First trip weight jitters, looking for guidance

Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 215
Tomorrow the grand adventure starts and here's where we're at:
  • Tongue weight using a tongue scale: 380lbs
  • Roughly 2/3rds of a fresh tank of water on-board
  • Fridge currently empty
  • Trailer weight: not known currently
So the questions are more about the weighing of the trailer than anything else:
If we use the CAT Scales "Weigh my truck" app with a payment method already set up, we can just roll onto a scale, get weighed, and drive off without ever talking to the attendant?  Then tweak our tongue weight if needed by moving stuff around in the camper (preferably, I'd bet, NOT in the truck stop!)

Now, considering a T@B 400 Boondock doesn't have a lot of storage forward other than the front tub outside and the platforms, do we just pile stuff on the seats up front?  I'm thinking if the cooler we're going to initially carry the "must keep cold" stuff will fit through the door, maybe we put that up by the table, that'll put some weight up front...

Or I could install our bike rack (Jack-it Wing) the rest of the way, even though we're not taking the bikes along, that'd put another 30-40lbs or so up front...

Or, am I letting my nerves get the better of me, and we're likely in pretty good shape?
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    Relax, the Jeep Gladiator is a mid-size body on frame truck and you're well within its capabilities. No need to sweat it over 50 lbs here or there unless you carry a load of stuff in the bed as well.
  • Options
    @Grumpy_G I think I'm more concerned about the tongue weight possibly being on the low side, and catching a case of the "wiggles" going down the freeway!  As for the bed, nah, not much in there, maybe all told another 100lbs (couple camp recliners, small propane stove for outdoor, camp table.)
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    edited June 2022
    You can run through all the numbers in theory until you are dizzy. Just get out there and watch how the trailer behaves then make adjustments. Enjoy!
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,008
    Typically you want 10-15% tongue weight.  I know you have not weighed the trailer but with 380 pounds I'd say your right around 10%.  I think you are going to be just fine.  Like @Grumpy_G said, relax.  Just tow at reasonable speeds and get a feet for the trailer in different conditions and enjoy yourselves.   If you feel you need more tongue weight adjust things.  I've never weighed my tongue or trailer weight on my 2021 400 and it tows fine behind our truck.  It is a full size truck but you should be just fine. 

On an unrelated note, is there a reason you only filled the water tank 2/3 full?  I recommend towing with either an empty tank, if you have hook ups at camp, or with a completely full tank.  Anything less than full can result in water sloshing around more.  I usually tow with a full tank even if I will have water available just in case there is an issue when I get there and the water is shut off.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    @bergger the campground we're heading to doesn't have water hookups and we're also dealing with a very odd plumbing issue (see my post history about it.)  I'd thought about the possibility of sloshing, but I figure I should be OK with it where it's at as it's still mostly full.
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    I don't think the water sloshing will pose much of an issue, simply because the tank is not tall. That naturally limits how much weight can shift around front/rear or left/right.
    As for the tongue possibly being too light, that typically doesn't happen with travel trailers unless all of the allowable payload is put at the very back. It can happen with toy haulers if the vehicle loaded in the back is heavier than the trailer was designed for. It can easily happen with utility trailers.
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 271
    Enjoy your trip!
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited July 2022
    Since yay, since your campground does not have a water hookup, your should fill your water tank all the way full, or close to it.  I tried towing our TaB400 with a 1/2 water tank, and had issues with the trailer bouncing a bit.  Once the tank was full, the trailer towed much better.  The water tank is over the axle so it will add stability by keeping the trailer’s center of gravity lower.  We tow our TaB400 with a Gladiator Sport also, very capable TV.   

As for packing, putting the cooler under the gable, or next to it is a good idea.  Also you have a locker under thr passenger side front dinette seat, stick ykur canned goods in there and extra water bottles.  This should help shift some weight on the tongue, as will putting water bottles in the front tub, and or any tools you want to carry with you.  Have a good trip.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    PhilWPhilW Member Posts: 12
    I pull a 320S Boondock Edge with my '16 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. Pulling your 400 with the Gladiator (greater towing capacity) should be no issue.
    I have an E-Z Up canopy that I load on the Yakima Rack in back and and extra propane tank on the front.
    I put a Camp Chef Stove on the floor while traveling along with a couple storage tubs with camping essentials.
    I have often wondered about the weight distribution but I have not experienced any issues. I have a friction sway control with my hitch. I like to cross the Mackinaw Bridge and bought the sway control because of frequent high winds. I have only experienced "wobble" one time when driving over 70 in high wind and forgot to tighten the friction bar down. I pulled off at the next exit and tighten it down and all was good. I think you will travel just fine with your set up. Happy travels!