Yes. Unless you are hooked up to city water via a hose, the water pump should kick in at some point when you open a faucet or flush the toilet, and turn off shortly after you close the faucet. This is how it maintains pressure in the system.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    B11B11 Member Posts: 42
    @VictoriaP Thank you! Much appreciated. 
    2022 T@b 400bd
    2022 F-150
    Gratitude
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    @B11 No problem! Two other things to watch for: the pump shouldn’t run for longer than a minute or so after the faucet/toilet valve is closed, and it shouldn’t kick on when all valves are closed. Either of these would indicate a probable leak somewhere in the system, and you’d need to triage that. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    You can also get a small marine water system accumulator tank, which will reduce the water pump run time, by using pressure from the tank to supply some water.  This is how most domestic well water systems work.  The pump pressurizes the accumulator tank, which then pushes water through the pipes, as water is used, pressure drops, the pump cycles back on to restore the pressure and flow.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    I just installed a Shurflo accumulator in my T@B400. I am on my third water pump in as many years. The third one just started making unusual noises so I decided to try an accumulator. In theory T@B owners shouldn't need one if they keep a water cushion in their water heater as advised by Alde. Even though I am diligent about that my Shurflo water pumps start making unusual noises after about a year. To be fair to Shurflo, I live in my T@B and use the water tank and pump exclusively for my fresh water supply so the pump gets a good workout. Anyway, trying something different I installed the accumulator and it appears to have helped. The pump runs less often and doesn't have such a jarring start and stop, and runs quieter. The unusual noise has stopped. Notice from my photo I chose to mount the accumulator about 2 feet away from the water pump due to space limitation near the pump. Since connecting hoses are not supplied I purchased two, coincidentally as parts of a water pump silencing kit. I am not good at assembling water hose and NPT connectors, mine always leak, so I bought 3-foot long preassembled hoses.

2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited August 2022
    Looks good Jim, and the hoses were about the right length.  I plan to add the accumulator tank to our TaB400 this summer, before our next trip.   It does help to reduce pump cycles, eliminate pressure shock issues in the pipes, and increases the pump life.  We run our own water company with two wells and a large water storage tank.  We have one large accumulator tank on the main well, and a smaller accumulator tank on the pump from the water storage tank s d secondary well.  Put a pressure gauge between the tank and the service water line, and you can tell of you have a leak, (including a check valve issue on pump) before loosing a lot of water.
     Cheers 

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    StepheninDenStepheninDen Member Posts: 29
    I also just installed an accumulator tank (SeaFlo 0.75L) in my 2014 T@B CS-S. I’ve had my T@B for a couple of years but only just started making any mods. This was my first plumbing venture 😅.  Install went well but took awhile due to the tight space. In the CS-S the water pump is in the kitchen hatch on top of the freshwater tank. 

One question. I was hoping that it would keep the pump from turning on at all for a nighttime bathroom trip or two but I only seem to get about a cup of water before the pump turns on (although it is quieter). Is this normal or do I need to adjust the tank pressure? Looks like the cut in pressure for my ShurFlo pump is 40 psi. I charged the tank to 38 psi per the installation instructions. Is anyone getting more “quiet time” from theirs? Thanks in advance for any advice!!