Options

AirCon taking a leak when we packed up camp...

OK, trying to be funny in the title, sorry if it didn't work, but...
We ran the AC a couple times during our last trip, one hot night and one hot day when we went out to try to keep the interior comfortable (worked, too,) and when we were packing up camp and hooked up to the TV, good LORD did the AC box have a lot of condensation to drain out!

Now, I'll be honest, I didn't notice if it was draining any before we hitched, while it was running, and we didn't see any water incursion up front where the AC sits, so I'm not overly worried about this, more just wondering if I should be more worried that there was that much still in the AC box (AC had been off for over 24hrs.)

One would think the box might be shaped similar to a shower floor, a slight slope down on all sides to the drain, but I'm suspecting that's not the case (both from a "easy to manufacture" standpoint and a "cost to manufacture" standpoint.)
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    ScrunchyScrunchy Member Posts: 11
    Had my 2017 CS-S since new and I just started using a digital level to get extremely level (OCD and tool guy lol) Well when at level the AC pan is not and I had condensation dipping inside. I now have to tilt down a few degrees .02  degrees (again OCD) to get the water to flow forward towards the drain.  Before the technology I just made sure the sinks drained well. The “KISS” system always worked lol. No more tech for me, water flow to drains in sink and shower, water flow to condensate drain.
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    I am no AC engineer but my 2019 unit when level maintains a small amount of water in the pan beneath the coil where hot air exhausts. It drains slowly (drips) to the outside on our hot and humid TN days. I have read that the pan of water helps keep the coil cooler via some evaporation and thus improve efficiency. We have not had water in the under bunk areas as a result of use these last 2 years, but we do notice the increase in drainage when we hook up to leave.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited July 2022
    Yes, this is normal, not all the water drains out during use, and all window ACs work this way (per qhumberd’d post above).  The excess water drains away during use, but some water is retained to help cool the unit .  You can lower the tongue a bit below level, and most of the water will drain out.  The rest will disappear during towing, some drips outside are normal. We never had water leak to the inside either.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 217
    I figured the water was from the condenser (and some of it might've been from the HARD rain we had one night,) and knowing there's a pan expressly to catch the drippings from the AC, I'm more at ease now.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Jay and Kat
    Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
    Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge